Simply Automated or PCS UPB PIM with Panel

however if I were to create a cable with a 4 wire RJ11 going to a DB9 RS232 do you have any insight into this diagram (page 23 of the OP2 manual) especially with regards to the interconnects on the DB9 end? (ie. Does 7&8 need to be connected as well as well as 1,4&6?)

The very first cable I made for the HAI RS-232 I followed the first drawing above.

if you follow the leads the TX and RX leads are reversed compared to the pic right above.

Yes the RX goes to the TX.

TX on one device goes to the RX of the other device. Otherwise you'd be transmitting into the other ends transmitter. Wouldn't work.

As far as the pulse/message mode. I've been using an SAI PIM in pulse mode for years with no problem.
Never found out why they say to use message mode. Maybe it's for HLC?? Which I don't use

For the Simply Automated UMC-DB9-W with a Standard DB9 (female) connector you will need to make the male-RS-232 to RJ connector for use with your Omnipro panel.

Thinking the PCS UPB is the same with a standard DB9 (female) connector.

Googling Amazon see:

StarTech.com DB9 to RJ45 Modular Adapter - M/F (GC98MF) for $1.28.
Looks like this:

rs232.jpg

and crimp two RJ11 or RJ12 jacks to each side of a flat 6 wire or 4 wire cable. 

Recall from above the line on the flat cable is the same on both sides.

Here is a 6-wire data cable for $7.95 on Amazon:  (note do not use the outer two pins in your RJ to RS-232 balun).

TENINYU RJ12 6P6C 6 Conductor Straight Modular Telephone Data Extension Flat Cord Cable Silver -12FT, 2 Pack

Here are more pictures to help you.

Do not assume that the colors will be the same as in this picture.  Use a voltmeter to test the leads.
db9torj45.jpg

rs232.jpg

This Simply Automated document does a good job of explaining pulse mode and message mode of a PIM. 
http://www.simply-automated.com/tech_specs/PimComm1.5a.pdf

The modes are not interchangeable. As this HAI document explains, http://www.leviton.com/en/docs/DI-021-HL361-05A-W.pdf
an Omni controller will only communicate with a PIM in Message Mode.

On the other-hand, UpStart can not get the information it needs unless the PIM is in Pulse Mode.

HAI has published a Knowledge-base explanation on the issue here.. http://kb.homeauto.com/default.asp?id=682&Lang=1&SID=

I have never changed any of my PIMS. and have used all three of them with Upstart and the panel.

Frunple said:
TX on one device goes to the RX of the other device. Otherwise you'd be transmitting into the other ends transmitter. Wouldn't work.
Thanks Frunple and Pete. I thought about what you point out above but was confused about where the transition occurs, with there being an adapter at one end of the cable. It seems so clear now! Thanks again.

Thinking you mentioned two SA UPB serial PIMs.  You can leave one connected to your Omni Panel with cable and use the other one as a floater.

While it looks a bit confounding recall that you are really only using 3 wires: RX, TX and ground with your OmniPanel. 

The only unique PIM here is the HAI ZIM which does utilize the 6 wires and voltage and jumper to drive the ZIM display stuff. 

Z-Wave / X10 also utilizes only 3 wires.

pete_c said:
Thinking you mentioned two SA UPB serial PIMs.  You can leave one connected to your Omni Panel with cable and use the other one as a floater.
That was my plan. I've also got a Pulseworx Gateway in my current house (that serves as a PIM) which I will probably be taking with me - which was why I am trying not to buy yet another PIM.

Thanks again for all the info - I will repost if I have issues with the cable and SA PIM.

Back