Are you worried about the Corona Virus

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Saw that. Largest outbreak outside of Wuhan. Reason 542817 that I don’t like cruises. 2 dead in Iran too - I believe 0 prior reported cases (no surprise there). I think I saw Egypt had only 1 case. Maybe they only had 1 test kit?

Would love to hear more from Bucko here as all of us are just spectators from afar it seems (for now...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarrylLix said:
... I am afraid of going to the Toronto Aeroport, where there is a murder every day.

??

Toronto reported 78 homicides in 2019, down from 96 in 2018.  [1]  As I calculate it, that is not a murder every day.

BTW, the population of the City of Toronto is about 2.7 million.  You do the stats on how dangerous it is.

Craig

[1] https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/01/07/2019-toronto-homicide-map/  (Warning, popups and crap.)

My apologies 

I guess I used the wrong stat.  2019 shooting victims stats are not publicised yet.  For  2018 there were only 604 shooting victims. 
The medical response team must be very efficient or the shooters were bad shots. :) 

That is only about 11.6 shootings per week, in Toronto!

LarrylLix said:
If you were one of those 11.6 to be shot, you may have a different perspective than if you weren't.  

LarrylLix said:
My apologies 

I guess I used the wrong stat.  2019 shooting victims stats are not publicised yet.  For  2018 there were only 604 shooting victims. 
The medical response team must be very efficient or the shooters were bad shots. :)

Source?  That stat could be for the Greater Toronto Area which has a population of about 6 million depending on your definition.

Regardless, assuming 600 shooting victims per year for 2.7 million of population means it would be roughly 4,500 years until it is 'your turn'.

Craig

pvrfan said:
Source?  That stat could be for the Greater Toronto Area which has a population of about 6 million depending on your definition.

Regardless, assuming 600 shooting victims per year for 2.7 million of population means it would be roughly 4,500 years until it is 'your turn'.

Craig
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Toronto
Wikipedia but I haven't been able to substantiate the quoted sources. Typical!

ano said:
If you were one of those 11.6 to be shot, you may have a different perspective than if you weren't.  
That doesn't include muggings, stabbings, being beat up by gangs,  being run over by a vehicle, thrown off a roof, or other violent crimes.

I did a copy and paste of the article posted above:

Stress, rumors, even violence: Virus fear goes viral
By FOSTER KLUG
21st of February, 2020

AP

TOKYO (AP) — You might have heard that the fear of a new virus from China is spreading faster than the actual virus.
From earnest officials trying to calm a building panic. From your spouse. From the know-it-all who rattles off the many much more likely ways you’re going to die: smoking, car accidents, the flu.

None of it seems to matter.

As the number of casesrises — more than 76,000 and counting — fear is advancing like a tsunami. And not just in the areas surrounding the Chinese city of Wuhan, the site of the vast majority of coronavirus infections.

Subway cars in Tokyo and Seoul look more like hospital wards, with armies of masked commuters shooting dirty looks at the slightest cough or sneeze. A restaurant owner in a South Korean Chinatown says visitors have dropped by 90%.
You’ve probably got a better chance of winning the lottery than buying face masks in parts of Asia. Conferences and events have been disrupted from Beijing to Barcelona to Boston. Quarrels in Japan; riots in Ukraine. Rumors that toilet paper and napkins could be used as masks emptied East Asian store shelves of paper goods.

“Fear is a very strong emotion, and the prevailing fear over the new coronavirus drives people to do things irrationally without thinking straight,” said Bernie Huang, 31, a high school teacher in Taipei, Taiwan, who resisted the city’s now-easing toilet paper buying spree.
If you take the long view, panic has marched in lockstep with pandemic for as long as history has been recorded. The plague that devastated Athens in the fifth century BC. The Black Death that eradicated much of Europe in the 14th century. And, more recently, AIDS, Ebola, SARS, MERS, swine and bird flu.
Scientists, statisticians and people well away from the line of fire may scoff, but the fear, which is spread by word of mouth and, more rapidly, through online posts, is real.

“Fear can do more harm than the virus,” Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in response to panic buying of toilet paper, canned food and instant noodles after the government raised a risk alert over the new virus.

