Are you worried about the Corona Virus

• Yes

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Common sense still exists right along side science and fact.

There are many who still believe that the earth is not warming up in spite of rising average global temperatures as measured by scientists (people who know how to measure and record things). We have measured the warming yet it isn't really happening.

"The 10 warmest years on record have all occurred since 1998, and 9 of the 10 have occurred since 2005. The year 1998 is the only year from the twentieth century still among the ten warmest years on record. Looking back to 1988, a pattern emerges: except for 2011, as each new year is added to the historical record, it becomes one of the top 10 warmest on record at that time, but it is ultimately replaced as the “top ten” window shifts forward in time."

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/weather/southwest-record-high-temps-arizona-california-forecast/index.html

It's disturbing to me that parents will send their children back to school this fall without some extraordinary measures taken in the classroom. I'm not in that situation but I can't imagine that I would send my kids back.

Mike.

LarrylLix said:
Sure, and every google found website will tell you their opinion is fact, and the better sites will show proof, making their opinion  "science".  Peer review is one of the best techniques in medical and some other sciences. That means two people's opinions back that theory until somebody changes enough minds and then their "facts" were mistaken.

Science is not fact and doesn't claim to be. Science is theory that has the most opinions supporting it,  and the least disproven theory. It changes as new "facts" are discovered if the majority crowd agrees with it.

...and the world isn't flat...in my opinion. LOL!

LarryLix

Science is certainly not fact until theories are proven and then accepted as fact. What was once fact years ago has been dis-proven and replaced with hew facts. Yes facts change as we learn but I don't have a time machine or a crystal ball and choose to live in my own time and grow as I go. That is learning. That is how we have come to be where we are today for better or worse.

If you do not turn to science for information of scientific nature then where do you turn to? if you don't look to science for the answers to as yet unanswered question where do you look? What do you base decisions on?

Mike.

mikefamig said:

LarryLix

Science is certainly not fact until theories are proven and then accepted as fact. What was once fact years ago has been dis-proven and replaced with hew facts. Yes facts change as we learn but I don't have a time machine or a crystal ball and choose to live in my own time and grow as I go. That is learning. That is how we have come to be where we are today for better or worse.

If you do not turn to science for information of scientific nature then where do you turn to? if you don't look to science for the answers to as yet unanswered question where do you look? What do you base decisions on?

Mike.
That's a tough one Mike!

I base my opinions on established science, mostly the masses opinions on theories that have not been disproven for many many years, decades, centuries, and my own common sense. Then I consider them facts. I am sure most of us work that way.
Most mechanical science "facts" are fairly stable and all we can do is accept them the way they are taught. Not likely they will ever be disproven.

However many fields are still in constant flux. Medical and geological items are one of the always in flux. "Science based" facts are disproven constantly in my life time. We have seen professionals ridiculed and criminally charged right out of their fields and out of their countries for making claims based on their discoveries. Later it can become the new accepted "science" as fact.

Eg. Viruses causing cancer. Now we have vaccines that prevent cancer. What?
Eg. Bacteria causing stomach ulcers? Now that is commonly accepted that H.Pylori bacteria causes ulcers.
Eg. Core ice samples demonstrating colder winters after a high CO2 summer proving a relationship. Now they know they read the core layers in reverse.
Eg. Antarctica ice size diminishing proving global warming. Ooooops. now admit they forget the unwatched coast showing increased ice size.
Eg. We will all be under 50 feet of water when the poles melt. Well ice takes up less volume as melted water. Where did all that ice come from? LOL

The list goes one. With all the loose "facts" online, it becomes hard to separate real data. Being individual "scientists" is certainly causing a lot of stress these days.

I've heard it said that fact has been replaced by perception and those words keep coming to mind over and over again. Science knows very little about this virus and what they do know or what they believe to be true they are not sharing with me.

Our government and the present day media is self serving and has no motive to do what is best for the population. Their motive is to get re-elected or to scare us into buying merchandise or ideas. People are scalping Isopropyl alcohol. As for this virus I feel like I am facing a mix of not knowing an not caring from the people that should be working to protect the health of the society and the entire world..

Mike

mikefamig said:
I've heard it said that fact has been replaced by perception and those words keep coming to mind over and over again. Science knows very little about this virus and what they do know or what they believe to be true they are not sharing with me.

Our government and the present day media is self serving and has no motive to do what is best for the population. Their motive is to get re-elected or to scare us into buying merchandise or ideas. People are scalping Isopropyl alcohol. As for this virus I feel like I am facing a mix of not knowing an not caring from the people that should be working to protect the health of the society and the entire world..

Mike
Yeah. I found this stuff gradually consuming our lives and we let it. But it is gradual and we don't realise it. Slowly it seeps into your brain and causes stress.
Funny, if you just get away from it for a while, you develop the "So what" attitude and it really doesn't matter. Then for some stupid reason we get curious again and the next thing it's like a nasty accident. It shouldn't affect us and we are not involved but we just can't take our eyes off the gore.

