Rules to Alarm when Door Kicked In

I'll defer any question regarding the elk to those that know.

However, if all else fails I tend to take the DIY approach. Have the alarm set as instant and have a door bell button at the backdoor that activates a time delay relay with the contact wired in parallel with the door contact. She pushes the button, the contact closes, she can open the door until whatever time delay is set in the relay. If she closes the door the TDR times out, the contacts opens and puts the door contact back inline.

In any case, because of the trend of people installing Wi-Fi doorbell buttons with cameras, they have caught many of these burglars. Most of these buttons have motion detectors so they don't even have to press the button.  It may not stop the robbery, but can help catch the person after the fact.

Yes; I see this working fine mounted in an exterior wall where the doorbell should be. 

Exteriorly mounted on a wall next to a door a serious burglar just has to knock it off the wall and cut the power to it and really could care less about damaging the device.

pete_c said:
Exteriorly mounted on a wall next to a door a serious burglar just has to knock it off the wall and cut the power to it and really could care less about damaging the device.
I don't have one so don't know for sure, but don't they send pictures to the cloud? So even if some burglar cut it off the wall, I would guess one or two pictures would get through. Just mount it really good.

Yes depending on the neighborhood; mounting it real good can be an issue.  Well and ideally you want another camera view. 

In the 1990's a friend had fallen asleep on his recliner in his family room.  Somebody went in to the house and slit his throat end to end. 

I got a phone call while he was running around his house spraying blood everywhere and dying.  (it lasted about 10 minutes or so).  The police got there about 2 minutes after he was dead.

I am not sure that a panic alarm would have helped.

Roadie said:
I'll defer any question regarding the elk to those that know.

However, if all else fails I tend to take the DIY approach. Have the alarm set as instant and have a door bell button at the backdoor that activates a time delay relay with the contact wired in parallel with the door contact. She pushes the button, the contact closes, she can open the door until whatever time delay is set in the relay. If she closes the door the TDR times out, the contacts opens and puts the door contact back inline.
Exit key on the Elk and DSC panels does that with no external hardware or programming.

Pete. Your stories scare me.

We have been dealing with an uprise in crime in our neighborhood too. I live in what I would consider a privileged area. Criminals are catching on that nicer stuff is in nicer areas. So the comments above that I was reading about finding a nicer place to live are junk. Crime is everywhere and now more is happening in nicer areas.

ano said:
I don't have one so don't know for sure, but don't they send pictures to the cloud? So even if some burglar cut it off the wall, I would guess one or two pictures would get through. Just mount it really good.
Spraying them with paint solves the cut or image issue. It's genuinely a problem on commercial sites, so much so they actually make detectors for the sound of spraying (or analytics)

Myself and an IT director for one site were laughing about everyone saying it goes to the "cloud" so it's safe.....how all the cloud is in actuality is another person's computer that you have zero control over and the textbook drawing of that computer. Just made me chuckle.

@waynehead99

It was just a freaky occurrence in a quiet low crime neighbourhood that happened to an old friend. 

The kind of neighbourhood where folks just left their doors unlocked.

Thinking he had fallen asleep on his recliner while watching television.

I personally have never seen so much blood spattered in one room before and I hope never to see something like this again.

Weird stuff just happens I guess. There are some kooky people out there.

News story is more of sensationalism than facts.

You don't hit the button, no image unless you force the camera to broadcast or you're watching it at the time.

We've had video intercoms for years that had the ability to take snaps. Either they don't hit the button or unit ends up disabled before.

Just like spraying foam into outdoor sirens and bells. Common occurrence when there's time. Same if the VMS doesn't notice masking or dark images.

Back