Android app

pete_c said:
Here one the requests when the Homeseer 3 HAI plugin was intially being written by Rob on Homeseer was to write to a MySQL database.

That said I have been looking and comparing the transaction times in the database to another network based application that also writes to a MySQL DB and the numbers look very good.

Concurrently in a side by side mode running Omnitouch Pro (wintel) on one tablet next to another tablet running HSTouch3 / HAI variables and HSTouch2 / HAI variables (with fixed HS2 HAI plugin).

The variable updates are in sync these days. (network but not serially)

Personally here have always been in the response times from the Homeseer touchscreens.  (in to time here).

Just a quickie comparison of the serial HS2 plugin and the network HS3 plugin relating to one zone timing.

Garage Door 1 close via serial / network HS2/HS3 Plugin
Serial - Garage Door 1         Today 6:13:11 AM
Network - Garage Door 1    Today 6:13:10 AM
In my Homeseer days, the problem with HomeSeer and the serial link wasn't so much the speed, but rather the polling that had to be done to every switch to get its status. If you had lots of switches, this polling put lots of load on the panel, and it ran slower. The network interface put much let load on the panel, for one because each switch didn't have to be polled. You could help that by not polling all the switches through the serial interface, but then you lost switch status.

Yup; here a thread that dates back a few years and much of the thread is related to the polling issues.

HAI Homeseer Thread

Read it as it will provide you with historicals and some entertainment.

Over the years here I did tweak out the polling some as I added more devices.

It is better to read the thread.  I understand that it's a bit lengthy and goes back to 2002.  (13 years now).

Sometime before Homeseer 3 was released there were updates to Homeseer 2.  I participated relating the testing of these updates and it was a lengthy process. 

For whatever reason the HAI plugin was updated around this time.  I downloaded the updated plugin and installed it and it appears that it cleared a few issues that I had and brought stability to the plugin.  

The I purchased the OPII panel in the early 2000's based on this plugin too for a time (well a few years) I too was frustrated with its performance.

I currently have two boxes running Homeseer 2.  It's been a couple of years now and my Homeseer 2 / OPII plugin is running very well these days.  I really do not know what it was that fixed it and whether it was related to the updated Homeseer 2 or the HAI plugin.  It just works. 

I have left the two Homeseer 2 boxes running doing what they have always done and do not pay attention as my run times are months long (well longer these days).  I have mostly concentrated on migrating from Homeseer 2 to Homeseer 3.

picta said:
If reliability is your main concern and you only like to use Android, then definitely research the Elk. While you may wish to add a software controller later to expand your automation scope, it's best to focus on the basics first, and the less hubs you have in between, the more reliable your system will be. I would not count on Homeseer control of HAI to be more reliable than Snaplink. It is a work in progress, and it adds a lot of moving parts. At least with Elk you can use myKeypad from day one without the need for an additional PC.

Alternatively, you can swap your android for an iPhone and get Space and HAI and you'll have the best HA system there is today ^_^

Yes, when I'm accessing my home remotely, reliability is critical. I want to make sure that status showing on my phone is actually what the status is at home. When I change things from my phone I want to be sure they happen at home. When there are events at home I want notifications on my phone in a timely manner. From everything I read, I can't count on Snaplink to provide this kind of reliability.

Unfortunately, a quick glance at Google Play tells me that myKeypad is not the solution either. The app (free and Pro versions) has not been updated since 2012, the developer doesn't respond to emails and the app does not work at all with the latest Lollipop OS. This is reported in multiple reviews. Also, overall ratings aren't that great.

Good news is there is another app called M1 Touch Pro for Elk which is very highly reviewed and has a responsive dev. Latest update was less than a month ago. This is probably what I'm looking for. Today.

Alas, I am reluctant to make a huge investment in HAI/Elk which ultimately leaves me relying on a third party app for reliable mobile access. When the Android M OS comes out the Touch Pro dev might drop off the face of the planet too and I'll be stuck without mobile access. It's a shame that Leviton/Elk can't produce and maintain an Android app like Touch Pro. I'd feel a lot better knowing that I could count on the manufacturer to keep me connected. I guess people with iOS devices are lucky that the company behind Haiku is clearly in it for the long haul.

Is the home automation world so far behind the times that it's still an i-device centric world when the majority of the real world is on Android? Am I missing something here?

I feel like I have to step up to RTI if I want to future proof myself as an Android user. 

As for something like CQC, I'd love to go that route but the timing isn't right. I'm going through a major remodel with a ton on my plate so I don't have the bandwidth to learn CQC and I've never had a HA system so I don't have the hands-on experience to build it right. If this was my second go around with a HA system I'd be a lot more likely to go the CQC route but right now I don't know what I don't know. It won't end well. And again, not sure what the Android situation with CQC is, last I checked I think there was an app under development.

Baby steps.  You have read a bunch now.  It is best to test out the applications and really see for yourself.  What some folks deem unsatisfactory relating to software / Android applications other folks are very happy campers with what they utilize.

You are familiar with your Android phones and you know what you like to see. 

