Broconne's Wiring Adventure

Keep in mind that a current sensor is only going to let you know if the current draw is over the set amount. It isn't a power measuring device like the Brultech. It's either going to be reading the device as on or off. Due to this fact, you would probably be OK just monitoring 1 leg of the oven because it will probably be enough to let you know if it is on or off.

It is a double oven.. I wonder if it is 1 leg per oven...

There is no plug for the oven - it is to be wired directly into a junction box from a piece of 48 inch conduit that comes with the oven

The electrician should use a 4x4 box or preferably a 4 11/16 x 4 11/16 to hook up your range. The CT should fit fine in either one of those boxes. You will have to find out which phase you want to monitor as one will be used to run the clock, timer etc and both phases are used for the elements.

It is a double oven.. I wonder if it is 1 leg per oven...

The reason for two phases is the higher voltage 240 vs 120 gives you less amperage for a given wattage which means smaller wire.

First post in a really really long time.

All moved in and starting to wire things.

Speaking of which, time to discuss and document my enclosure setups.

I am thinking of going with 7 cans.
1) Phone
2) TV
3) HAI
4) ALC/OnQ
5) Whole home audio
6) Network
7) Misc

I probably owe this forum some pictures, including the required wire bundles in the basement.. I will get to that soon.

Phone Enclosure
-------------------

Contents)
VOIP adapter
AT&T Micro-Cell
OnQ Telecom Dist Module
OnQ Telecom Extender
OnQ power strip

I will put these into a 20" can as a 14 inch can might be slightly too small since the microcell is 9 inches tall.

Can anyone think of anything else I need in my phone enclosure? Anything you guys have phone wise that I left out?

I just installed a C3 from HAI. This is a really valuable product and gives you a little peace of mind that lets you know if someone really tried to cut your cable and telephone line then you still have a "life line" to the real world and help! It is a pretty good sized box so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Neil

I just installed a C3 from HAI. This is a really valuable product and gives you a little peace of mind that lets you know if someone really tried to cut your cable and telephone line then you still have a "life line" to the real world and help! It is a pretty good sized box so keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Neil

Do you just have a pre-paid account?

I don't think this would fit in the telco box I have planned out. Also, this box was going to be OnQ/Legrand since that is the modules I already have for phone. As such the C3 probably wouldn't line up pin wise with the enclosure. However, I will leave room for this in the HAI box.

Good idea.

I tired the pre-paid account and there was a snafu with ATT go phone. Basically they tie the SIM to the phone so you can't move it for 90 days or something stupid like that. Anyway I have a family talk plan with ATT so for an additional $10 a month I got a SIM only and added it and I can use all the same minutes. I have something crazy like 5000 roll over minutes and the other nice feature is I can press * when I pick up the home phone and dial directly out of the C3 to my wife or anyone else who has ATT and it is mobile to mobile minutes. The C3 isn't made for can mounting. I ended up buying the generic mounting brackets and double back taping it to them. I use leviton cans.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Neil

And the box is BIG. I didn't realize how big it is but it isn't nearly as small as it looks in all the flyers and other propaganda

I placed my order for the my whole home audio enclosure yesterday. I will post pictures once it is all wired.

I left room in the enclosure for 24 zones of audio (most I would ever have). I have 12 zones wired currently and will probably have 15 when the basement is finished. So, I am going to wire right now for just 12 zones of audio and will expand the box as needed. I will be going with a NuVo GC system unless CES changes things. I am waiting to buy the NuVo system until the new music server comes out so I can compare it to the music port functionality.

Here is what I ordered:

Enclosure 14" with Door:
Enclosure
Door

Cat5 for Control Pads:
CAT5 Patch Module
I got two of these off ebay for a total of $10.00 and $7 shipping. Hopefully they work.

Speaker Terminal Connections:
I ordered two of these. Multimedia Bracket
Four of these go into two multimedia brackets. QuickPort Plate
Finally, 12 of these (6 red stripe, 6 black stripe) will snap into the above brackets: Binding Post

I will post pictures once everything shows up and I install it.

Phone Enclosure
-------------------

Contents)
VOIP adapter
AT&T Micro-Cell
OnQ Telecom Dist Module
OnQ Telecom Extender
OnQ power strip

I will put these into a 20" can as a 14 inch can might be slightly too small since the microcell is 9 inches tall.

Can anyone think of anything else I need in my phone enclosure? Anything you guys have phone wise that I left out?

I placed this order today.
I went with a 20" can: 20" enclosure
I already had the telecom dist module and extender from ebay.
I also purchased a power strip module
And a full length shelf for the vonage adapter and micro-cell.

Back