Cant access M1 programing

knctrnl

purchased a used M1 Gold and am not able to get into any programming to add the ethernet module.
The seller says that they have not done anything except add users since they purchased from another entity where it was also in use since 2009. 
Therefore it has probably not had any upgrades since then at least.
The code the seller gave me seems to be the master code.
When I put that code in and hit Elk Button and 9 it beeps at me and says AUTH REQUIRED.
When I put in the default installers code and do the same the behavior is a little different. It still beeps with a low tone but the screen changes so fast I cant tell wether it says auth required or not. 
It is accepting the default installers code since I can change user codes and such but wont let me into menu 9.

When connecting with RP2 it says access code or serial number is incorrect. I am using the default access code and have tried every other code the seller gave me to no avail.
With this unit not being updated in so long could it be that it has older firmware and different default codes?
I am trying to Use RP1 but am having issue with a dll error when i try to connect. Do you guys think I would need to access with RP1? Is the default code any different with this?
Thanks

Wish I had more to contribute...  RP2 should be fine - I don't recall it requiring a firmware update when that came out.  I was going to warn that RP2 and Windows 10 don't play well together unless you do a firmware update on the XEP that wipes out the built in web server - but I can only assume you're connecting via Serial since it's the XEP you're trying to enroll.

It could be a matter of sequence - I don't think you put in the code then hit the Elk button - I think you wait until you get the Auth Required prompt, THEN enter your installer or master code.

Moderator comment:  I appreciate that you're trying to get an answer but it's preferred that you don't post the same thing in two places.  The experts on Elk will see your post here so I merged the two together into the Elk forum.

Long story short - If you have removed the panel from an installation and are trying to install to a new installation you need to reset it to defaults and start from scratch. None of the settings from the old installation will be of any use to you.

Mike.

Yeah I have the manual but I have to access menu 9 to do a factory reset.
That is the problem is I cant get into that menu.
I will give Elk a call tomorrow.

knctrnl said:
When I put in the default installers code and do the same the behavior is a little different. It still beeps with a low tone but the screen changes so fast I cant tell wether it says auth required or not. 

If you aren't able to read the message that flashes by quickly on the screen, try making a video of the keypad screen with your cell phone or a digital camera.  Then play back the video and pause it at the right moment.

I think the low tone you hear indicates an error of some sort.

I just pressed the ELK key followed by the 9 and the screen displays "Installation Programming (0)". Then I press the up arrow and it says "Auth. required". At this point I entered the user code, not the remote programming code and it let me into the menus.

Mike.

didn't understand how you tried using the auth code on the keypad. You should only be typing in your authcode when trying to access menu 9. The progression is:
  1. Elk Button
  2. Press 9   { Screen displays "authorization required (0)" }
  3. Type in your auth code. If you get the right one, the screen should progress to submenu 0 ("0-bus enrollment")

Based on the description, I'm not convinced you have the installer code. It sounds like you have a "Master" user code, which allows you to add other user accounts, but doesn't allow you to program from the keyboard. "A Master Code can be used to review, change, or delete other users, and to modify selected system options. Only one Master code is needed per system. For security purposed, multiple Master codes are not recommended" (page 25 of the installation manual)

If you're lucky, they left default installer codes: 172839

PS -- Yeah, I'd bet it wasn't upgraded so you'd need to use ElkRP (and not RP2)

I appreciate the help everyone. I was able to return the unit and I purchased a new M1 from an authorized reseller.
Now the fun begins!!

Back