All in one system

ctay

I am looking to build an all in one - one size fits most automation system that I can build into a couple of semi-custom homes. Here is my situation and my background:

Background: I built my personal home 3 years ago. I went with a large Elk M1Gold install with Centralite lightjet lighting and CQC to hold it together. I love the ELK and love the Centralite but have not had a good experience with CQC. Part of the security system was security cameras and for that I used a geovision system with 8 cameras. With the exception of CQC I have been very happy with everything.

Situation: I would like to incorporate full automation into a semi-custom home built as a spec (crazy right?). I have learned my lesson and will not be going with a super complex and unwieldy software package like CQC. What I would like is some opinions and ideas of how to bring everything under one roof and make it all work together. I have started looking at HAI systems but have not gone very far down that road yet. I would like something that can easily hold together these three systems: Security (with cameras, probably only one or two), HVAC & lighting. Would be nice to do audio but not required. End goal here is something that once setup would be easy for the home owner to maintain and would not be prohibitively expensive (eg not crestron).

I would love any input you have to offer. I spent a lot of time searching Cocoontech when building my home and I could not have done it with out the help and experience offered here!

Chris

You definitely want a well-integrated system, not a kludge - and you might have code issues to deal with. If at all possible stick with a complete solution (elk with touchscreens, HAI, Control4, Crestron, etc)... something that's gone through the pain of UL certification. And if you want the homeowners to be able to support it on their own, someone who'll work with DIY (HAI, Elk). I personally love the Elk but I think camera integration and possibly audio for a "canned" solution might be better suited for HAI, especially since they now do help DIY. The whole one-stop-shop thing could be handy.

A dedicated controller is your best bet - you don't want your clients' satisfaction based on a windows computer (coming from an MCSE). I'm fine with running a windows controller for years - but I wouldn't "sell" it as a packaged system.

Elan G! looks nice but it is a dealer only product and I can't tell what it will work with (ie Elk or HAI for security, lighting controller etc...). I'm also afraid that homeowners will not want to have to pay an integrator for any changes. Typically people want to at least have the option of fixing it themselves. I wonder how difficult it would be to become a Elan G! Dealer?

Work2Play, That is what I was thinking. HAI seems to be the right mix of features and company size but I have never dealt with any of their products. Is the OmniPro II a good comparable to the Elk M1 Gold? It seems to be slightly more expensive than the Elk.

Is there any other comparable company that has a similar ecosystem of products?

The OmniPro II is comparable to the Elk M1 Gold. It is usually a bit more expensive up front, but that is only because it includes more features built-in that are optional on the Elk unit. Once configured up with similar options, the pricing equals out. I would agree that the HAI system sounds like the best fit for your needs.

Maybe something like Myro ( http://www.meetmyro.com ) and an HAI panel is what your looking for?

Back