Best Cellular Connection Module for NetworX Panel

TaterTot

I have a NetworX NX-6V2 alarm panel and I am wanting to start getting it monitored through a reputable company.

I have no land line and I want to use a cellular connection. What are my options here?

I have read about some people using "Uplink" communicators (http://www.uplink.com/products.aspx), but I am not sure which one will work best with my panel.

I really like the "Uplink 4500EZ" because of the 4G capabilities and that I can get it for $128 (eBay).

Also, I am looking at both NextAlarm and Alarm.com --> is there a special cellular connection module that will work better with either one of these companies?

Any information/suggestions/opinions you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :pray:

2 days and no answer... :ph34r:

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can go to get some info? Another forum perhaps? :wacko:

You'd be looking at a 4530 at minimum. The 4500EZ only takes sampled bell and would be hobbling the reporting of the system.

You need a unit that does dialer capture and a single zone on the panel for supervision of the unit.

DELInstallations said:
You'd be looking at a 4530 at minimum. The 4500EZ only takes sampled bell and would be hobbling the reporting of the system.

You need a unit that does dialer capture and a single zone on the panel for supervision of the unit.

Thank for the info. I will see where I can find a 4530 for cheap ($165 is the cheapest so far).

Are the connections on the 4530 and the panel pretty compatible?

Is there another brand that most people use? Are there other options I am not considering?

You'll need a separate power supply and backup battery and then run the rj31x cord to it and a zone pair back to the main panel.

There's others, but it depends on if you're going 2G, 3G or 4G and what carrier/cellular provider your CS can have ported into them.

DELInstallations said:
You'll need a separate power supply and backup battery and then run the rj31x cord to it and a zone pair back to the main panel.

There's others, but it depends on if you're going 2G, 3G or 4G and what carrier/cellular provider your CS can have ported into them.

Can it not run off the power from the panel and therefore also use the same battery backup?

Also, what do you mean by "a zone pair back to the main panel" (sorry I am a real newb) :huh:

As of right now, I do not have a monitoring company picked out (do I need to decide that first?) and I want to get 4G because I have a strong 4G signal at my house and it seems to be the best option...

I called around to a couple of places today that do "monitoring"... I tried all day to get a hold of someone at NextAlarm, but I could never get an answer or a call back... :ph34r:

Anyway, one of the guys at Uplink said I needed to go with a 4550 unit because the NetworX panel would not supply enough current and the 4550 has its own power supply...

I guess that is why DEL mentioned a separate power supply in the previous post...

Also, apparently you cannot go though Alarm.com directly (has to be through one of their "dealers"). I did not realize that, so looks like my choices are AlarmRelay & NextAlarm (if they will ever call me back)...

You don't want to drive a cell off the panel in 95% of the installs out there. A cell's power draw is not linear or static. When it transmits, it can draw up to 2A for miliseconds. May or may not cause issues with your unit, but overall it's easier to install a secondary supply and battery to take over the load.

If you're going cell primary, the 4550 would work, however it's going to require additional configuration to disable the line supervision otherwise the trouble output/relay will always be tripped.

The purpose of tying the supervisiory output to a zone on the panel is to provide feedback to the end user if there are issues with the cell at the alarm keypad, otherwise you'd never know there was an issue with the unit itself.

Is the additional configuration something that I am going to need to do or is the monitoring company going to take care of it when they "take it over"? I know they can do some over the air programming, so I am not exactly sure what that entails.

If it is something I need to do, is there an instruction manual out there somewhere?

Also, what if I do not have an open/free zone?

Well I thought that the 4550 came with a power supply, but apparently it does not.... So I am not sure what the reason would be to choose the 4550 over the 4530?

Any input on this?

DELInstallations said:
You don't want to drive a cell off the panel in 95% of the installs out there. A cell's power draw is not linear or static. When it transmits, it can draw up to 2A for miliseconds.

The info on the 4530 says that it needs a 12V 600mA UPS, but does not give any other information. Anyone have any ideas on a recommended model or if the 4530 has a special connector (or just regular terminals)... A installation manual would be nice right about now...

I'd have to look at the dealer side, but I remember there being some specific FPN's in the white papers. 600 mA would be a nominal load anyways, then you'd need to factor in headroom on that value irregardless.As I said, I've installed plenty of cells from many manufacturers and the only units that can be powered from the panel have their own backup battery internal and then have current limiting settings within programming, and even with all of that, when they transmit you can watch the keypads dim.

The smallest power supply I know of is 1A DC, then with a battery sized appropriately....but a lot of the units I know of can take a brief surge in draw and still live. For example, Elk's P624 is rated at 1A continous but can push out 2.5A for a very short period, assuming the battery attached is large enough and fully charged. Some units can handle this, while others will either pop their fuse, kick a PTC out or let out the magic smoke.

DELInstallations said:
I'd have to look at the dealer side, but I remember there being some specific FPN's in the white papers. 600 mA would be a nominal load anyways, then you'd need to factor in headroom on that value irregardless.As I said, I've installed plenty of cells from many manufacturers and the only units that can be powered from the panel have their own backup battery internal and then have current limiting settings within programming, and even with all of that, when they transmit you can watch the keypads dim.

The smallest power supply I know of is 1A DC, then with a battery sized appropriately....but a lot of the units I know of can take a brief surge in draw and still live. For example, Elk's P624 is rated at 1A continous but can push out 2.5A for a very short period, assuming the battery attached is large enough and fully charged. Some units can handle this, while others will either pop their fuse, kick a PTC out or let out the magic smoke.

Since you suggested the 4530 in your previous post, can you also suggest a power supply and backup battery or a UPS (as Uplink recommends).

A link or place online where I can order this stuff would be great too...

I am wanting to get this stuff ordered very soon, so any additional help would be greatly appreciated... :pray:

An Elk 624, transformer, battery and enclosure would work.

That is the same as a UPS. I think you may be confusing UPS in the academic/PC world with what is used in the alarm industry.

Just to be clear. the Uplink website says the following...

For the 4530 - "Uninterrupted Class 2 Power Supply 12V DC/600 mA minimum required"

For the 4550 - "Use UL Listed 16V AC 45VA Transformer" & "Use UL Listed 12V DC, 1.4 AH Battery"

Why the different specifications between the two units? Why do they require a Transformer & Battery with one and a "Uninterrupted Power Supply" on the other.

I understand that the Elk transformer, regulator, and a battery is the same as a "UPS", but why do they list it differently on their site? What subtle difference am I missing here...

Does the 4550 have an "internal" regulator and therefore would not require the Elk 264? is that the difference?

The 4550 has a built in charger that'll support the battery size listed. That said, you could run the same method, with an external power supply.

The 4530 doesn't have that, so you essentially need to provide your own.

Back