Arduino & Home Automation

Good idea about making it "microcontroller". As soon as the Raspberry Pi is available on this side of the pond, I'd like to play around with one of those as well :)

I've used an Arduino for a giant spider prop that I built for my halloween display last year. I used a motion sensor to activate and triggered a pneumatic solenoid on and off a few times as well as triggered a sound circuit. Love these things!

So sounds like it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work out, I'll move any future threads back to this 'Home Automation' category, so we don't lose anything.

This is a good idea as arduino's are gaining ground as a major platform for all types of automation. Lots of intersting things being done with them in this regard.

Hi to all! I want to share this project http://www.souliss.net.
A brief description

Souliss is an open-source framework dedicated for Home Automation devices, it runs over AVR's microcontrollers and include all the libraries and drivers required for a complete a distributed intelligent home, including many user interfaces (like the Android client).

For admin: if you consider it interesting maybe you can start a new topic.

I have done a lot of work with DS18B20 1-wire. Working on testing a 20 temp probe hub all connected to arduino. Using external power configuration. The parasitic mode I have found does have limits when you get into the higher probe counts on the network. you can check work out at www.rik94566.wordpress.com

I mentioned this elsewhere, so preemptive apologies abounding: check out the most recent issue of Make magazine. The topic is Home Automation. Arduinos throughout.

I moved the Ethernet posts into their own thread, since it really is an interesting topic, and ths move makes it easier to find this info.

Just picked up a Micro Maestro http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J40/all#1.a and a servo motor. My plan is to mount it on my hot water heater storage tank and have the servo turn the hot water temp down when it gets a signal from my elk m1 relay output, and visa versa. I saw no real way to automate other than the good ol' manual way. Should have the unit installed within a couple of days. If that is successful I'll also mount a servo to turn off the hot water loop during non-peak times of the day so we're not constantly heating water we are not using!

I was going to post a link to troublefreepool that has several automated controls projects on it, but i can't post links yet?
www dot troublefreepool dot com/diy-automated-controls-advice-solicited-t5708 dot html
I have posted my Intex/arduino project there

[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]I'm working on a basic I/O & Serial board that can support either an Arduino, Raspberry Pi or PIC.[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]Brief specs.[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]4 Relays[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]4 Opto inputs[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]1 RS232/422/485[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]1 XBee socket[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]1 EEPROM (optional)[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]up to to four units can be expanded via 10pin ribbon cable (I2C).[/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]MPU sockets for PDIP ATmega328P & PIC18F26K20 or 26pin header to Raspberry Pi[/background]
[background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]header for USB to TTL (Arduino mode or PIC bootloader)[/background]

A brief look at the PDIP 20 MSP430 options seems like a MCU from 1999. They appears to be lacking any HW UART or I2C options.

Back