Arming Garage Door Suggestions

Rather than having a long exit delay on the garage door I set my door zone as force-armable. This way I can arm the house with the garage door open (usually  sitting in the carfrom my iphone) and drive out at any point afterward. The garage door will then arm as soon as the door/zone closes.

Mike.

I do something similar.
The door and motions in the garage are bypassed for 10 minutes or until the door closes.
Once the door closes they are all armed, or if the 10 minute timer expires they are armed.

So if I inadvertently leave the door open the motion will be armed inside after 10 minutes.
The open door should trip an alarm at the end of the 10 minutes anyway generating texts and a phone call with me just 10 minutes down the road.

Once I get the control relay for the door installed, I'll make the 10 minute timer trip a door closing routine and extend the alarm reset timer to 12 minutes.

The Omni has an auto bypass setting which pretty much handles if a zone is still not-ready when the alarm turns on.  I went a different route if the door was left open. I automatically close it.  My idea of a "smarthome" is not one that nags or can be remote controlled, but one that can solve problems itself.  This required a door open senor as well as a door closed sensor in addition to a wall of IR beams across the door.  You don't want an automatically closing door to hit people, animals, or a car hatch.  If the door does not/can not open or close in a given amount of time, then I get a message.  Breaking any of the IR beams while the door is closing stops the door.

With my relay control I plan to put in a warning strobe, klaxon and voice alerts when the door is closed automatically. 
I rely on the opener onboard sensors to detect obstacles.  Between the audible and visual warnings and the door noise and motion itself, there should be enough to alert someone.

The auto bypass feature will wait indefinitely for the zone to become ready before it starts monitoring it.
That could be all day.
I use the auto bypass feature with a RESTORE ALL ZONES command so I can arm the alarm with the garage door open, but it will immediately alert me if another zone, such as a window is open.  Then the garage door is specifically bypassed and restored as described above.
This ensures I don't arm the system away or stay with any of the outbuilding doors open.
The windows have special handling depending on arming mode.

Without auto bypass enabled you can't arm the alarm unless all zones are secure.
There are times my wife goes out to the car ahead of me and then I follow.
The garage door is already open, and it is a hassle to close it just to arm the alarm.
I'm using a console in this case, not a PROGRAM ARM from a touchscreen or other app.
This system has worked well for 5 years.

Desert_AIP said:
With my relay control I plan to put in a warning strobe, klaxon and voice alerts when the door is closed automatically. 
I rely on the opener onboard sensors to detect obstacles.  Between the audible and visual warnings and the door noise and motion itself, there should be enough to alert someone.
Unfortunately that isn't likely to prevent damage from the most common scenario, you left your car hatch open when you were unloading groceries.

The required garage sensors can possibly prevent your newborn from being crushed, but not much else. They are pretty much worthless otherwise.

ano said:
The Omni has an auto bypass setting which pretty much handles if a zone is still not-ready when the alarm turns on.  I went a different route if the door was left open. I automatically close it.  My idea of a "smarthome" is not one that nags or can be remote controlled, but one that can solve problems itself.  This required a door open senor as well as a door closed sensor in addition to a wall of IR beams across the door.  You don't want an automatically closing door to hit people, animals, or a car hatch.  If the door does not/can not open or close in a given amount of time, then I get a message.  Breaking any of the IR beams while the door is closing stops the door.
You're better off using the OHD's sensor to reverse on contact. If the concern is preventing the OHD from coming down if an external PE is blocked, then use a portion of the PE beam's output to break the operation of the trigger to the OHD.

For the open/close positioning and getting an alarm, I'd look at DPDT OHD contacts and separate out the automation from the security, then wire both in parallel to trip the panel only when both trigger.

The more you put into the panel programming, the more that can go wrong or not operate correctly. Absolutes via hardware would be my suggestion.

Yeah here left the built in GDO stuff alone and did add physical open/closed hardware loops (absolutes). 

I did have an incident in the 1990's that is still ingrained relating to the GDO  / security / garage door.

Recalling now the driveway used optical sensors (lightning did trigger the sensors sometimes).

Wife was on a conference call and pulled in to the garage while keeping her car running. 

