OmniPro II networking setup.

aczaplicki

Hello. New member here. I have been doing some reading it looks like this forum has a vast field of knowledge so I figured I would ask some questions here.

I recently purchased a home that has a OmniPro II installed. I was looking to connect this system back up to the internet through the ethernet port. I have read the intruction manual as well as various other ports and I just cannot get it ( I have no networking expierience). Is there anyway someone can walk me through this step by step? I have the ethernet cable plugged in. I would need help with the port forwarding? as well as the programming of the IP address.

I also had other questions regarding PC Acess. Do I need this progam to use Snaplink to remotely control my thermostat, lights, etc? Can I get away with not having this program since the previous owner configured zones, etc.?

Sorry for my extreme lack of knowledge. I hope someone can help.

Welcome.  You don't need PC Access to use Snaplink and you can configure most of the panel with just a keypad, but its not fun. Buy the customer version of PC Access at least. You will need it. Its pretty cheap. The dealer PC Access is really not needed.

On the Internet, what have you done so far? Do you have the cable plugged in to the panel, and is the green LED flashing near it?  You do need port forwarding, but do you have cable or DSL?  You don't happen top have a fixed IP address, do you?  Note that your IP address inside the house is NOT the same as your IP address outside of the house.  You need to get it working inside the house first.

ano said:
Welcome.  You don't need PC Access to use Snaplink and you can configure most of the panel with just a keypad, but its not fun. Buy the customer version of PC Access at least. You will need it. Its pretty cheap. The dealer PC Access is really not needed.

On the Internet, what have you done so far? Do you have the cable plugged in to the panel, and is the green LED flashing near it?  You do need port forwarding, but do you have cable or DSL?  You don't happen top have a fixed IP address, do you?  Note that your IP address inside the house is NOT the same as your IP address outside of the house.  You need to get it working inside the house first.
Thank you for the reply! I just bought a copy of PC Acess of of Amazon and it should be here next week.

As for the internet, I do have the cable plugged into the panel, but it is not green. There is one solid red light and the other one is blinking. I have cable. I have a Surfboard 3 modem with an Apple Airport Extreme router. The cable is currently plugged from the router to the panel. Should it be plugged into the modem?

I am unsure about the fixed IP address. How can I check? Thank you in advance!

You can check or change the IP via an HAI keypad or Omnitouch screen.

On the Omnitouch 5.7 legacy touchscreen push: (thinking its the same for the Keypad)

1 - System
2 - Setup
3 - System Setup
4 - enter set up code
5 - #6 Misc
6 - down button once will show you version, twice will show IP configured.

Edit.. I should be using an internal IP address. I see that now. The IP address on the panel now matches the ipv4 if do a /ipconfig.

Edit.. I should be using an internal IP address. I see that now.

Yes

The IP address on the panel now matches the ipv4 if do a /ipconfig.

The static IP address on the panel should be a unique IP on the internal subnet of your home network.

The subnet and mask are defined in your firewall, router,.switch and maybe access point.

External access to your panel is defined in your firewall / router. 

There you would configure a rule for an internal IP and port to access the internet only if you need to access your panel from the internet using whatever device.

pete_c said:
Yes

The static IP address on the panel should be a unique IP on the internal subnet of your home network.

The subnet and mask are defined in your firewall, router,.switch and maybe access point.

External access to your panel is defined in your firewall / router. 

There you would configure a rule for an internal IP and port to access the internet only if you need to access your panel from the internet using whatever device.
It looks like in order for me to set aside an ip address I need the "mac address". Does the Omni have one?

Guessing here you need a mac address if you are assigning a DHCP address to the panel via the firewall.  Doing this you will need to make sure the assigned dhcp IP address matches the same IP address you have configured on the panel.

The mac address is printed on the network chip under the word MAC. 

You can find a mac address to an IP in windows/linux doing a ping of said address then an arp -a. 

You will see the mac address next to the pinged address when you do the arp -a.

Try it; it should be the same as the labeled network chip mac.

~# arp -a
IP address       HW type     Flags       HW address            Mask     Device

arp - manipulate the system ARP cache  

SYNOPSIS

arp [-evn] [-H type] [-i if] -a [hostname]

arp [-v] [-i if] -d hostname [pub]

arp [-v] [-H type] [-i if] -s hostname hw_addr [temp]

arp [-v] [-H type] [-i if] -s hostname hw_addr [netmask nm] pub

arp [-v] [-H type] [-i if] -Ds hostname ifa [netmask nm] pub

arp [-vnD] [-H type] [-i if] -f [filename]

\pete>arp -a

Interface: www.xxx.yyy.zzz --- 0x2
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type

\pete>arp -help

Displays and modifies the IP-to-Physical address translation tables used by
address resolution protocol (ARP).

ARP -s inet_addr eth_addr [if_addr]
ARP -d inet_addr [if_addr]
ARP -a [inet_addr] [-N if_addr]

-a            Displays current ARP entries by interrogating the current
                protocol data.  If inet_addr is specified, the IP and Physical
                addresses for only the specified computer are displayed.  If
                more than one network interface uses ARP, entries for each ARP
                table are displayed.
  -g            Same as -a.
  inet_addr     Specifies an internet address.
  -N if_addr    Displays the ARP entries for the network interface specified
                by if_addr.
  -d            Deletes the host specified by inet_addr. inet_addr may be
                wildcarded with * to delete all hosts.
  -s            Adds the host and associates the Internet address inet_addr
                with the Physical address eth_addr.  The Physical address is
                given as 6 hexadecimal bytes separated by hyphens. The entry
                is permanent.
  eth_addr      Specifies a physical address.
  if_addr       If present, this specifies the Internet address of the
                interface whose address translation table should be modified.
                If not present, the first applicable interface will be used.
Example:
  > arp -s 157.55.85.212   00-aa-00-62-c6-09  .... Adds a static entry.
  > arp -a                                    .... Displays the arp table.

