Simply Automated or PCS UPB PIM with Panel

ano

Has anyone successfully used a Simply Automated or PCS UPB PIM with an OMNI Pro II panel?  I bought the Leviton/HAI PIM cable, but it looks like this connects an HAI/Leviton PIM to a PC which is not the direction I want.  Does anyone know where you can get the cable or at least the pin to pin wiring I need to build a cable.  I have never been able to get this to work.  I also have to put the PIM in message mode before connecting, correct?

The serial cable pinout is in the OmniPro docs.
There are diagrams of both the Omni modular and the DB9 connectors.

HAI (Leviton) also sells a premade modular to DB9 serial cable.
You could also use a DB9 to RJ45 changer hooked to the SA PIM and use the modular serial cable.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/18029-rj12-to-db9-pinouts-for-nuvo-grand-concerto-to-omni-pro-ii/

https://sites.google.com/a/ili.co.nz/hai-wiki/serial-connections

OmniTouch_Loader.JPG

HA21A052.jpg

http://kb.homeauto.com/admin/virtual/imgs/OnBoard%20Serial%20Pinout.JPG

Desert_AIP said:
HAI (Leviton) also sells a premade modular to DB9 serial cable.

Yes, it is amazing how many different HAI cables there are out there, unfortunately they are the wrong cables.  I purchased one that allows you to connect an HAI PIM to your computer. Logical because they want you to use their PIM with PC Access.

The cable you listed is also the wrong one, as is the diagram. This is the cable that connects a serial port on the Omni to a computer port.  This cable connects the panel to a computer for PC Access.  This cable has a FEMALE RS-232 cable which connects to the MALE RS-232 on a computer. Again, a logical cable for a logical function, just not the one I need. Close but no cigar.

A UPB PIM has a FEMALE serial connector so a cable would need a MALE serial connector. HAI doesn't have great motivation to make this cable because it means you are connecting another company's PIM to their panel. 

I can figure out the transmit lead, the receive lead and the ground, but my question is, for this application, do I need to connect any other wires? 

I don't think you need any other connections. 
I use an SA PIM with a USB to RS-232 converter cable on my PC.  USB only has 4 pins.
I've also used it with an RJ-45 to DB9 converter to use Cat5 cable.
The wiring for male to female DB9 should just be routed to the correct pin.
Or you could try a gender changer.

I know this post is quite old but there was never a clear "this worked" or "this didn't work" posted. I have a SA PIM and need to connect my Omnipro 2 panel to this PIM. I need a male DB9 to RJ11 cable but am really confused as to what pins go where. The OP2 literature talks about DB9 outputs 7 and 8 being connected as well as 1,4 and 6. They also have a pic stating "6 conductor wire" from the HAI PIM to serial port 3, and to top it off the TX and RX pin out to RJ11 seem to be swapped on their diagram when comparing it to what Pete and others have posted.

Help! Did anyone here get theirs to work? Does anyone (by any chance) remember what pins went where and if those interconnects mentioned above need to be made? Thanks!!

Pete made me this great cable, and it worked 95% of the time, but it would occasionally miss some transmissions. Maybe it was that the SA or PCS PIMs were slightly slower than the HAI PIM and the panel maybe uses a timing that works with the HAI PIM but sometimes not with the PCS PIM or SA PIM. Don't know for sure.

Here have only utilized the HAI UPB PIM with my OmniPro 2 panel. 

Over the years have purchased spares HAI UPB PIMs and SA USB and Serial PIMs. 

I did lose (crash and burn) one serial SA PIM some time ago.

I use one as a mobile laptop floater and others are left on line to check on the UPB network for noise occasionally.

Thinking of writing a blog / DIY here relating to making a portable UPB floater with an attached RPi3 such that it works wired or wirelessly.

Today the floaters are hardwired to serial to network devices.

For the OP2 panel serial wise you only utilize the center 4 pins.  Really just need RX, TX and Ground.  There are more drawings here relating to the pin outs for the OP2 RJ to RS-232 and RJ HAI UPB PIM.

Personally here purchased unpinned RS-232 to RJ baluns and made a large drawing for the RS-232 pin outs on the RJ to RS232 piece.

