Omnipro network issues

dj2099113

So there is an Omnipro system installed into a church that I manage their network. Tons of love hate relationships with it but here’s the current issue.

The panel is setup for a static IP confirmed by the keypad and there is a network cable connected to it currently. The network port on the panel is a little loose but making connection as indicated by the activity lights on the panel and my switch but I’m not able to connect or fully interact with the panel. It also doesn’t show up in my ip scans but there is one persons phone that uses the app that the app still works for them.

This all started a couple weeks ago, lighting hit my modem and we had it replaced by Comcast and when we switched it out with their new modem we started having connectivity issues. I’ve checked the ports and the modem is in bridge mode behind a ubiquiti router.

I’m extremely confused and not sure how to handle this situation.

Last edited:
Hello dj2099113,
When the router was replaced, the church sub net could have changed. What is the OmniPro ip and what is the ip of your PC? What is the router ip?
What is the dhcp range on the router?
Can you ping the OmniPro? When you had the lightning strike any number of devices on the network could have been damaged.

Hello dj2099113,
When the router was replaced, the church sub net could have changed. What is the OmniPro ip and what is the ip of your PC? What is the router ip?
What is the dhcp range on the router?
Can you ping the OmniPro? When you had the lightning strike any number of devices on the network could have been damaged.
The subnet and everything associated with it is still the same. The network flows as follows

Modem> ubiquiti router> switch > Omnipro

The modem got replaced and placed on bridge mode and the router is doing the DHCP server. But I can’t ping the panel nor see it in an ip scan

You could try hooking a pc directly to the OmniPro. Manually set the PC ip to be on the same subnet as the OmniPro.
try a ping then.

Okay so heres what i've been able to find. Directly connecting allows me to see it when i scan the network. The ping im getting is upwards of 2000ms, which is why im assuming im not able to connect. But it's very intermittent connectivity. I can access it sometimes, and then other times i can't.

1. Did you try swapping the cable?
  2. Verify subnet mask/gateway looks good on both sides.
  3. Try the netstat -s command (before and after plugging in, so you can see what counters increased).
  4. Play with hardcording the speed/duplex settings (100Mbps/Full Duplex).
  5. Have you tried rebooting the panel since you hooked up directly?

This all started a couple weeks ago, lighting hit my modem and we had it replaced by Comcast and when we switched it out with their new modem we started having connectivity issues.

Lightning could have damaged more than the XFinity modem.

For Rebooting panel unplug battery and power supply to the panel and then reconnect it.

Do a direct connect to the panel with your laptop and PC

Copy and paste your results here on the forum.

All that the panel provides is a static IP address.

As @dwalt mentions you could have a bad network port on the panel. That said that you see blinking LEDs next to the network port is a good sign.

This all started a couple weeks ago, lighting hit my modem and we had it replaced by Comcast and when we switched it out with their new modem we started having connectivity issues.

Lightning could have damaged more than the XFinity modem.

For Rebooting panel unplug battery and power supply to the panel and then reconnect it.

Do a direct connect to the panel with your laptop and PC

Copy and paste your results here on the forum.

All that the panel provides is a static IP address.

As @dwalt mentions you could have a bad network port on the panel. That said that you see blinking LEDs next to the network port is a good sign.

I do agree with everyone lightning may have damaged that port. I've experienced this first hand myself, multiple times. Although after seeing so many OP panels having issues with 'modern' network traffic, definitely worth isolating/testing as suggested.

1. Did you try swapping the cable?
  2. Verify subnet mask/gateway looks good on both sides.
  3. Try the netstat -s command (before and after plugging in, so you can see what counters increased).
  4. Play with hardcording the speed/duplex settings (100Mbps/Full Duplex).
  5. Have you tried rebooting the panel since you hooked up directly?
1 yes tried multiple cables I had no bueno
2. Checked that part and also change the IP address to see if that was the issue but it ended up not being
3. Will do that today or tomorrow and I'll tell you the results on that
4 I tried that with the ubiquiti router, then I ended up taking the ubiquity router out of the conversation and just went modem straight to the panel and still nothing
5 yes I did a manual reboot the first day of troubleshooting

I'm going to do the direct test probably today when I get to the church but what options do I have available if the port on the panel is messed up?

Lol you wouldn't believe what happened. So on Saturday we took the router out of the equation and just ran everything into the comcast modem thru the switch. The Network was as follows now: Modem>Switch>OmniPro2

It was doing the same intermittent thing when we were leaving so i just chalked it up to more testing i would have to do.

I come today to test and everything is connecting and working fine like there we're never any issues. Lol i guess it was the router but who know at this point. I'll do some more testing over the coming weeks but i guess we're golden LOL.

Not the first time I've seen this (most in IT will have encountered this). Could be some sort of ARP/buffer issue on the network port, hopefully a one-time issue, but definitely keep an eye on it. Thanks for the update!

Hey,
Was tagged in this thread, Just so that everyone knows HAI omniPro systems and Omnitouch 5.7e displays all run at 10M not 100m. My managed Netgear POE switch was a pain to setup until I realized I wanted everything to run at 100M or greater. Once I allowed it to connect at lower speeds the OmniPro 2 panel and the Omnitouch displays all connected. Check you setting on your switch incase it wont allow a slower 10M connection.
If that doesn't work, (might sound like a dumb idea) but what happens when you support the network cable in a different position? i.e. it normally hangs down and applies downward pressure on the port, if you support the cable in an upward direction and apply upward pressure will it connect properly? Because the router was changed out, with someone rooting around, was the applied pressure on the cable/connector changed. If this works, you can simply resolder the terminals of the network port or have it changed out for a new one.
Just because you have the green activity light active on the port doesn't mean you have all the required connection needed for connectivity! Does the yellow/orange light show any activity?
Thanks,
Nick

Back