Basic CCTV questions

ktrdsl23

I am thinking about trying to incorporate some security cameras into my A/V rack. My home was wired with one RG59 + 1 cable for power (18/2?) to four external locations.

My first issue is that the RG59 and cable for power are both tied down at a ton of places and end near a rack space. That is fine for the RG59 (since a DVR would go in the rack) but could I also locate a Power Supply box in the rack? Most of the ones I found online seem to mount on a wall but I have no idea how I would get the 18/2 cables to a wall based on how many other cables are tied down with them.

My other issue is that I seem to really suck at terminating RG59. I have some spare RG6 which I was practicing on since I imagine the two would be similar. I'm constantly cutting through the copper and insulation on my lightest cuts. I'd be terrified to try doing it on cable that is going through walls since there is a low margin for error. Any recommendations on finding a person who could handle all of the terminations for me? I'd imagine there should be guys that work for a low voltage company (or used to) that would be willing to do some simple work for a few $$.

As to the hardware, I definitely want to start out cheap and it seems like Amazon has a few options for four cameras and a DVR for a very reasonable price. I'm sure the picture quality isn't anything special but the reviews are actually quite good. The sets come with individual power supplies for each camera but there wouldn't be a problem utilizing my existing cable for power (I think 18/2) right? I found this adapter (can't post links yet, remove the dots in the www)which should make that termination very easy.

w.w.w.easyadapters.com/products.php?cat=24&PHPSESSID=a0ee93380a8f39950f0039fc37c61200

Final question, if I do end up trying to get it set up myself, could I first just set up one camera to the DVR and leave the other three for later? One location by the front door is far more accessible (lower) and would be an easier place to test if everything is working.

Thanks for the help.

Yes. A power supply can be mounted in the rack. You'll just have to come up with a bracket to do so.

RG6 and RG59 are different size. Connectors and tools are not interchangeable.

Yes you can use individual power supplies. What I usually do is cut the pigtail lead off the power supply and use the connector end on the camera, and splice in the 18/2.

Yes you can use one to four cameras on a 4-camera DVR. Adding cameras one at a time is no problem.

I have no idea how you're trying to strip the RG cable, but if you use a stripper designed for it there will be a blade depth adjustment.

Why not buy a true rack mounted power supply?

Also, you need to adjust your stripper for 59 and not RG6

I just installed an Altronix 1u rack mount for 12v cameras.
Here is a link to an 8 output 12v

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=R615DC8ULCB

The unit has removable terminal strips in the back to make wiring a snap.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize you could buy a rack mounted power supply for CCTV. I'll look into this and see what makes the most sense. The wall mounts seems to be much cheaper but spending a little more to store it in the rack will be a whole lot easier.

I just installed an Altronix 1u rack mount for 12v cameras.
Here is a link to an 8 output 12v

http://www.altronix.com/index.php?pid=2&model_num=R615DC8ULCB

The unit has removable terminal strips in the back to make wiring a snap.

That appears to be a 2u rack mount. All of their 1u seems to be 24v. Did you find a different one that was 1u and 12v? Thanks.

--Edit--
I found the Vertiline 3D. Do you think it would work alright?

Does anybody know a good place to buy either of the above mentioned Altronix rack mounted power supplies? When I look at Google Shopping most of the places say both are back-ordered with little guarantee that they could fill the order. I guess I can place the order but if somebody knows of a better way to order one of these (or could recommend a different unit) I'd appreciate it.

I guess I can call Altronix directly but it doesn't look like they sell to customers. I just don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for something to come and then find out that it is discontinued and have to fight to get my money back.

Thanks.

Does anybody know a good place to buy either of the above mentioned Altronix rack mounted power supplies? When I look at Google Shopping most of the places say both are back-ordered with little guarantee that they could fill the order. I guess I can place the order but if somebody knows of a better way to order one of these (or could recommend a different unit) I'd appreciate it.

I guess I can call Altronix directly but it doesn't look like they sell to customers. I just don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for something to come and then find out that it is discontinued and have to fight to get my money back.

Thanks.

I would check with Worthington or ADI.

Thanks

I would also consider Preferred Power Products. They make a rack mount that has modules than can be selected to suit your voltage for more than one type of application.

http://www.pthree.com/products_sub.aspx?Category=Rack+Mount&Subcategory=&Page=1

I would check with Worthington or ADI.

Thanks

I tried searching but couldn't seem to find the websites for either of these. I found something for Worthington but I don't know if I have the correct site. I didn't see them selling any rackmount power supplies. Could you post the links to the stores you were referring to? Thanks.

I would also consider Preferred Power Products. They make a rack mount that has modules than can be selected to suit your voltage for more than one type of application.

http://www.pthree.com/products_sub.aspx?Category=Rack+Mount&Subcategory=&Page=1

Those look interesting. Any idea how much it all costs and where I could buy it from?

Automated Outlet sells PThree Power Supplies to retail customers. If they dont have the model you want call and ask them about ordering it for you. PThree is in the Chicago area and stocks there. Most other PThree distributors dont sell retail that I have seen.

I have terminated RG-59 with a box cutter and screw on F connectors which attach to F to RCA/BNC adapters. Yeah this is not perfect but we're talking composite video signals here it doesn't exactly require precision engineering. If you're a perfectionist then use the best tools and connectors.

Also I have been using a cheap $10 12V laptop power supply with wire nut connections for 4 cameras for several years now no problems.

Just depends how you like to do things.

Back