Okay it looks like I assigned the IP address and when I do the arp -a the IP address matches the MAC address as found on the chip. Is there another way for me to test that the panel is getting a connection? It is still blinking red - not sure if that is an issue.

If you ping the IP of the panel from any device (laptop/desktop) on the network; it should respond to your pings.

If you arp and see the mac address and IP address then there is something on the network with that IP and Mac. 

I am guesing it is the panel.

I just looked at my panel and it is blinking but not red (well as far as I can tell).

Baby steps here one step at a time.  Once done you never really touch it.

For connectivity with PCA and other devices (Omnitouch, Snaplink or Omnitouch Pro software or other software consoles on the network you will need to input the the same network encryption key (part 1 and part 2) and port number.

You can look at the encryption key and port number like you found the IP on the Keypad.  Change the encryption key or keep it the same and write it down..

Not sure here what router / firewall you are using.  Please post your router MFG and model number.

Please copy and paste your:

Router LAN IP
Router LAN subnet
Router Gateway address (which is usually the LAN IP of the router)
Router DNS IP

Then also print out your DHCP configuration scope stuff:

typically this is a set of IPs within the desigated subnet.

Too if you have only 10 devices on the network; it doesn't typically need to be configured for 254 addresses (which is the default).

We will get to the external via the internet accesss after you have validated the function internal to your network.....one step at a time.

Pete,

Thank you so much for you help.

Last night I was able to confirm that the internal internet is working. I was even able to login through Snaplink and see the status of my system while connected to wifi on my phone. I also setup another profile with my external IP address and I was able to connect via my cellular network. Although security and status was the only module that displayed information (nothing under thermostat, lights, etc.. which has me worried that the previous owner unplugged things maybe?)  It is to my understanding that once my IP changes ( since it is dynamic) this will no longer work while not on the local network via WIFI.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme router, model ME918LL/A.I am away from my home computer now so I cannot share the network information but I can do this later this evening.

It is to my understanding that once my IP changes ( since it is dynamic) this will no longer work while not on the local network via WIFI.

Yup; if you use DHCP at home then there is a time frame configured to release and renew the IP.  That said it typically stays the same unless you disconnect / shut off the device in question (IE: your panel) and another device then requests an IP from DHCP.  It might take that same one.

That said if you configure the panel as you have done with a static IP not related at all to DHCP; then the IP will never change; nor will the rules set configured on your firewall router for the static IP / ports stuff.

Your ISP modem will also do this; initially configuring one IP via DHCP to your firewall.  Typically you do not have access to change your assigned IP to a static IP.  This is where you create an account with a Dynamic DNS provider which you assign a DNS name to your internet dynamic IP address.  You then tickle the Dynamic DNS provider and your DNS name will always match your IP.  I have used no-ip dot com now for over 10 years with multiple locations and its always been fine.  It is very reasonable in cost.

IE: then when you are at work, on a tablet or telephone on the internet you just put in your designated chosen by you DNS name to get back to your panel.

IE: like choosing a DNS name like aczaplicki-opiipanel.automation.com or whatever.  It will remain the same as long as you want no matter what your internet IP address is.  You can also pay for and request static IP(s) from your ISP at a different monthly rate whatever that may be.

I looked into leasing a static IP from my ISP and they do not offer it.

I did start a 14 day trial with dyndns but I have not figured out how to get that working yet. From what I am reading online my router does not work with these type of servies. I am not sure if there is a way around this or not.

Welcome to Cocoontech aczaplicki.

Typically on a router/firewall its a tab / page for configuration of dynamic DNS services.  Typically there is a drop down to multiple services.  You can maybe update the firmware on your combo firewall router and maybe the new firmware includes the dynamic DNS stuff.  It is today included in most off the shelf combination router / firewalls.

Having written that if you keep a PC on line 24 / 7 you can install a tickle program that just runs and checks you IP and matches it up to the DNS name that you specify.  These programs are free.

Some of the services are still free with a continously utilize monthly email.  The yearly charge though is very low for this service. I have paid for it by the year or two or three (best deals).  Last time I complained about the prices and they gave me a discount.

I am having trouble with the network setup of my Omni Pro II.  The Omni Pro has been used as a security system and it functions fine.  I even have a few X10 modules set up to turn on two lights.  I decided I would like to do more ALC and HVAC programming so I got the Dealer PC Access 3.  This is where I am stuck.  I have read several threads and I believe the connectivity between the Windows PC and the OPII is suspect.  If I try to ping the OPII using the address that is shown on the keypad it times out in a few seconds.  The OPII is in an OnQ cabinet that also has the wiring hub.  I used a Cat 5e jumper to connect the OPII to a Netgear FS108 dumb switch with the Windows PC  also plugged into the same Netgear switch.  The switch is plugged into a ASUS router and then off to the internet.  I think I need to get the internal connection working first though so that is the focus of my post.

The RJ45 on the Netgear switch shows one green LED in the upper left of the RJ45 while the upper right LED is not lit at all. There are two LEDs to the right of the ethernet RJ45 on the Omno Pro II.  The one closest to the RJ45 is blinking red, the next LED out from the left is a solid red.  Anyone know what those mean?   The D24 Status LED in the Omni is blinking red and the D25 LED is a solid red.

When using the Access 3 program and clicking the connect button the "Off line" never changes to "On line" in the bottom right corner.

Is there a jumper some where on the Omni board that turns on the ethernet?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Back