Photo
- - - - -

ELK-M1XIN Does it have to be powered from the bus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 auzzzie

auzzzie

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:39 PM

Can I power the ELK-M1XIN (Input Expander) from an external power supply or does it have to be from the RS485 Data Bus?

Reason being, I have a remote unit in the garage and only a single CAT5E between the buildings. I want to use some of the pairs for other things as  I have a 12+ PSU local to the input expander so it seems like a waste to pull power from the other building. 

Cheers

#2 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:30 PM

The M1XIN can be powered from an aux power supply.  In theory, the RS485 bus can work with just the two Data A and Data B signals between the M1 and the XIN.  But in practice, you may find that you need a common ground (NEG) signal between the two for it to work reliably.  Without a common ground, the two power supplies can have a difference in what each sees as the 0 volt signal level (i.e. a different ground reference).  If they get too far apart, the RS485 receivers can't detect the signals properly.

#3 mikefamig

mikefamig

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3315 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:UPB
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 07 September 2018 - 11:21 AM

I recommend getting a power supply with adjustable output voltage. That will allow you to tweak it a little if needed to overcome a long wire run and match it close to the supply on the M1.

Mike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users