Back into system design after 14 years...

Hi guys,

I wanted to introduce myself and possibly get some feedback to my system reconfiguration. I’ve been reading a lot of the message threads as part of my research and I have to say the camaraderie among pros and DIY types is very refreshing. There are many people I am appreciative of but I have to mention DELinstallations as an unbelievable resource. I wish you had wired my house and should I build again, you would be my first choice!

I’m a 14 year Stargate user who used Stargate primarily for X10 lighting (have about 40 PCS switches – they were great back in the day). I had an old Napco Gemini 9600 security system that I stopped using years ago after having the fire dept. show up as I was getting home one too many times (fire was not even monitored). Crime seemed not much of a concern after that embarrassment.

Recently there has been a string of burglaries and not that far away even home robberies with people home. In addition, I’ve had 3 colleagues have burglaries while they were at work. It’s time to make security a priority. Just installed the 4 IP cameras/NVR that Costco has started selling – a pretty good starter system.

I’ve ordered a M1 Gold system from AO based on my research on this thread. It’s partially up and running with motion detectors and window contacts. I’m a bit disappointed in the programming capabilities (I’m comparing it with my Stargate). I was going to sell the SG but am keeping it for now anyway using it when advanced logic is required by feeding M1 outputs to SG and vice versa.

My goal is to expand the system to include Home Theater (Yamaha receiver fan) and also whole house audio (an old B&W Casa if anyone remembers that). Having some programming skills (although by no means an expert), I’m considering CQC to tie everything together. I would like to have an idea how well CQC works with hardware (such as my Yamaha) that lacks a driver – would have to use IR I suppose….arrgghh.

Anyway, appreciate any insight/ideas you guys have based on the above and thanks for reading.

Mark

Back