Rules to Alarm when Door Kicked In

johngalt

Despite me liking to plan for a team of trained ninjas scaling my wall and cutting a hole through the roof to break in to my house I know if a break in is attempted there is a 90% chance it comes from someone kicking in a door or breaking a window.

I have glass breaks that are always armed. But I am trying to think of a way to set off the siren/alarm if someone kicks in the door immediately.

Any ideas?

I was thinking about

Whenever BACKDOOR becomes insecure
ANd BACKDOOR DEADBOLT is secure
Set SIREN to ON

But if someone kicks in the door the door sensor and deadbolt sensor would probably become insecure at the same time.

I know I can just keep my alarm on at all times when I am home set to stay instant, but with a dog that likes Togo in and out every 5 minutes I was hoping for other ideas.

My doors are all 3/4 light so there is a lot of glass. Hopefully they will break the glass and that will set off the glass breaks before they kick the door in.

Assuming you have an Elk based on the terms you used, try using stay instant or night instant mode. There is a table in the Elk manual which indicates which zone type vs alarm modes will trigger with no delay.

Isn't that what motion sensors are for when you are away, and your dog is for when you are home?   :mellow:

Or are you trying to deal with a home invasion?  An alarm isn't really helpful for home invasion, I don't think.  I'm sure opinions differ.  It really depends on the actual event.

So when I am away the alarm is armed to away.  If they kick in that one door they can hang out in the foyer for 30 seconds with the exit delay or go into another room and set off the motions.  I am okay with this.

At night the system as armed in night stay and the doors are triggered for instant so if someone kicks in the door the alarm will go off instantly.  I am okay with this.

The times I am worried about are during the day when my wife and baby are home.  The alarm gets turned off when the dog goes out in the morning and is only turned on when we go to bed or leave the house.  The dog is out of the kennel but probably distracted hunting a squirrel and not to concerned with an uninvited guest.  Can we leave the alarm on during the day and then press a key to temporarily allow the door to be opened for 60 seconds to let the dog in/out take out the trash, etc.  If that is the case I see my wife using the alarm during the day.  Otherwise I don't see her entering her code every time the dog jumps on the door to come inside.

Does this help explain?

You could reinforce the frame of your door to make it much harder to kick in.
You could also add a wireless keyfob for a panic button. When the door breaks in, its something that everyone would notice.
Also, maybe think about moving to a better neighborhood where people don't break in a door.
Or just repay all your gambling depts, again, so people are less likely to want to knock down your door. :eek:

Rather than focus on what happens after the event, have you considered metal security screen doors?  They would add a significant visual deterrent to a simple wooden door.

One man's opinion....

ano said:
Also, maybe think about moving to a better neighborhood where people don't break in a door.
Or just repay all your gambling depts, again, so people are less likely to want to knock down your door. :eek:

This is gold!

Tough crowd today!

Don't worry. My bookie doesn't know where I live so I don't need to worry about my gambling debts.

I would reevaluate if you really want your GBD's to be 24h points....in practice it's really not a good idea in 99% of the installs out there.

If you have an M1, you can hit the exit key to momentarily shunt the entry door to let the dog in/out with system armed. No disarming needed. System would be armed night instant if M1. No entry delay on normal delayed doors.

A German Shepherd might be better than 100 lines of programming in this case.

If you are home, you want it to trip instantly, but if you are away, you want a delay.  Can you set the BACKDOOR zone to alarm instantly if the system is armed in "home" (not "away") mode?  I don't have an ELK, but the HAI panels have different modes like that.  If the ELK doesn't have a concept of "home" and "away" modes, maybe with a little programming they could. 

Here have an adjustable door knock sensor that I never installed because it is a bit large and fits flush to a wall near a door. 

Nobody knocks on the door anyways.

A while ago mentioned here on the forum about wife's friend relative who was a policewomen living alone at home.

One morning after her shower she walked to her kitchen for breakfast still in her bathrobe.

There stood a man with a bat or stick.  She surprised him as well as him surprising her.  He attacked her and she fought back.

The fighting went to her back yard and the neighbors saw it and called the police.  They did capture the person chasing him by helicopter.

She did suffer head injuries and stayed in a hospital for about a week. 

The neighborhood she lived in was considered a nice neighborhood and the person that attacked here was not from the local neighborhood.

pete_c said:
Here have an adjustable door knock sensor that I never installed because it is a bit large and fits flush to a wall near a door. 

Nobody knocks on the door anyways.
Sometimes they do and ring the doorbell.  I saw a news story on how its very common for the potential burglar to knock or ring the doorbell first to see if anyone is home.  They might hide to see if anyone answers the door before breaking in.  In any case, because of the trend of people installing Wi-Fi doorbell buttons with cameras, they have caught many of these burglars. Most of these buttons have motion detectors so they don't even have to press the button.  It may not stop the robbery, but can help catch the person after the fact.

Yes today here my doorbell rings whether you push the doorbell button or not.

Same happens by the other doors/entrances.

After hours it's just the one if two if chimes and daylight everywhere.

Back