Apologies and another question

Reading through the ELK manual, it says that the M1 stores its "operating firmware in Flash memory."  I've assumed that this meant that only the firmware is in flash, and the configuration information was elsewhere (e.g. in non-flash memory that requires battery backup).  But now I wonder if this is also stored in flash.

What if you try doing a reset of the entire panel back to factory defaults from the Global System Defs menu, G45?

Yes, the panel info is retained in flash, but there are other items running in RAM on the board that can be stopped and cleared by pulling the cell on the board. I've had a few instances before that required this method but can't remember the specifics....this dates back to the old 4.XX FW and back when there were M1's, M1G's available...before the M1 supported anything but the Caddx 548E receiver.

You can perform a factory default as well via the globals, I just had to look up the specifics as it's been awhile since I've perused the manual, however I've always just dumped in a blank program into the panel with no issues, as otherwise you'll need to go back in and re-add a few items to be able to get in via RP and TCP/IP.

RAL said:
Reading through the ELK manual, it says that the M1 stores its "operating firmware in Flash memory."  I've assumed that this meant that only the firmware is in flash, and the configuration information was elsewhere (e.g. in non-flash memory that requires battery backup).  But now I wonder if this is also stored in flash.

What if you try doing a reset of the entire panel back to factory defaults from the Global System Defs menu, G45?
RAL - G45? My last global setting in RP is 42.

edit: I just read that g45 is only accessible through the keypad and not RP....cool. tomorrow's another day.

RAL said:

RAL

Thanks for the tip on global 45, that did the trick.

mikefamig said:
Thanks for the tip on global 45, that did the trick.

I'm glad to help and am glad that it worked!  I've never tried a reset of the entire panel myself, so I'm also learning from your experience.

RAL said:
I'm glad to help and am glad that it worked!  I've never tried a reset of the entire panel myself, so I'm also learning from your experience.
When you access global 45 via the keypad there is an option 99 to reset all or you can reset a list of items individually,

Mike.

Ok so I wiped the control, uninstalled/reinstalled Elkrp, opened a new blank account, added new zones and got the system running again. It now includes all of the zones in my house which amounts to 4 wired zones, four wireless zones and a keypad. I have physically disconnected from the control the rs-485 cat5 that services the garage.

Next I plan to bring the garage back with just the p212s power supply, dbh and keypad in that physical order terminated at the dbh. If that goes smoothly I'll add back the garage xin, zones, ovr and door control outputs very carefully.

After a night's rest this isn't so upsetting. I think it's a good exercise that should only take a few hours. With what I've learned in the last couple of months I can rebuild this thing neater and with a lot more confidence than the first time around.

Mike.

Update

The sytem ran well for a couple of days with only the controller and house zones that are connected directly to the controller.

This morning I connected the second rs-485/cat5 that runs to the garage. It went directly to a p212s power supply, 1 DBH and 1 Keypad in that order. About a minute after restarting and enrolling the new parts the system went back to it's old tricks and voiced an open zone for no reason.

Next I removed the keypad leaving the p212s and DBH....same problem.

Next I removed the DBH leaving only the p212s....same problem

and finally I disconnected the p212s going back to house only and the symptom seems to have disappeared again (time will tell)

Any takers? I wish that I had a spare p212s to try as a replacement but I do not. I'm thinking of adding the DBH and keypad in the garage without the auxiliary power of the p212s and powering from the control.

Suggestion?

Mike.

Since the 212 is enrolled as a keypad, what area is it attached to in RP?

What is the topology in relation to the 212's? Is there some distance involved?

DELInstallations said:

There is only one area now (area1) since the system account rebuild. I have physically disconnected the cat5 that connects the garage to the control and the system ran well for a couple of days with only the controller and wired/wireless house zones that are connected directly to the controller.

This morning I connected the second rs-485/cat5 that runs to the garage. It went directly to a p212s power supply, 1 DBH and 1 Keypad in that order. About a minute after restarting and enrolling the new parts the system went back to it's old tricks and voiced an open zone for no reason.

Next I removed the keypad leaving the p212s and DBH....same problem.

Next I removed the DBH leaving only the p212s....same problem

and finally I disconnected the p212s going back to house only and the symptom seems to have disappeared again (time will tell)

Mike.

This has nothing to do with areas or arming at this point. The system just chimes a zone whenever it feels like it. And it only has the problem when I connect the p212s to the second rs-485.

Tomorrow I am going to try connecting the second rs-485 directly to the DBH and keypad in the garage using the power supply on the control  and omitting the p212s.

Mike.

DELInstallations said:

I didn't address your second question in my last post. To answer.....the cable between the control and the p212s is 250 ' of gel filled cat6 direct bury cable that runs underground inside a conduit.

Are you properly terminating that end of the databus?

As you move the various equipment around, you'd also need to consider where the terminating resistor is....

The wiring describe below doesn’t make any sense. The keypad and P212 (located in garage) need their own cat5 home run wiring. If you have M1XIN then a third cat5 is required. I would just wire the keypad by itself and use one area. If this works, then you can change the definition for second keypad to a different area (common practice with garage). I understand you could probably daisy chain all the garage devices on one cable, but you are really asking for trouble trying to accurate figure out which device terminates the bus.

>At the control the cat5 has the two green data wires connected to A and B data and the two brown
>wires twisted together and connected to common or 12v-. At the garage the same cat5 has the two
>green A and B data wires connected to the A and B data on the supervised p212s power supply and the
>brown pair connected to the common on the p212s power supply(no termination).  The data bus then
>leaves there and goes to the dbh which in turn connects a keypad, a xin and an ovr and terminates with
>the dbh terminator plug.

From the thread’s description, it sounds like you have a wire crimping or zone termination issue. I have experienced the similar random bus bad behavior caused by a poorly built RJ-45 DBH connection.

One DBH has a quite a bit of expandability, so most people don’t use the second RS-485 Port B. Since the onboard jumper JP21 has to be on when DBH is connected to Port A, I think termination methodology changes.  I don’t have manual in front of me.

Is my understanding of wiring correct, you only have one cat5 going to the garage. You are trying to daisy chain multiple devices on garage loop and use Port B. You then have a Port A using DBH.

Back