M1XEP question

reko19

I am getting an error message when using send / receive on M1XEP Setup screen. A popup screen: "Invalid IP Address or Gateway Submet Mask. The static IP Address and default gateway are not in the same subnet as defined by the subnet mask. Please consult with your IT professional or ISP for correct value".I think it is worth mentioning that I have "assigned an IP address via DHCP" checked. I think it only became an issue when I switched from FIOS to Comcast. I could connect to my Elk using ElkRP2, also could connect using iPhone and eKeypad. Also, IP address 10.0.0.27 is correct, as assigned by my comcast router. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 37
Is there a reason why it must be DHCP? Personally with the M1, I like to use a static and set the router to have a reserved DHCP for the static address of the XEP and then port forward/open firewall as needed.

What is the IP range of your LAN?

Have you tried changing the radio box to "static" and blowing out the values for IP, Sub, and GW?

DELInstallations said:
Is there a reason why it must be DHCP? Personally with the M1, I like to use a static and set the router to have a reserved DHCP for the static address of the XEP and then port forward/open firewall as needed.

What is the IP range of your LAN?

Have you tried changing the radio box to "static" and blowing out the values for IP, Sub, and GW?
I use DHCP only because it seems to be easier.  I guess I could use static but I am not sure how to find out what I could use on my comcast router.  Haven't tried deleting all the entries for IP, Sub, and GW will give it a shot. I am not sure how they got populated to be honest. Thanks for the reply.

Delete those IP fields, and if DHCP is necessary, then you need to change the IP assigned by the router to be a DHCP reserved to the XEP after the router assigns the IP to the XEP. Then you can keep the XEP as DHCP, however it does open up further possible complications (if you're not used to networking) should the IP change for whatever reason....that's why on the LAN I like to use a static and then let the network gear reserve that DHCP address for the XEP only.

After that, assuming your home does not have a WAN static IP, you need to work on a DNS service for the WAN/LAN bridging and finally get the XEP to the outside world by opening up the necessary ports in the firewall and make sure your ISP does not block the ports.

DELInstallations said:
Delete those IP fields, and if DHCP is necessary, then you need to change the IP assigned by the router to be a DHCP reserved to the XEP after the router assigns the IP to the XEP. Then you can keep the XEP as DHCP, however it does open up further possible complications (if you're not used to networking) should the IP change for whatever reason....that's why on the LAN I like to use a static and then let the network gear reserve that DHCP address for the XEP only.

After that, assuming your home does not have a WAN static IP, you need to work on a DNS service for the WAN/LAN bridging and finally get the XEP to the outside world by opening up the necessary ports in the firewall and make sure your ISP does not block the ports.
I did 2601 port forwarding for 10.0.0.27 which is the address assigned by my router. Do I need to do anything special to use static IP, or could I use the same 10.0.0.27 and just change it from DHCP to static?  I do need to figure out how to use DNS service, for now I am able to connect from the outside world using IP address assigned by my ISP. Thx.

reko19 said:
could I use the same 10.0.0.27 and just change it from DHCP to static?

Yes.  Also change the gateway address.  It's probably 10.0.0.1.

reko19 said:
 I do need to figure out how to use DNS service, for now I am able to connect from the outside world using IP address assigned by my ISP. Thx.

DNS has nothing to do with connecting from the WAN.  It's the mechanism for resolving named sites for email, time, etc.

He's never going to be able to hit the XEP from the outside world because the IP range he provided is a class A network. Strictly an IP range provided by a router. He would need to know the WAN IP in order to get to the XEP from the outside world via NAT provided by the switch.

Hence DNS services....because it's doubtful he has a static IP and can be subject to his IP changing dynamically over time....he needs something to keep that updated.

I'm pretty sure this is a fresh install right and your talking about send/receive to the xep itself and not the m1.

One the screen shot in first shot, something is wrong. Looks like you entered your IP as seen from outside your home (WAN). You need to assign local IP on the same subnet and it can be anything you want. (192.168.1.1##).

Don't run DHCP if you have other local software that needs to communicate with it, well really just don't run it.

3 easy steps for the Xep being put into static.

1) just left of the RJ-45 is a jumper pin. Its used to switch the device between static and dhcp , when you can't gain access through IP connection.
2) once you have some form of access you can specifically assign an IP through the RP software like you have posted above, make sure to send the changes to the XEP which will need a reboot.
3) reserve a static IP through your router based on the devices MAC address. (This is optional)

Elk sets the static IP on the device from the factory to a very uncommon subnet. I don't recall what it is, but it might be in the paperwork. Just follow the step 1 as written by elk in the manual. This will require a couple xep reboots until you get the XEP into DHCP mode and your router assigns a IP on the same subnet.