After a few minutes and whatever automation logic had been applied the garage door did shut.  It was very low on the WAF.

pete_c said:
After a few minutes and whatever automation logic had been applied the garage door did shut.  It was very low on the WAF.
I'm using this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dphoto&field-keywords=Seco-Larm+Enforcer+Curtain+Sensors%2C+8+Beams

Its a 8 beam IR sensor and it covers almost the full door opening.  Its not the greatest sensor in the world.  Its very cheap plastic, the tamper switch doesn't work well, and when one or more of the beams are blocked, the relay in it will click off then back on for some unknown reason.  I had to hook an ELK-960 timer to it so that this constant on/off wouldn't be sent back to the Omni.  I couldn't find anything better out there, at least not for less than 10X the price.

Back in the 90's it was the awe of the integration of logic, security and automation and bunches of if then statements. 

The garage was not attached to the home and I couldn't really see if the garage door was open or closed from everywhere such that initially it started with just a wireless blinky light, then a beep, a TTS announcement and then integration to the security pieces.

All that stuff though and I never would have guessed or predicted that my wife would drive in to the garage and not shut off the car.

Today I can remote shut off the cars so I guess that could be integrated in to the security automation stuff with little effort.

It is different but still wondering if I have covered any/all types of scenarios which would not circumvent the safety stuff for the sake of automation.

ano said:
I'm using this: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dphoto&field-keywords=Seco-Larm+Enforcer+Curtain+Sensors%2C+8+Beams

Its a 8 beam IR sensor and it covers almost the full door opening.  Its not the greatest sensor in the world.  Its very cheap plastic, the tamper switch doesn't work well, and when one or more of the beams are blocked, the relay in it will click off then back on for some unknown reason.  I had to hook an ELK-960 timer to it so that this constant on/off wouldn't be sent back to the Omni.  I couldn't find anything better out there, at least not for less than 10X the price.
And if you're like 90% of the houses with garages, you have 2 garage doors, so you have to pay very close attention to the phasing and how you install them. Biggest mistake when installing PE beams. The on/off sounds like it's normal operation. The relays on them don't latch if interrupted. They also don't work like the PE beams that come with OHD openers to operate as a safety. My guess is you're having beam scatter or the ambient is overpowering.

Been installing PE beams outside for 20 years and work on them on systems older than that. Use them as a virtual fence at dealerships and other areas. Also in large warehouses and other areas.

DELInstallations said:
And if you're like 90% of the houses with garages, you have 2 garage doors, so you have to pay very close attention to the phasing and how you install them. Biggest mistake when installing PE beams. The on/off sounds like it's normal operation. The relays on them don't latch if interrupted. They also don't work like the PE beams that come with OHD openers to operate as a safety. My guess is you're having beam scatter or the ambient is overpowering.

Been installing PE beams outside for 20 years and work on them on systems older than that. Use them as a virtual fence at dealerships and other areas. Also in large warehouses and other areas.
Downsized so only one double garage here. Actually I measured wrong originally for this beam sensor, so I have ordered a longer one, but not received it yet. When I get it I'm tempted to crack it open and "fix" that constantly clicking relay problem.  I've fixed it electronically with the ELK timer, but if the beam stays blocked, the constantly clicking relay is quite annoying. I'm sure it serves some purpose, but not mine.

As for using as a safety for the garage door, I haven't connected it to the garage doors beam sensor.  Rather since I have open, close and beam sensors connected to the Omni, and the Omni can control the opener as well, its easy to stop the door if the beam is broken but only while closing. It works well.

We can understand your problem. You can use cameras for the security and keep eye on it via mobile. if it alarm in case which will be notified you by alert. Hope it will help you out.
Regards

ano said:
Downsized so only one double garage here. Actually I measured wrong originally for this beam sensor, so I have ordered a longer one, but not received it yet. When I get it I'm tempted to crack it open and "fix" that constantly clicking relay problem.  I've fixed it electronically with the ELK timer, but if the beam stays blocked, the constantly clicking relay is quite annoying. I'm sure it serves some purpose, but not mine.

As for using as a safety for the garage door, I haven't connected it to the garage doors beam sensor.  Rather since I have open, close and beam sensors connected to the Omni, and the Omni can control the opener as well, its easy to stop the door if the beam is broken but only while closing. It works well.
Or do what the old timers used to do, install a capacitor across the zone circuit.  I can't comment about how you have it driven, I'd probably use a relay to break the control leg from the panel on a fault.

Guessing the IR is pulsed and not constant. Cheaper PE's do that.

Back