Odd behavior with Upstart (HAI)

CajunHAI

Hi.  It's been a while since I've used Upstart in my home but had to get it up and running because I was having problems with some lights not working from my Leviton app.  I bought some new 35A00 switches but before replacing, I thought I would see what Upstart said about them.  The lights that do no work are (in picture) 008 - Den Spot and 016 - MSTR BATH VAN.  Those, I know do not work from my phone app.  However, when I run the diagnostics, it shows that several other lights are not responding, but they do work from my phone app.

Is it normal for 35A00 switches to just stop working?  Can I reset them?  They work manually from the switch itself, just not the app.  

As far as the other lights on Upstart diagnostics showing a red X, do I need to concern myself with them since they work on my phone app?  

Thanks! 

Attachments

• Upstart.PNG
    Upstart.PNG
    82.2 KB · Views: 11
Hello:

So what are you using to bridge the two phases together in your house?  A coupler, a repeater, nothing?  If you have nothing, you should buy a repeater. Do you see how all the switches NOT working say "O" for "other phase?"  Over time the utility might change something outside your house, or its possible something inside your house changed.  You need a Leviton 39A00-2 UPB Split-Phase Repeater. PCS makes one also called the PulseWorks UPB Wire-In Split Phase Repeater SPR-1.

I believe that PCS makes the Leviton repeater as well, so either will work. 

Shop around, you can find these on eBay now and then under $200.

NOW if you DO have a repeater and are still having this problem, your repeater may not be working. 

One more thing, if you don't already, get a whole house surge protector as well. If you live anywhere with lighting, its a very good investment.

Here have not had any issues with my UPB switches and Leviton UPB repeater and as Ano mentions above it is the same as the PCS repeater.

Here have an HAI UPB PIM connected to it's own breaker hanging off the fuse panel and ran a serial cable to my OmniPro panel.

Have a spare UPB PIM on an ethernet to serial device for spot checking signals with Upstart.

Same advice related to getting a surge protector if you do not have one in place.

Recently here upgrade one family member's surge protector from a dual 15AMP fuse breaker looking surge protector maybe 8 years old gone bad to an external surge protector using dual 40 AMP breakers (maybe a bit over kill?).  This is the first time I have seen one of these go.

Most of the work involved was to shorten the 12 guage leads going to the ground block and fuses and moving all of the fuses down two slots.

Years ago added a second surge protector on the outside AC compress fuse box (after the fact) of a lightning strike crash and burn of the outside AC compressor.  It literally went up in smoke.  Never seen this happen before.

Thanks everyone with for the replies.  My house has one main breaker panel outside, and two sub panels inside.  The main breaker outside does have a surge protector.  The two sub-panels have couplers.  

I was looking into a repeater...question.  Do I need just one repeater at the main, or at either of the sub-panels?  Or do I need a repeater for all 3 panels?

Thanks! 

Personally not sure which way to install the UPB repeater would be most effective.    

There exist a 3 phase repeater.     

pcs1.jpg  
3phase.jpg  

Is the main panel two or three phase?  

What is your main panel...200 AMP ....400AMP ?  
What are the subpanels 100 AMP...200 AMP?      

The 2 phase (split phase) repeater hook up is the same as the 2 phase coupler.    

splitphase.jpg

No, not likely the 3-phase repeater. Those are used for commercial buildings, like I have heard some Condos are wired for three-phase. Not residential.
So use a split-phase repeater. I would try one only first in the main panel. If that doesn't work, then I would call PCS and get help from them.

As Pete shows above, that is how a split-phase repeater is installed. What it doesn't show is you should use a tandem breaker, 15A will work.

Back