Beta test a free android app for WebControl

I upgraded my phone to marshmallow and I installed the web control, but it will not load.

CAI will the developer updated it to work with the new Android 6?

Hi Siafu,

We opened source on this android app, in a hope that community could use it to continue the development for this java based app.  I am sure that would be a simple recompile with the new version android lib.

Thank you CAI.

Yes I hope someone with Android programing knowledge can fix the app to work with marshmallow.

What about the developer of the app can't they fix it?

We hired contractor developed this app for open source purpose in a hope users going to like it and keep developing it.

I like the app very much, and I'm sure others do too.

I would do it, but I don't have the knowledge. I looked into how to edit an android up, and found information, but what changes does it need to make it compatible with marshmallow?

Perhaps the first step is to provide the link to the files, and maybe someone with experience can get this working for us?

You can find the source code at

http://www.cainetworks.com/support/download/WebControl20130410.zip

It was developed using free Eclipse development environment with Java tool kit from Sun Micro Systems.  Android library is also free download.
It is likely the change due to Android 6.0 changed library.  Since source code is totally in Java, it is likely simply re-linked with new Android 6.0 library will work.

Had no problems with existing apk when Android phone updated.  My son (junior CompEngr/Comp Sci major) recompiled with new libraries.  I am happy to provide if CAI can provide the download link as I believe uploaded attachments are not supported.  It is NOT backward compatible.  He has also developed a WC32 apk for me but its not ready for prime time yet.  Will share when ready

Hello Frank, that would be great, Hopefully Cai can provide the link you require to upload the APK.

Thank you looking forward to it, as I miss having it in my phone.

Thank you Smithfrank for emailing me the marshmallow version of webcontrol APK. 

I can confirm it is working, I had a little issue installing it as my avast virus on my phone flagged it as a dangerous program. Also it takes a while when you run the program get stuck on the white screen this is dier to not being able to connect to your webcontrol board, until you enter all the details then it's fine.

Thank you very much for having this ported to Marshmallow.

Hi Frank, Do you know how can I run two boards with the new APK that you sent me for marshmallow?  

I have two boards and not sure how I can control them both with the app, is it possible?

Also hope CAI can upload the new APK so others can benefit from it. Or maybe upload it to google play store, that would be ideal for all to access.

Sure.  It is great @smithfrank taking the steps to make update versions :nutz:
During installation, it does not have the WC login, so that Android showing a blank screen, once entered correct credential, that will not be a problem any more.

If you look the source code, you can see the original code has one instance data storage only. If anyone interested, he can modify the code, so that more than one data storage for multiple boards, additional board support could be added.  On android app, you can also modify it to even have different feel and looking, so that app can be user friendly based on purpose. 

Here is Frank Smith compiled WC8 Android app for Marshmallow version only.  He tested the original version working fine with Marshmallow in most cases.  But some users having problem with that.

http://www.cainetworks.com/support/download/WebControl(Marshmallow).zip

Frank is working on the Android app for WC32....stay tuned.

Back