It’s perhaps most keenly felt in the places where crowds gather: churches, shopping areas, schools.
In the Philippines, nearly half of the pews were empty for recent Sunday Masses in many churches. At a Protestant church in northern Seoul, officials switched entirely to online worship after it was found that a virus patient had attended services days before he tested positive.

TOKYO (AP) — You might have heard that the fear of a new virus from China is spreading faster than the actual virus.
From earnest officials trying to calm a building panic. From your spouse. From the know-it-all who rattles off the many much more likely ways you’re going to die: smoking, car accidents, the flu.

None of it seems to matter.

As the number of casesrises — more than 76,000 and counting — fear is advancing like a tsunami. And not just in the areas surrounding the Chinese city of Wuhan, the site of the vast majority of coronavirus infections.

Subway cars in Tokyo and Seoul look more like hospital wards, with armies of masked commuters shooting dirty looks at the slightest cough or sneeze. A restaurant owner in a South Korean Chinatown says visitors have dropped by 90%.

You’ve probably got a better chance of winning the lottery than buying face masks in parts of Asia. Conferences and events have been disrupted from Beijing to Barcelona to Boston. Quarrels in Japan; riots in Ukraine. Rumors that toilet paper and napkins could be used as masks emptied East Asian store shelves of paper goods.

“Fear is a very strong emotion, and the prevailing fear over the new coronavirus drives people to do things irrationally without thinking straight,” said Bernie Huang, 31, a high school teacher in Taipei, Taiwan, who resisted the city’s now-easing toilet paper buying spree.
If you take the long view, panic has marched in lockstep with pandemic for as long as history has been recorded. The plague that devastated Athens in the fifth century BC. The Black Death that eradicated much of Europe in the 14th century. And, more recently, AIDS, Ebola, SARS, MERS, swine and bird flu.
Scientists, statisticians and people well away from the line of fire may scoff, but the fear, which is spread by word of mouth and, more rapidly, through online posts, is real.

“Fear can do more harm than the virus,” Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in response to panic buying of toilet paper, canned food and instant noodles after the government raised a risk alert over the new virus.
It’s perhaps most keenly felt in the places where crowds gather: churches, shopping areas, schools.

In the Philippines, nearly half of the pews were empty for recent Sunday Masses in many churches. At a Protestant church in northern Seoul, officials switched entirely to online worship after it was found that a virus patient had attended services days before he tested positive.

The huge Lotte Department Store in Seoul closed for several days for disinfection after it was found that a Chinese tourist with the virus visited. It reportedly lost about 20 billion won ($16.9 million) in revenue, based on figures by financial analysts.

A mobile trade fair in Barcelona was canceled. PlayStation maker Sony pulled out of a video game conference in Boston over “increasing concerns” related to the virus. Organizers said the event will go on next week but “with enhanced cleaning.”

At Namdaemun, Seoul’s largest traditional market, businesses saw huge drops in sales after an infected person was found to have visited the area last month.
“Merchants say their businesses are now dying,” said Chun Yong-bum, head of an association of thousands of merchants at Namdaemun.

The South Korean Education Ministry recently issued an advisory to universities to postpone the March start of the upcoming semester because of worries that thousands of Chinese students will return to schools from abroad.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in expressed worries that “excessively bloated fear” was hurting South Korea’s economy by suppressing public consumption and leisure activities.

The most eagerly-awaited gathering in Asia — the upcoming Summer Olympics in Tokyo — has been beset by fear, too.

Although he later backtracked, Tokyo Olympic CEO Toshiro Muto said recently that he was “seriously worried” the virus could disrupt the Olympics and Paralympics.
“One thing I am noticing at the moment is fear is spreading quicker than the virus, and it is important that we quell that fear,” said Craig Spence, the spokesman for the International Paralympic Committee.

In Japan, fear and the virus have intersected most visibly on a huge cruise ship in the port of Yokohama, where thousands of passengers and crew were quarantined for two weeks as hundreds of people on board tested positive for the virus.

One quarantined passenger hung a banner that read: “No information ... Stressed. Many bad rumors.”

The internet foments many of those rumors.

