Broconne's Wiring Adventure

I've read that the plungers are better for door contacts, compared to magnetic, though I'm not sure why.

I won't believe it until someone can explain why.

My door plungers have started to fail - 14 years old. They stick - I've replaced several.

I used plunger type contacts on my doors, but have read here that magnetic are better and I always wonder if I made a mistake of using this type.. :)

I have heard exactly what Neuorad said they tend to stick....

Actually I'm not sure why someone would use a plunger style. They do tend to stick. I guess they might be harder to circumvent (a magnet sensor can be defeated pretty easily). But that is why a layered security approach is recommended. Besides, if someone really wants in your house, they are going to break in regardless of the level of security.

We have in our current home the recessed magnetic switches in our doors and windows. They are the Radio Shack version I believe 1/4" in dia. they have been there 15+ years and still work fine. I have read somewhere someone was using very small(but powerful) earth magnets with those switches so they didn't have to drill into the glass section of the window frames to install the magnet part due to warranty issues, they just attached them with an adhesive or epoxy.

Lets talk more sensors here! See if we can get a good discussion on the pros/cons of various sensors.

What is everyone's favorite Heat(135, and 200) sensor, Gas Detector (Natural Gas) and CO detector?

For the CO detector, looking for one that can hook up to HAI/Elk and have its own alarm.

I received my first batch of ALC/OnQ switches a few days ago and finally got around to installing one of them in the apartment. Figured I would give some initial feedback and thoughts.

Pros:
(1) The switch has worked every time and so has the aux switch. I don't have it hooked up to a controller yet, so can't report on that.

Cons:
(1) The Dimmer switch doesn't have a great feel to it - when you press it it almost feels like the plastic is rubbing against the housing.
(2) The scene switch is just not attractive and the "gold" labels it comes with are very 80s. The scene switch is in serious need of a redesign.
(3) Double tap to fade off is really annoying, single tap should fade off and the fade rate should be faster.

Before I sold my old house I had put in a number of leviton switches with LED bars, etc.. Those looked and operated better. However, I guess you need to make some concessions for control.

I think it might also be a case of "first love", too. For instance, I have few complaints about all of my ALC dimmers, but they're also the first ones I've ever had. Leviton's were your first (or most recent), so it might just be a case of having to re-adjust to a new style? I dunno...

It WOULD be nice if the ALC allowed for more configurability, such as what double tap off does and dim rate. Obviously, through CQC, you can control dim rate, but not when the switch is pressed.

As for the discussion on window, door sensors, I used all the same recessed magnetic ones for doors and for windows. They've all worked great so far, but I think for window contacts, that is more an issue of what you can fit/hide/drill into your windows. It was tricky finding a place to put the magnet in these andersen windows (see my thread somewhere in here about windows).

I think it might also be a case of "first love", too. For instance, I have few complaints about all of my ALC dimmers, but they're also the first ones I've ever had. Leviton's were your first (or most recent), so it might just be a case of having to re-adjust to a new style? I dunno...

It WOULD be nice if the ALC allowed for more configurability, such as what double tap off does and dim rate. Obviously, through CQC, you can control dim rate, but not when the switch is pressed.

As for the discussion on window, door sensors, I used all the same recessed magnetic ones for doors and for windows. They've all worked great so far, but I think for window contacts, that is more an issue of what you can fit/hide/drill into your windows. It was tricky finding a place to put the magnet in these andersen windows (see my thread somewhere in here about windows).

Could be first love. However, in terms of attractivness my second love (ALC) isn't quite up with the first :)

Thanks for the info on window sensors. Do you know which brand you used?

Also - Any input on CO/Heat and Natural Gas detectors?

Could be first love. However, in terms of attractivness my second love (ALC) isn't quite up with the first :)

Thanks for the info on window sensors. Do you know which brand you used?

Also - Any input on CO/Heat and Natural Gas detectors?

Well, I will grant ya the attractiveness arguement. Even with my ALC, I've been tempted to pull up a Leviton page late at night when the wife is asleep and....well, you get the idea.

I got these contacts, mainly because they were small, and MOST of all, they had the terminals in the sensor itself, so no pigtails to have to connect and then leave inside the wall. I've had to replace one sensor already because it wormed itself out of its hole and then got crushed by the window...so pulling it out of the hole, unscrewing the wires, and then screwing on a new one was very simple.

I used these for doors too. Just ran the wire to the top of the frame, and then drilled a hole in the top of the door for the magnet. works great, ALTHOUGH...you CAN open the door and leave it just slightly ajar and it won't sense, because of the very small lateral displacement you can move the magnet before the sensor trips. You could compensate for that by adjusting the alignment of the magnet and sensor...but I'm not worrying about it at this point.

No CO sensors yet, but I should. No propane detector, but I should. for heat detectors, I just bought the 135 and 195 versions that were available at setnetpro.com. I've not no problems with them, but *shrug* they don't do a whole lot.

Time is getting tight!
They will start framing tomorrow, but I will be doing the LV walk through next Thursday as I leave on Friday for a 17 day business trip.

On to water sensors :)

Anyone have experience with this? George Risk

As always, looking for pros/cons and other suggestions!

Time is getting tight!
They will start framing tomorrow, but I will be doing the LV walk through next Thursday as I leave on Friday for a 17 day business trip.

On to water sensors :)

Anyone have experience with this? George Risk

As always, looking for pros/cons and other suggestions!

GRI makes quality products in my opinion. I use the 2800's most of the time but I have used the 2600 with no problems.

Searched the web and cocoontech high and low - and still can't seem to find any information.

Does anyone know of a brand and source for natural gas sensors that may be connected to an elk or hai?

One of the few remaining pieces of my puzzle!

Back