Anyone using Fibaro Home Center 2? Thoughts?

CRRC

I'm looking into alternative home automation controllers. Looking into the Fibaro. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with it?

The part that intrigues me most is that it can be extended by user-written lua script. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Yes, Fibaro Home Center 2 is a great product. It's interface is user friendly. It responds very fast and it's very easy to use and powerful. 

if you gonna DIY on software, I strongly recommend you to take a look at mixtile hub.
This hub is Linux based, can run with compatible software, even include open source like homebridge, hassio, iobroker, domoticz, etc...
That means it can do many things on automation.
you can check on indiegogo, the crowdfunding lasts a few days.

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum CCRC, digiark and Fenix.

Historically here have played with the Vera box and Domoticz which both utilize a lot of LUA stuff.

Gone to playing with openwrt micro hubs these days with tinkering pins (GPIO) and much LUA stuff.

Curious what is the hardware that Fibaro Home Center 2 is using? 

hs2.jpg

Nice video from Mixtile hub.  Here tinker with the Samsung Smartthings hub.

What makes the Mixtile hub different?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/RZQchJeGhY0[/youtube]

If you go with Fibaro you are pretty much committing to Z-Wave as your primary communication protocol. Thinking through the implications of that is what has kept me from looking too deeply at their ecosystem.

pete_c said:
Welcome to the Cocoontech forum CCRC, digiark and Fenix.

Historically here have played with the Vera box and Domoticz which both utilize a lot of LUA stuff.

Gone to playing with openwrt micro hubs these days with tinkering pins (GPIO) and much LUA stuff.

Curious what is the hardware that Fibaro Home Center 2 is using? 

attachicon.gif
hs2.jpg

Nice video from Mixtile hub.  Here tinker with the Samsung Smartthings hub.

What makes the Mixtile hub different?

[youtube] [/youtube]

Hi.
Mixtile hub stores data locally instead of cloud server, built-in voice assistant works offline too.
And the most different is you can get root permission of mixtile hub.

Yup; one of the features of the Almond + was related to shutting off the cloud connection and to have local root access to the box from the get go.  Relating to development I recall getting cloud development access for my multiple boxes.  Doing similar today with the Samsung Smartthings hub.

Relating to transport medium for automation here utilize X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee.

I have wireless Zigbee / ZWave trinkets that work with batteries. They work OK for wireless but are not even close to my wired sensors in terms of response time.

Environmental sensors (and alarm) here are all wired and they always work and I never have to change batteries.

My wall light switches are all UPB and they work 100% with no issues.

Relating to Text to Speech and Voice recognition here while I do tinker with cloud stuff still prefer Microsoft SAPI.

I have used it since it's inception in the 1990's.  Today have a collection of voice fonts; domestic and international.

Over the last few years I have turned down the chatty kathy voices in the house due to WAF and mostly let the automation run itself with little interaction from me other than mostly seeing status on the touchscreens on demand.

My automation touchscreens all do SAPI and it works fine without a cloud connection. 

All of my primary for use automation here is not cloud dependent any how; never has been. 

My tinkering automation is cloud dependent and I have fun playing with it.

I have not paid for any of the devices that I tinker and would probably not pay to tinker with them.  That is me.

Back