Most of us just need a few nights out, with a few friends and drinks and maybe some exercise like a swim in a cold lake.

LarrylLix said:
Yeah. I found this stuff gradually consuming our lives and we let it. But it is gradual and we don't realise it. Slowly it seeps into your brain and causes stress.
Funny, if you just get away from it for a while, you develop the "So what" attitude and it really doesn't matter. Then for some stupid reason we get curious again and the next thing it's like a nasty accident. It shouldn't affect us and we are not involved but we just can't take our eyes off the gore.

Most of us just need a few nights out, with a few friends and drinks and maybe some exercise like a swim in a cold lake.
We can ignore the media but the virus will consume our lives even more quickly if we ignore it. Looking the other way won't help.

mikefamig said:
We can ignore the media but the virus will consume our lives even more quickly if we ignore it. Looking the other way won't help.

Don't ignore your health safety. Take a step back from the crap! Ignore the negative media like newscasts.. They will only demand more attention with their grandstanding and ruin your mental health.  They are selling a product and they try to make it addictive.
Focusing on the virus 24x7 won't help either.

LarrylLix said:
Don't ignore your health safety. Take a step back from the crap! Ignore the negative media like newscasts.. They will only demand more attention with their grandstanding and ruin your mental health.  They are selling a product and they try to make it addictive.
Focusing on the virus 24x7 won't help either.
I couldn't agree with you more. It's harder to avoid the media when you're retired and I stay pretty busy for an old guy. The problem is that we don't get out of the yard as much lately with the virus so the TV is always nearby. I'm not much of an Iphone guy and don't use Facebook or Twitter but my wife can't put it down. She gets upset when I go out and don't take the phone with me.

You can see from my posts here that I am upset by some of the stuff that is going on in the world and it would do me good to step back a few steps from it but it kills me that some people are just looking the other way. I wish that more people would get upset and then maybe things could start getting better.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
I couldn't agree with you more. It's harder to avoid the media when you're retired and I stay pretty busy for an old guy. The problem is that we don't get out of the yard as much lately with the virus so the TV is always nearby. I'm not much of an Iphone guy and don't use Facebook or Twitter but my wife can't put it down. She gets upset when I go out and don't take the phone with me.

You can see from my posts here that I am upset by some of the stuff that is going on in the world and it would do me good to step back a few steps from it but it kills me that some people are just looking the other way. I wish that more people would get upset and then maybe things could start getting better.

Mike.
I hear you.

I am finding now, when we go shopping and see a person without a mask, they will be the one that will reach across you, breath in your face and bang shoulders with you. Strangely enough, the ones without masks are usually the ones that work in the stores. With all the extreme contact they make with "outsiders", it surprises me we don't hear about more cases here. But we live in a small town area that has only seen 100 cases over two large counties so people get away with that behaviour. We had a nursing home get 24 infected and 12 workers and they all recovered with NO deaths.

I carried a cane for a while with a foot problem, and smacked a few people in the shins by suddenly turning around and making a sweep with the cane. Of course I apologise that I never saw them that close to me. LOL

We were glued to the idiot box for many months and I found my wife actually crying one evening during a discussion. That was when I knew we had to get away from all that News media depression. Now we peek at it every second or third night maybe, and it has really helped.

What we pass off as news today is a blood sport. It's a guilty pleasure to watch all of the pain and suffering of others. I suppose misery loves company. We're back to the day of the gladiators. I believe that people are entertained by it all but can't admit it even to themselves. I have to admit that I take my daily dose each morning with the TV set on and the computer in my lap. After the stock market opens I roll out and go about my day.

Mike.

One could always cut the cable and get news from here! Or other sources LOL. But seriously cutting the cable years ago has been good for my mental and physical health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
One could always cut the cable and get news from here! Or other sources LOL. But seriously cutting the cable years ago has been good for my mental and physical health. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They sure know how to draw people in with this stuff. The newsmedia sits waiting for the most controversial crap they can muster. Then they doll it up and glamorise it so you can't take your eyes off it.

Result? Billions of people on edge, taking more medications. Maybe there is some profits in it for somebody.

LarrylLix said:
They sure know how to draw people in with this stuff. The newsmedia sits waiting for the most controversial crap they can muster. Then they doll it up and glamorise it so you can't take your eyes off it.
Step back for a minute.  Newspapers, radio, television, internet--they all monitor closely what their readers/viewers want.  Then they try to give that to them.  Media reacts to their market's taste.  If they don't, they lose their viewers/readers which leads to less advertising and/or subscription revenue which leads to going out of business.  

Yes, some media organizations try to "lead" but they can only lead where their readers/viewers want to go.

If you want to change media, you need to change media consumers.  

Craig
(And yes, I worked with a media company for a period of my career.)

Back