Haiku Remote access with Haiku?

wdeertz

Have Haiku configured for use on my local network but can't see anywhere to configure remote access. In the IP address I've put my local IP address. I've added port 4369 to forward to my local network address and have dyndns setup to point to my dynamic public IP address. Should I use the dyndns address for both when within my local network and for remote access?

Any help is appreciated.

wdeertz said:
Have Haiku configured for use on my local network but can't see anywhere to configure remote access. In the IP address I've put my local IP address. I've added port 4369 to forward to my local network address and have dyndns setup to point to my dynamic public IP address. Should I use the dyndns address for both when within my local network and for remote access?
Any help is appreciated.
Ok I'm able to connect remotely if I change all my IP addresses to my dynamic IP name. I suppose I can have two controllers in Haiku and label one remote access and one local access but this doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution. Am I missing something or is this the only way to access the system both locally and remotely?

You should be able to use the remote dynamic URL from within your home LAN if your router and firewall are set up correctly, and just use one profile.
Otherwise, yes you'll need one profile with the local IP address and one with the dynamic URL.

Some people like using two profiles so they aren't sending traffic out onto the net and right back when they are home.
But you do have to switch profiles when you do this.

Otherwise, just stay with the remote URL profile since it works for you and you don't want to switch back and forth.

I think most routers are smart enough to loop back the connection without going out to the Internet. You can test this with a trace route.

Desert_AIP said:
You should be able to use the remote dynamic URL from within your home LAN if your router and firewall are set up correctly, and just use one profile.
Otherwise, yes you'll need one profile with the local IP address and one with the dynamic URL.

Some people like using two profiles so they aren't sending traffic out onto the net and right back when they are home.
But you do have to switch profiles when you do this.

Otherwise, just stay with the remote URL profile since it works for you and you don't want to switch back and forth.
I like the idea of only having one profile.  I've changed my settings to the Controller address being "http://mydynname.dyndns.org" and the controller port "4369" which works perfectly for accessing from outside my home network.  However when I try to access while on my home network it will not connect.  I looked in the router settings and I have dynamic routing enabled so would think the router would look to the dns and then route to correct internal IP address. 

Any ideas of what I need to do to get this to connect while on my home network?

How does the home LAN know the DDNS URL is local without first pinging the DDNS Server?

Do you have to set that up in your local router?

I like the idea of only having one profile.  I've changed my settings to the Controller address being "http://mydynname.dyndns.org" and the controller port "4369" which works perfectly for accessing from outside my home network.  However when I try to access while on my home network it will not connect.  I looked in the router settings and I have dynamic routing enabled so would think the router would look to the dns and then route to correct internal IP address. 

Any ideas of what I need to do to get this to connect while on my home network?

I had this same problem when I first set eevrything up.
But that was several years ago and my memory is foggy.

I can't recall if it was something with the Win7 firewall, or a problem with my modem.
My Westell modem has a routing function built in, and I use a spearate router.
So my router was connecting to the Westell Router which was connected to the modem.
And the port was only forwarded on the primary router.
Once I discovered there was a second router in the chain, and disabled it, everything worked fine.

I know that was a problem, but can't recall if it was the primary issue keeping me from accessing using the DNS URL at home.
I resolved the access issue, I just can't remember how.

How does your DNS server update your local IP address? Is it done automatically or do you have to log in to update it?

Desert_AIP said:

I had this same problem when I first set eevrything up.
But that was several years ago and my memory is foggy.

I can't recall if it was something with the Win7 firewall, or a problem with my modem.
My Westell modem has a routing function built in, and I use a spearate router.
So my router was connecting to the Westell Router which was connected to the modem.
And the port was only forwarded on the primary router.
Once I discovered there was a second router in the chain, and disabled it, everything worked fine.

I know that was a problem, but can't recall if it was the primary issue keeping me from accessing using the DNS URL at home.
I resolved the access issue, I just can't remember how.

How does your DNS server update your local IP address? Is it done automatically or do you have to log in to update it?
I am using a Linksys AC1700 router connected to a motorola cable modem.  The router automatically updates the dyndns IP address.  The funny thing is that it works fine when outside the home network.  When on the home network the router must not be redirecting to the internal IP address.  I was looking at the router settings, do I need to setup a static route?

I need to look at my router table.
I may have associated the local IP address with the DDNS URL in the router.

No matter what, even if you're accessing the remote IP, the traffic wouldn't be going out to the internet.  The worst thing that'd happen is your phone would have to go out and hit the DNS server to find the IP address... then you'd access the IP - your phone would hit the IP which wouldn't go straight to the omni - because it's using an external IP - but it'd go through the router and the router would loop it straight back to the omni.  That's an extra hop but you wouldn't be able to even tell it was happening.  The data still wouldn't be leaving the home.

The problem you seem to be having is a fairly common one where the router isn't allowing the NAT Hairpinning.  In netgear routers this happens automatically; but in other brands it doesn't; sometimes you can override or enable it other times you can't.  In Cisco terms it's "NAT on a stick".  It can also be referenced as NAT Loopback.  You'd need to research if your router has this ability... otherwise you're stuck with two profiles.

Back