Best Wire Labeling Approach

I used these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100PCS-Zip-Ties-Write-On-Ethernet-RJ45-RJ12-Wire-Power-Cable-Label-Mark-Tags-/271031574988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1abda1cc

They work very well. I used a label maker for the text making it 100% legible.

I never could get labels to stick directly to the wire. They would just fall off even in climate controlled rooms with no one touching them at all. The labels do stick to these plastic zip-tie labels. You can also use a sharpie and just write on them.

The only down side is the bulk of them and that they kind of catch on each other a little bit. Also you have to wait a little bit since they came from China. Maybe you can find a US seller. You sure can't beat the price though.

I have a Brother 1/2" label maker, and an Epson WL-400.

My first attempt at labeling involved the Ideal-brand cloth-like wire labels. They stick well, but offer no clues about route or purpose... at least, once you've lost the notebook that documented them.

Attempt 2: print 1/2" labels w/Brother, apply with short direction partly wrapped around cable. Complete disaster. They were falling off within hours.

Attempt 2a: same labels, applied in helix path around cable. Generally held up, but utterly impossible to read when you can only see 2-3 letters at a time... especially when you're trying to read "in-situ" without disconnecting or moving cables.

My third attempt used the Brother to make 'flag' type labels. ~70% of them survived less than a year. Most got torn off.

Attempt 4 came up with the idea of using 2-line mode to make labels wrapped around the "long way". Practical limit of 4 characters per line... an arrow (up or down) and a 3-digit number representing the original number printed on the far end of the cable (remaining the same, even if the cable were later shortened). Hard to read due to orientation, but fairly durable. Time-consuming to make and apply, because I had to trim one end so it wouldn't cover up the writing.

Later, my cartridge ran out, so I bought an Epson WL-400 for $24.95 on sale at CompUSA... mainly, because it can print rotated text on wrap-around labels. The labels from Round 4 were durable, but occasionally hard to read since the text wrapped around horizontally. Which brings us to Round 5.

The Epson labels are easier to read because the text is now left-right when the cable is horizontal, and I can print 4 lines of text (repeating the number pair twice, so I can see it without having to rotate and twist the cables), but there's a new problem -- the Epson labels don't stick worth a damn -- not even the ones alleged to be "super stick". The slightest *hint* of contact with skin destroys their adhesion. I'm also disappointed by the fact that using 3/4" labels doesn't seem to give you any more printable width (when rotated) than 1/2" does. You just get wider margins. Grrrr.

While I'm busy griping about the Epson printer, it also has more awkward special-character printing than the Brother did. With the Brother, the last special character you typed is the active selection if you hit the 'Sym' key. With the Epson, you have to drill down to its section, then select it, with the cursor keys, EVERY SINGLE TIME. I really wish these printers had a few programmable buttons (say, 2-4) that could be programmed for the characters/symbols YOU use a lot (in my case, the arrows).

If I could find a printer capable of wrap-type 3/4" labels with ~6 characters per rotated line, ideally able to repeat 2-4 lines once or twice, map printed arrows to hardkeys, with dedicated number keys and able to retract the label after cutting so I wouldn't have to trim one end, whose label glue could survive brief skin contact, I'd be delighted.

The Dymo nylon labels wrapped like a flag cannot be removed without a scissors. They don't fall off. But, again, not attractive.

miamicanes - wrap the Epson labels with clear heat shrink, to keep them from falling off

Heat shrink is the best solution I have found, but not always practical. And even my dymo labels are falling off if not wrapped or flagged. In my old house I use to wrap all my labels with clear packing tape.

In my line of work, this is what I use:

Printer

There are hundreds of different types of labels for these printers, including heat shrink, wrap around, outdoor rated vinyl, etc. Incidentally I've been using the Brady outdoor vinyl labels for my RF cable installations for the last 12 years, and outside of some fade, they are still holding up well!

Wire wrap-around label

The wrap around style label has a white portion that gets printed on and a clear section that wraps over the text portion. They stick very well, but if needed they can be sliced off with a razor knife and they don't leave much in the way of residue.

They definitely aren't cheap, but the labels last forever. I also use them in all my DIY work at home. They hold up really well to pulling and look very professional.

