802.11 IP Cam & NVR

mhouser03

I have a client who's asking me install FOUR CCTV cams in a variety of places, in a home that's already built. I can run a few wires .. but figure I WON'T run any instead, and would like to pair up an NVR with some cheap-o FOSCAM (FI8905W) WiFi/IP cams, such as shown here: http://www.bhphotovi...ireless_IP.html

This way I can locate them just below the ceiling, above a power outlet and fish the wires inside the wall, down to the outlets and plug them in.

Someone has suggested that I use Ethernet over power, or attach a wifi/extender-hub at the location - which could be useful in a pinch, i suppose.. but the client isn't interested in seeing a shelf with a buncha devices on it at the camera locations.. . Could still end up needing wifi-extenders to relay signal to the router/nvr.. but my main concern is IP compression compatibility with a network recording device.

This cameras output is MJPG

I understand that this camera boasts 'Built-In Network Video Recording System'
(256 MB min / 1.0 GB recommended), but i don't trust it to be the recorded-solution I should rely on.

This cameras output is MJPG, but I've been warned by others that NVR's can be more particular than just matching IP Compression formats, and that I *should* referr to manufacturers 'supported IP camera models' - 'else risk trial and error madness.

A stand alone WiFi/IP CCTV (w/power only), NVR compatible solution is what i am looking for.

Something where the only wire at the cameras location is power.

Like this example:
4ec9c6704a80e_229110n.jpg

Power wire goes in the wall and drops to the power outlet, directly below it..
And a compatable NVR can get the images for archiveal by visiting the IP address fof the individual cameras..
Camera #1 = 10.0.1.101/image.jpg -saved...
Camera #2 = 10.0.1.102/image.jpg -saved...
Camera #3 = 10.0.1.103/image.jpg -saved...
Camera #4 = 10.0.1.104/image.jpg -saved...

Seems none of the distributors, nor any of the manufacturers say their devices will work together.. or atleast those who do list 'supported devices', don't seem to have anything I can sell to this client. Some have even stated that not all MJPEG formats are the same..

I've been calling around all day.. seems the closest thing I can get, is a 2.5G non-wifi system such as shown below:

4camset__37292_thumb.jpg

And with this system, the distributor suggests that i purchase two directional antennea, and seperate the recievers by a few feet for proper performance. This does NOT sound like my solution. Help me scoobie doobie canoobie, you're my only hope.

It looks as if I will be purchasing a single bay QNAP 'network data storage device', running linux.. and the four FOSCAM 802.11 IP/Cameras for this problems solution; which will be a completely new technology for me. I can't believe there's not a more sure-fire cam/nvr residential end-user solution. but it seems as if every manufacturer and distributor I spoke with had no interest in what I wanted, only what they could sell me from their current inventory or production line.

A buddy of mine in Australia assures me that his 802.11/QNAP 'network data storage device' setup - runs flawlessly and saiz he loves it. Still, I'm still a little worried the non-geek end user may feel a little out of his technical element... but at least there will not have to be 4 separate 2.4G receivers,.. two directional antennas, while still leaving room room for an dvr on a shelf in the end users office.

This is not a high security application, right? Using RF/WiFi is always open to interference and jamming. POE is much more secure and reliable.

Good luck.

I'll make plenty sure the client is aware of the privacy concern, and eat the employers profit in nonreturnable Chinese hardware if the project isn't a success. I'm more worried that the devices wont be compatible, than the customer is about retrofitting wires into an existing structure. Functioning deterrents with above simple-eavesdropping - aka some measure of security/technology, is the target.

Anyone ever recorded IP Camera data using a QNAP network storage system before?

I was referring more to freedom from burglars jamming the WiFi band and disabling the camera reception entirely. Also the 2.4GHz WiFi band is very crowded with everything from microwave ovens to baby monitors to everyone's WiFi Access Point. Throw in the fact that RF loves to bounce around and add/subtract (multipath) and you end up with signal reliability issues.

Good luck.

I have a Qnap NAS, but don't have the IP recording enabled. Just wanted to vouch for the quality tho, it's a rock solid device.

That said, I couldn't agree more with Mr Spock, WiFi really sucks, especially if you want to record based on motion.

Well - then I'll be sure to post here, my experiences in goose detail. Also, I'd really love to hear from any burglars who might have experience with wifi jamming their target homes.

I am not worried about someone jamming your signal, but more about the many false alerts you can get if you record based on motion, etc.

I've had it up and running now for a week, in my home - playing with it, using FOSCAM FI8905W bullet style 100' IR WiFi cameras, and I love the cameras.. Sadly QNAP does not support FOSCAM any more than just 'GENERIC' settings.. unless I use string variables.. like http://mhost.dyndns.org:99/snapshot.cgi?user=mine&pwd=mine&resolution=8rate=12 - but I still cant do motion schedules..

I LOVE the face that QNAP boxes come with build in licenses.. but i've still, boxed the QNAP up and will send it back when the SYNOLOGY NAS arrives monday. Synology fully supports FOSCAM cameras, but only comes with a 1 cam license - more to be purchased separately. - but they're cheaper devices by enough to make upgrading nearly the same.

Otherwise - I think i can mark this system up 100% and install them all over town.

I'd be interested in seeing a shot from one of those cameras. Night vision at 98.4 feet, I'd like to see that too. Especially with a 6mm lens.

You'll also find that there are a lot of brands of IP cameras and NVR's that claim to support "every" brand of the other but most of the time it is the most basic support and MJPEG picture only. MJPEG is old, very old. It works but at the cost of storage and bandwidth. ONVIF was "supposed" to solve the compatibility issues between brands but it seems to have not done very much overall. It depends on what brands you are dealing with.

As far as the hardware has come over the past few years, you'd think that some of these camera manufacturers would hire actual web developers to help make their interfaces, and dedicate resources to fixing bugs or adding features.

Also, anything that requires ActiveX controls to configure certain aspects of the camera drive me nuts.

Back