M1XEP question

reko19 said:
Any words of advise on hoe to deal with a possible IP change without paying for a static IP from comcast?

And yes, it is far from optimum to just change the dynamically assigned IP address to a static IP address, but it does work and it's easy to explain.  Please follow the advice in post #10.

jpmargis said:

And yes, it is far from optimum to just change the dynamically assigned IP address to a static IP address, but it does work and it's easy to explain.  Please follow the advice in post #10.

+1!

I've helped multiple people setup free accounts at No-IP. If you utilize their 'free' account they do require that you enter a CAPTCHA code every 30 days; they will send you an email with a link to keep your host active.

Short of that, I'm not aware of any other free ones. If you don't want to be responsible for answering the mail every 30-days they do offer a paid service for $19.95/year; sometimes they will have specials offering it for $15/yr.

I was using dyndns for ages before they bought out and killed off all the free ones; for a while they did the 30-day login which annoyed me but I did; then they killed that off too.  I protested but finally caved; with the coupon code from retailmenot.com it was like $60 for 5 years.  

Even better, I have a vanity domain for the family eg: ourhouse.com - so everyone has email with [email protected] (obviously not the real one)  so I created a cname record that points to my ourhouse.dyndns.org which lets me use my own domain name via dyndns as a bit of a proxy so eKeypad has something like home.ourhouse.com and it routes right back.  Such a simple "duh" solution but it didn't occur to me right away so I thought I'd share.

I have an always-on computer just for HA - I'll do a blog update soon... I was using an HP MediaSmart which is a headless computer with NAS and media capabilities but it crapped out so I built a dedicated HA computer that's fanless and running SSD so no moving parts and not much to fail - it has the DynDNS updater on it, along with Elve and hhMailServer to handle internal scan to email and M1 emails.  It's a great low-power utility machine.

Personally here my CC IP typically remains the same until I change it; which I do every few months deliberately.

I use a Motorola 6141 for my CC modem connection to the internet. 

The MAC address is usually first connected device to the modem.

I personally own my Motorola modem, Firewall, Wireless Access point and VOIP service. (owned and not rented from ISP)

Change the MAC address and reboot the modem.  It will change the internet IP address.

Here I also utilize no ip dot com.  (many years). 

That said today you can run the dynamic DNS updater on many firewalls and even run STunnel on same firewall if you want.

Panasonic's dynamic DNS service still exists and its still free.  This was originally set up for their IP cameras.

Elk (with a static IP) = = > home network = = > firewall (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, PFsense) running STunnel and Dynamic DNS ==> Comcast Modem.

Once set up with a Dynamic DNS and STunnel you never have to touch it.

Elk-M1.jpg

Note: the above mentioned firewall OS's are commonly utilized and I think today most off the shelf firewalls will do dynamic DNS (but not STunnel).

Most recently here started to block any DNS requests from any PC on my network other than what I have configured on the firewall. 

Sad to say that these days the bad redirects are outnumbering the good these days.  Bad is whatever you make of it.

Here is one internet tool to play with:

Domain Name Speed Benchmark

and some neato information to read

DNS hijacking

Manipulation by ISPs

A number of consumer ISPs such as Cablevision's Optimum Online, Comcast, Time Warner, Cox Communications, RCN, Rogers, Charter Communications, Verizon, Virgin Media, Frontier Communications, Bell Sympatico, UPC, T-Online, Optus, Mediacom, ONO, TalkTalk and Bigpond (Telstra) use DNS hijacking for their own purposes, such as displaying advertisements or collecting statistics. This practice violates the RFC standard for DNS (NXDOMAIN) responses, and can potentially open users to cross-site scripting attacks.

The concern with DNS hijacking involves this hijacking of the NXDOMAIN response. Internet and intranet applications rely on the NXDOMAIN response to describe the condition where the DNS has no entry for the specified host. If one were to query the invalid domain name (fakeexample.com), one should get an NXDOMAIN response - informing the application that the name is invalid and taking the appropriate action (for example, displaying an error or not attempting to connect to the server). However, if the domain name is queried on one of these non-compliant ISPs, one would always receive a fake IP address belonging to the ISP. In a web browser, this behavior can be annoying or offensive as connections to this IP address display the ISP redirect page of the provider, sometimes with advertising, instead of a proper error message. However, other applications that rely on the NXDOMAIN error will instead attempt to initiate connections to this spoofed IP address, potentially exposing sensitive information.

Work2Play said:
I was using dyndns for ages before they bought out and killed off all the free ones; for a while they did the 30-day login which annoyed me but I did; then they killed that off too.  I protested but finally caved; with the coupon code from retailmenot.com it was like $60 for 5 years.  

Even better, I have a vanity domain for the family eg: ourhouse.com - so everyone has email with [email protected] (obviously not the real one)  so I created a cname record that points to my ourhouse.dyndns.org which lets me use my own domain name via dyndns as a bit of a proxy so eKeypad has something like home.ourhouse.com and it routes right back.  Such a simple "duh" solution but it didn't occur to me right away so I thought I'd share.

I have an always-on computer just for HA - I'll do a blog update soon... I was using an HP MediaSmart which is a headless computer with NAS and media capabilities but it crapped out so I built a dedicated HA computer that's fanless and running SSD so no moving parts and not much to fail - it has the DynDNS updater on it, along with Elve and hhMailServer to handle internal scan to email and M1 emails.  It's a great low-power utility machine.

I had the NoIP updater running on my SageTV machine for a while... until I realized that I could do away with the software and allow Elk handle the updating.

Reporting back, got everything to work including email using GMX email.  M1XEP is set to static IP, should there be any issues with the router I know how to assign static IP to M1XEP if needed.  The only thing I still need to tackle is DDNS.  I signed up with no-ip, looks like there is a tab on M!XEP setup to configure it instead of having a PC with the updater running.

Thanks for the help everyone.

reko19 said:
Reporting back, got everything to work including email using GMX email.  M1XEP is set to static IP, should there be any issues with the router I know how to assign static IP to M1XEP if needed.  The only thing I still need to tackle is DDNS.  I signed up with no-ip, looks like there is a tab on M!XEP setup to configure it instead of having a PC with the updater running.

After you enter all your DDNS information into the XEP configuration tab, select SEND at the bottom of the page, which will write all that information to the XEP itself. Wait a few minutes and reconnect; then go back to the DDNS page and use the TEST button to ensure you have it properly configured.

reko19 said:

Awesome Reminder. 

I forgot about the DNS settings and ability within the XEP.

Great place to run a ddns client updater being we never shut down our alarm system when not home. 

Charlie

do i also need to configure my comcast gateway as shown in post 18? or would M1XEP handle everything? thx

Back