For DIY use, I've also just pulled the labels out of the cartridge and used a fine point sharpie instead of the printer, this would be a good way to avoid buying the printer...

I'm surprised more people don't just use the Rhino's WRAP TEXT feature - it lets you get about 12 letters or so on a line and repeats the line a whole bunch of times as it prints so that when you wrap it around the wire, it's visible from all around. The length of the tape is dependent on the thickness of the wire selected. With their cloth-like tape, they stick really well, are very visible, and seem to hold up well.

Honestly though, I'd rarely label a bunch of terminated wires (like Cat6 going to a punchdown) ; for those a simple sharpie works fine and once it's terminated and the labeling matches at both ends (jack number and punchdown position) you don't need a label on the wire any more.

I've developed a labelling scheme that wouldn't work well with a Sharpie.

The labels that wrap conventionally, with multiple rows of text, don't stay on well, if not heat shrink labels. I think the best solution for this problem is clear heat shrink, over those. If DIY, you have the time to do this. Not a good pro option.

As a DIYer, one has the luxury of time.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread -- it was very informative. I'm building out an Elk M1-G security / HA system and was trying to use a fine point Sharpie to write on 22 AWG jacketed security wire. That was an awful experience and my results are nearly illegible. Based on advice and consensus here, I just bought a Dymo Rhino 5200 plus four sizes of heat shrink tubing for this job. I've got 27 sensors, four speakers, two siren/speakers and one keypad -- it may not be much labeling compared to some of the big houses and commercial jobs, but I'm always looking for ways to make things look more professional and easier to perform. I used hand-written tape on my comms panel about 12 years ago and figure I will redo that as well with decent labels. After this is done, there may be a used 5200 and left-over tape for sale!

I've been reading a lot of the posts here and really appreciate the help. After reading this thread I did some searching and found these label sheets. They have a white portion to print on and a clear portion to "self-laminate" with. They look similar to some linked in a prior post on the Dasco web site.

I already have a Brother TZ tape label printer and would not have ruled out getting a Dymo printer but I really did not want to manually type in 100+ labels into a handheld device when I already have them in a spreadsheet. I just ordered some of these today and I start my full house remodel, like new construction, wiring project in a week. Hopefully they work out well.

I guess I've been reading alot and haven't been posting, so no links yet...
cablelabelsheets

That should work well; FWIW, some of the dymos let you plug them into a computer as well or run sequential numbers, so you don't necessarily have to type all that much.

Resurrecting an old topic on labelers...

I need labels on cables that range from Coax (RG-58), Cat5e, and 22 multipair, plus some fiber bundles.  I also need to label patch panels (that change every now and then) on black anodized aluminum panels

I've read a bunch of threads and nothing really seems to stand out as being the best labeler from forum members, though the threads are older.  

So, my question is, has anyone found the 'Holy Grail' in cable labelers?  I've looked at Dymos's site and noticed the variety of label material that (I believe) wasn't available several years ago.  They seem to have applications that match my specifications, but I wanted to get an opinion from people using this recently in the field.

I was thinking about getting the Dymo 6000.

I would like to find something that prints out the label, then lets you wrap it with a protective clear 'leader', though I don't think something like that is available.  I don't want to go the clear shrink tubing route, or use anything requiring a heat gun as this technique will just not be used here.

Thanks for any input!

BSR

I have the Dymo 5200 and haven't found anything that I do that it doesn't do.

I do typically use the heat shrink labels for any new wiring that I've pulled. Having said that, I don't always use a heat gun and shrink it. The heat shrink does come in multiple sizes and sometimes can fit the cable very well without a heat gun being used. Sometimes I don't heat it because I have a feeling that I'll move/shorten the cable later and don't want to have to re-make a label and like to be able to just slide the label where I want it.

Having said that, I also use the Flexible Nylon or Vinyl materials as well. I've yet to have any of these begin to peel off and I don't use any sort of clear covering or other either. I typically use either of these if I'm labeling a wire that's already been terminated and am not able to use the heat shrink labels.

I use the nylon tape labels and a Dymo 4200. Two years in and no sign of the labels failing.

I've got a 5200, 3000 and a Brother equivalent. They all work for the application, but the 5200 is more heavy duty than the others.

I'm still more of a shrink person compared to the tapes.

Back