These are numbered RS-232 wise and just matched the colors.

Test it with one UPB device and a keypad or Omnitouch console.  If the RX/TX leads are switched it will not work.  That said it will not break your panel or PIM.   I have in the past switched the RX/TX lines and just cut them and resoldered them adding heat shrink tubing with no issues.

Recently here have downsized my serial cables going to the OP2 panel.  Went to old fashioned 4 wire flat telephone cable and using RJ-11s instead of RJ-12's.  Each end with a jack and I think all I did was flip the cable to get these to work.

Thanks ano and Pete! I especially like the comment about not frying my panel if the wiring isn't correct. I'll give it a try and report back here, but it may be a while. I'm building and not yet ready for the install - just trying to get as much done ahead of time as possible. Thanks again for the follow-up to this discussion!

Here is a drawing.  Note the center 4 pins.  Recently here switched over to using the 4 wire RJ-11 jacks which only fit in one way do 4 pin connections as the default HAI cables are using RJ-12 jacks and 6 wire flat cable.

serialpinout.jpg

On one port I am using a Zigbee ZIM here which utilizes the RS-485 jumper and 12VDC to supply power to the ZIM.

I just googled a close up picture.  Note that all of the jumpers on this board / picture are to the left which is the default position.  Note too that in this picture an RJ11 jack and cable are being utilized.

jumper.jpg

In this picture an RJ12 (6PIN) jack and cable are being used.

6pin.jpg

Here utilize UPB (4 pin), ZWave (4 pin), Zigbee (6 pin), Russound (4 pin), Serial to PC (4 pin) and X10 (4 pin).

The serial to pc connection works fine with PCA.

For the SA PIM with an RS-232 port on it - you can utilize a standard HAI RJ to Serial plug (9 pin)
This is the same cable I use for the Russound zoned audio box.

For the HAI PIM RJ to RJ it is just a flat 6 pin cable with RJ12's on each end which you can crimp easy like.
Looking at my cable this morning the RJ11 tab is on the same side as the little line on the RJ11 cable.

rs232.jpg

@Russ55

Recommendation is to purchase an HAI UPB PIM with cable sold on Amazon and keep your SA as a floating spare.

For using the SA UPB PIM with your panel you can purchase the standard HAI serial cable with 9 PIN HAI RJ connector on Amazon.

I have used these cables and they work fine (for my Russound).  Note that this is a different cable than the one that is used for the HAI UPB PIM.

post-1510-0-11644600-1515077595_thumb.jpg

Leviton 21A05-2 Serial PC Cable

Also be aware, I'm not sure if you are hoping to use the same PIM with UPStart and the panel, but that is usually a bad idea. The panel uses "message" mode and UPStart uses "pulse" mode. I think UPStart will automatically set the PIM to pulse mode, but the panel won't switch to message mode. You have to do this manually and its a pain.

pete_c said:
@Russ55

Recommendation is to purchase an HAI UPB PIM with cable sold on Amazon and keep your SA as a floating spare.
Thanks Pete. I think this is probably the best/safest option .... however if I were to create a cable with a 4 wire RJ11 going to a DB9 RS232 do you have any insight into this diagram (page 23 of the OP2 manual) especially with regards to the interconnects on the DB9 end? (ie. Does 7&8 need to be connected as well as well as 1,4&6?)
image.jpeg
The other part of the puzzle is the pic on the same page showing the serial port - if you follow the leads the TX and RX leads are reversed compared to the pic right above.
image.jpeg

ano said:
Also be aware, I'm not sure if you are hoping to use the same PIM with UPStart and the panel, but that is usually a bad idea. The panel uses "message" mode and UPStart uses "pulse" mode. I think UPStart will automatically set the PIM to pulse mode, but the panel won't switch to message mode. You have to do this manually and its a pain.
Thanks ano. I'm not planning on multiple use for the PIM. I just ended up with a couple of extra SA PIMs that I'm trying to put to use. That being said, after your comments regarding Petes cable and comments from others I'm probably going to end up buying an HAI PIM for use with the OP2 panel. I wasn't aware of the different modes - thanks - I learn something new every day on this site!

Back