Elk m1 gold phone fault

snakevargas

The keypad has been beeping and displaying "phone fault" all morning. I don't use the dialer. I don't have it connected to the phone line. Any way to figure out what the panel is upset about?

Anything programmed in comms?

You can also fake it out by sending voltage to the r/g of the inbound telco connection.

I ended up setting the telephone's reporting type to "disabled" and that resolved the issue. Found that fix in an older thread here about phone faults. I guess it would have helped to search before I posted!

The method you describe is the appropriate fix to disable checking for a dial tone on the Elk's phone terminals, but if I were you, I'd be wondering why it suddenly started complaining about that, assuming you have not made any recent programming changes.  Or did you, by chance, make any changes at all (via RP2 or via any keypad) on the 27th/28th, even if they were seemingly unrelated to phone setup?

Trey said:
The method you describe is the appropriate fix to disable checking for a dial tone on the Elk's phone terminals, but if I were you, I'd be wondering why it suddenly started complaining about that, assuming you have not made any recent programming changes.  Or did you, by chance, make any changes at all (via RP2 or via any keypad) on the 27th/28th, even if they were seemingly unrelated to phone setup?

Nope, no changes whatsoever. I checked the log. It shows entries like this:

14:46 Telephone line restore
14:39 Telephone line fault trouble

The time between trouble and restore varied from 3 minutes to 20 minutes. There were no significant events prior to this happening. No alarms went off. No programming. The nearest event was a routine arm about 2 hours prior to the first event. The logs show there were about a half dozen incidents of this over a four day period. IIRC, I've had this problem once before and cleared it by rebooting the panel.

snakevargas said:
The logs show there were about a half dozen incidents of this over a four day period. IIRC, I've had this problem once before and cleared it by rebooting the panel.

Have you rebooted the M1 since this problem started happening again?

If a reboot clears it up, and it doesn't reoccur frequently, I guess I would write if off as a case of memory bit-rot.  Any device containing a microprocessor and memory, whether a cell phone, PC or alarm panel, can have its memory corrupted on occasion.  All sorts of things can cause memory corruption, including power glitches, alpha particles and cosmic rays.  The chances of it happening are usually pretty low, but it does happen.  And most low cost systems, including the M1, don't have any way of detecting it.

Back