This is where you try the software and judge it for yourself.

Over the last year have been playing a bit with Securifi's Almond + automation touchscreen combination firewall, access point and automation device.

Cloud service utilized for the Almond + is Amazon today.  Reponse times to the little Zigbee / Z-Wave trinkets is very fast.  Looks to be instant to me on the cell phones.

I have also upgraded to using LTE / 4G.  Accessing your stuff at home whatever it may be; if it is a direct connection all depends on the transport you utilize (well all of that in between stuff).

The Elk / HAI panels have a long history.  That said they both were the first combination security / automation panels.

It is known that the most popular / utilize mobile OS's today are Android, iOs and coming back from a long sleep is Microsoft.

Many of the Cocoontech forum users here utilize the Leviton HAI / Elk M1 panels. 

Many of those folks also do not use software addumdums but rather keep it very simple only automating on the panels.  Here while I touch my panel / software and it provides status to me. I do not utilize the mobile remote stuff too much because the automation takes care of itself with little interaction from me. 

pete_c said:
Baby steps.  You have read a bunch now.  It is best to test out the applications and really see for yourself.  What some folks deem unsatisfactory relating to software / Android applications other folks are very happy campers with what they utilize.

You are familiar with your Android phones and you know what you like to see. 

This is where you try the software and judge it for yourself.

Over the last year have been playing a bit with Securifi's Almond + automation touchscreen combination firewall, access point and automation device.

Cloud service utilized for the Almond + is Amazon today.  Reponse times to the little Zigbee / Z-Wave trinkets is very fast.  Looks to be instant to me on the cell phones.

I have also upgraded to using LTE / 4G.  Accessing your stuff at home whatever it may be; if it is a direct connection all depends on the transport you utilize (well all of that in between stuff).

The Elk / HAI panels have a long history.  That said they both were the first combination security / automation panels.

It is known that the most popular / utilize mobile OS's today are Android, iOs and coming back from a long sleep is Microsoft.

Many of the Cocoontech forum users here utilize the Leviton HAI / Elk M1 panels. 

Many of those folks also do not use software addumdums but rather keep it very simple only automating on the panels.  Here while I touch my panel / software and it provides status to me. I do not utilize the mobile remote stuff too much because the automation takes care of itself with little interaction from me. 

I'm not sure how to test anything out without having a system installed to test with. If I install a system and I'm not happy with it I can't very easily change course. What are you suggesting I do?

Right now when comparing Elk/HAI access with Android, the clear winner is Elk + M1 Touch Pro. But that is today. Just like the myKeypad dev disappeared so can the Touch Pro dev. I want to know that what I install today will still work in ten years. I want to keep updating my phone but I don't want to keep updating my security/automation. Between RTI/Leviton/Elk, RTI is the only one committed to supporting Android in house.

Interesting you mention Almond+. I put one in for my parents to use as a WiFi repeater and it works amazingly well as a repeater, best I've tried. But I forgot that it has some automation capability built in. I never really considered using an off-the-shelf product as the heart of my new home's HA. HA capabilities strike me as an afterthought thrown into the Almond+ for marketing purposes. How robust can that little thing be? Are you saying Almond+ is a viable option I should consider? Seems like if I was going to go that route Vera would be the obvious choice but a lot of people say Vera isn't totally reliable so I never seriously considered it.

What are you suggesting I do?

Well most of the software has demo wizards which appear to do stuff but do not.  Relating to the Omnipro II I can help some relating to live testing.  We can take that off line.

Many folks today continue to utilize generation one of the combo Omnipro panels that didn't come with network connectivity at the time and it automates just fine for them.  Well the remote control back then was TTS / a pots line with a voice and commands you could enter via a phone keypad. 

Both of the combo panel companies are attempting to make a continous go of it.  Albeit slow because of the age of the companies. (conservative)

Guess here I am saying to assume that these companies will adapt to the times as the competition is getting fierce and I do not think these companies (well like Leviton) are going to go away anytime soon.

It is understood that you want to manage your stuff with Android.  The Android phone is a console to your stuff at home like an old terminal was to a mainframe many many years ago.  Today everybody has one of these little computer consoles to the internet with them 24/7.

Any product you feel comfortable with can be a choice for you. 

It is up to you.  Myself as stated use this and that.  I am a bit proficient with its use but its been many many years.  I write sometimes that it is plug n play.  Well for me it is because of all of the years of learning it.  Many folks on the forum are like me having used this or that for many years and venting right here about their growing pains of learning about this stuff.  The passion you see here is much related to that.  It is difficult though to convey that to you because I don't know much more about your knowledgebase other than what you have written here and being primarily Android phone centric. 

The Almond + is the first of its kind (there are patents on the technology utilized for said product).  It is a small self contained automation combo box.  It is managed in the cloud.  There are iOS and Android apps for it.  It's just another product to have a look at. 

Too what people say about a product whatever it may be is their input based on their experiences with whatever.  You yourself may have a totally different experience with the products good or bad or so so. 

The opportunity is there for you to look and test and play with stuff.  Do it. 

Back