Do this make sense?

reko19 said:
I am getting an error message when using send / receive on M1XEP Setup screen. A popup screen: "Invalid IP Address or Gateway Submet Mask. The static IP Address and default gateway are not in the same subnet as defined by the subnet mask. Please consult with your IT professional or ISP for correct value".I think it is worth mentioning that I have "assigned an IP address via DHCP" checked. I think it only became an issue when I switched from FIOS to Comcast. I could connect to my Elk using ElkRP2, also could connect using iPhone and eKeypad. Also, IP address 10.0.0.27 is correct, as assigned by my comcast router. Any help is appreciated.
It looks like you are using a Dory device from Comcast. First off the gateway is incorrect as you are using a class C ip address when it should be "10.0.0.1" which is a Class A, your subnet mask looks correct, and if your device assigned you 10.0.0.27 I'll assume thats fine as well. Use those credentials and set them as a static on the XEP and for your DNS settings( also setup as static) google your Comcast DNS settings for your region and use the primary and secondary DNS addresses. Forward port 2601 under port fowarding and you should be able to access your ELK outside your network.

reko19 said:
Do I need to do anything special to use static IP, or could I use the same 10.0.0.27 and just change it from DHCP to static?
jpmargis said:
Yes.  Also change the gateway address.  It's probably 10.0.0.1
Sorry - but NO! This is really bad advice.  If the XEP isn't still on DHCP then it won't be sending out the regular messages to the router to ask for an address and confirm it's still on the network - so the router will drop the DHCP reservation and consider that address to be available to assign and end up assigning it to another device on the network creating IP Address conflicts.  

When configuring DHCP on a router you can usually specify the range of IP addresses to give out.  For home I always (out of habit) change them to give out .100-.254 which means that you can use up to .99 for your static devices to your heart's content.  All DHCP addresses will be higher and 154 devices is plenty for a home.  I make printers, routers, switches, and anything else I would need to tie software to or automate static.

snesgenesis said:
It looks like you are using a Dory device from Comcast. First off the gateway is incorrect as you are using a class C ip address when it should be "10.0.0.1" which is a Class A, your subnet mask looks correct, and if your device assigned you 10.0.0.27 I'll assume thats fine as well. Use those credentials and set them as a static on the XEP and for your DNS settings( also setup as static) google your Comcast DNS settings for your region and use the primary and secondary DNS addresses. Forward port 2601 under port fowarding and you should be able to access your ELK outside your network.
Just because his IP is 10.0.0.1 doesn't guarantee he's using a Class A (if classes even existed anymore - the concept of classful networks has been dead for many years - networks are classless these days).  Technically it could be a /29 network with a mask of 255.255.255.248 if it were so carved; the reality is that despite the 10.0.0.1 IP his SM is 99.9% likely to be 255.255.255.0.

OK, I haven't had a chance to play with it since Elk is not installed at my house.  However, I think I have enough info to troubleshoot.  Will report back.  Not sure if I was clear, but I am able to access M1XEP from ELKRP over WIFI and from the outside world.  I could also see M1XEP when I use find button under ELKRP M1XEP setup. I could implement changes on M1XEP not by using send on ELKRP (this when i get error message posted in my first post), but when I exit ELKRP it gets uploaded to M1XEP.  I do have a comcast xfinity router, was able to download manual and default subnet mask is correct. Also was able to google primary and secondary DNS settings for comcast. I don't have a static IP on my comcast service so once I enter these DNS settings and chose "specify DNS address to use" I no longer have to worry about comcast changing my IP address?  Thanks everyone.

Comcast can change the provided [external] IP address at any time. However, generally it's only done when there is a change of modem hardware.

Similarly, if DHCP is used (and not programmed as reserved), the internal IP address could also change. This is why using a static IP is recommended.

If either of those addresses change you would no longer have external access.

The DNS, or Domain Name System, setting you enter on the XEP is used by the XEP to reach the outside world. The XEP can reach out for things like NTP (time server), email, DDNS updating, etc. Entering the DNS address does not keep Comcast from changing the external IP address they assign. Due to the unknown timing that the ISP (Comcast here) can change that external address, many users will setup a DDNS account, which then maps to the ISP provided IP address. This way, even if the address changes, the domain name can still resolve to the correct IP address; this assume the DNS updater is working properly.

drvnbysound said:
The DNS, or Domain Name System, setting you enter on the XEP is used by the XEP to reach the outside world. The XEP can reach out for things like NTP (time server), email, DDNS updating, etc. Entering the DNS address does not keep Comcast from changing the external IP address they assign. Due to the unknown timing that the ISP (Comcast here) can change that external address, many users will setup a DDNS account, which then maps to the ISP provided IP address. This way, even if the address changes, the domain name can still resolve to the correct IP address; this assume the DNS updater is working properly.
So if i want to get email notifications, I have to enter DNS address? I was able to use lavabit before it was shutdown, but I used actual IP address for their mail server.  It never worked when I used smtp.lavabit.com, is it because i didnt have dns server info filled in? thx

Correct, because the XEP (or any internet facing computer) uses DNS to resolve domain names and/or hostnames (e.g. smtp.lavabit.com) to resolve to the actual IP address. You can think of the DNS as a lookup table.

You can see this happen if you use your terminal program (e.g. Command Prompt on Windows). Enter a ping command for a domain name (e.g. ping google.com). You will get a response saying something like: Reply from 74.125.21.113. Where the DNS is resolving google.com to 74.125.21.113.

When you used the lavabit.com IP address before, sure it worked. However, what if they changed their ISP and that IP changed? You'd have lost your email functionality until you found the new address and entered it. By using the host name, you don't have to worry about what the actual address is - it will automatically resolve.

Makes perfect sence, thank you. Any words of advise on hoe to deal with a possible IP change without paying for a static IP from comcast?  Thank you.

Back