In Malaysia, a social media rumor that mandarin oranges carry the virus caused some initial panic until health officials debunked it.

When news broke that a journalist who reports on Japan’s leader had contact with an infected driver and was in self-quarantine, a web edition of the Weekly Post tabloid magazine declared: “Coronavirus has sent shockwaves to the prime minister’s office.”

Fear, and possibly a dark sense of humor, may also help explain some odd behavior: images of people using orange peels as face masks; children in strollers wrapped in what looks like dry cleaning plastic.

In Taiwan, people began stocking up on toilet paper and napkins after a rumor on the internet said they could be used as masks to stop the spread of viruses, said Yang Bo-ken, deputy director of the government’s Industrial Development Bureau.

Taiwan’s Criminal Investigation Bureau recommended the prosecution of three women on allegations they used the popular LINE social media service to suggest using table napkins, sanitary napkins and toilet paper as a mask substitute, a bureau spokesperson said.

Here waiting for something I ordered from China a few weeks back.  It is now sitting in the US at a port.  I wonder how many more days I have to wait.

I am from a 2nd tier city (9 mil+) in SW China. Just 2 days ago the police actually called me to inquire of my condition. Told them I was safe and currently in the US.

My friends in China are not allowed to drive or move about the city. Cannot meet or have friends visit. Allowed to leave their house once per day to go to the market and then return home. Have to use their phone to scan a barcode at whatever place they go. No scan, no enter building. Then scan again upon leaving. All apartment complexes are locked down and no one can enter or leave without scanning and listing their destination and time of return. No one may travel from their city, or allowed entry into another city. 

In Wuhan, hospitals do not take in people anymore. They are told to go home, left untreated to "ride it out". Many people are dieing in their homes and left undiscovered. Phone vids on the net show some people collapsing in the street in Wuhan. They have run out of body bags there as per hospital staff.

Things are not as MSM reports. I agree panic only makes the situation worse, however the fear of this virus IS very real, and I say again, take this seriously and be cautious anywhere. BTW, try buying a face mask in the USA. This problem needs everyones attention and vigilance, WASH your hands, do not touch people (handshakes, etc). This is not panic, just common sense.

SARS does not hold a candle to the Covid-19. This one is very dangerous. 

bucko said:
I am from a 2nd tier city (9 mil+) in SW China. Just 2 days ago the police actually called me to inquire of my condition. Told them I was safe and currently in the US.

My friends in China are not allowed to drive or move about the city. Cannot meet or have friends visit. Allowed to leave their house once per day to go to the market and then return home. Have to use their phone to scan a barcode at whatever place they go. No scan, no enter building. Then scan again upon leaving. All apartment complexes are locked down and no one can enter or leave without scanning and listing their destination and time of return. No one may travel from their city, or allowed entry into another city. 

In Wuhan, hospitals do not take in people anymore. They are told to go home, left untreated to "ride it out". Many people are dieing in their homes and left undiscovered. Phone vids on the net show some people collapsing in the street in Wuhan. They have run out of body bags there as per hospital staff.

Things are not as MSM reports. I agree panic only makes the situation worse, however the fear of this virus IS very real, and I say again, take this seriously and be cautious anywhere. BTW, try buying a face mask in the USA. This problem needs everyones attention and vigilance, WASH your hands, do not touch people (handshakes, etc). This is not panic, just common sense.

SARS does not hold a candle to the Covid-19. This one is very dangerous. 
I have seen what they have been doing in China, and it seems a bit overreacting, without being super effective.  For example, the hospital not accepting new patients that might need, wait for it, a hospital?  This virus, at worst, has a 2% fatality rate, maybe less.  I can guarantee that people heading to an emergency room have a much higher fatality rate if they aren't treated. Sort of like the cruise ship. Strict rules that in the end didn't do all that much. In other-words, panic is driving the response, not knowledge and logic.

Hmmm.. interesting...
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/24/virus-hit-wuhan-has-two-laboratories-linked-chines/

Yup, when they get caught in North America they call it "vaccine research". When they get caught in China, we call it "bio-weapon development". Too slow for a bio-weapon.

There are about 6 US patents listed for corona virus since 2014.

Back