Elk M1 Gold--Zone Definition for Safety Sensors

DickLamb

I have an Elk M1 Gold for which I have several "safety" (non-burglar) sensors--e.g., freezer failure, sump pump failure, low room temperature, high humidity.  I had been using Zone Definitions 13 and 14 for this purpose, but I learned that with these definitions, after a trip, the system calls the monitoring service repeatedly for about 10-15 minutes, tying up one of their lines.  I'm looking for a simple fix so it will call the monitoring service only once.  Perhaps a different zone definition would do that?   I'm a bit confused by the footnote markings and legends for the zone definitions in the manual.  I'm away from home now for a month and can't experiment remotely.  Any suggestions?    Dick Lamb

For those type of zones, I use zone definition 16, Non-alarm. When the zone is violated the alarm company will NOT be called. I have rules that call my cell phone if those zones are violated to notify me of the situation. No real reason to bring the alarm monitoring company into it.

I'm not an expert on the handshaking that goes on between the alarm panel and the central station.  My understanding of it is that after the panel connects to the CS and sends the alarm info, the CS then responds with a kiss-off signal that acknowledges to the panel that the alarm condition has been received.  After that, the panel should hang up and not call the CS again until the alarm has been acknowledged by the user with the entry of a valid keypad code, or if a new, different alarm condition occurs.

I'm thinking that the M1 isn't receiving the kiss-off properly, and that's why it calls multiple times.

Have you looked at the event log to see if there is a 1380 kiss-off code there?

For other alarm conditions, such as a window or door alarm, does the panel work properly and notify the CS just once?

Thank you both--Cocoonut and Dedicated Cocooner--for your replies and suggestions.  I never thought to look at the log.  (I set up my system years ago and it's been so reliable that I haven't had the need to keep familiar with it.)  The log shows continual tripping and resetting of that sensor.  This is probably what I should have anticipated with my home-made sensor when it was right on the threshold detection (it's a magnet on a float).   Since posting I asked my Central Station (Alarm Relay), and that was their take on it, also.  For some reason the log doesn't show the calls to the Central Station or the kiss-off, but I'm pretty sure this is what happened.  My plan is to insert a "latching relay" circuit between the sensor and the zone input to the Elk panel such that a trip will alert the panel once and only once.  Or as Dedicated Cocooner suggests, I could use rules to enable a direct call,  but I think I'd rather be sure of getting the alert by using my Central Station.    Dick Lamb

Back