Brultech ECM-1240 help needed

Ira

Installed the ECM-1240 today, along with the IA and EtherBee configurator software. I'm using the wireless communication method. Went thru the EtherBee configurator with no problems. It found the device. I assigned it a static IP address, provided my PC's IP address as the serve IP address, used ports 5000 and 8083, set the operation mode to client, and saved everything.

Started up the IA. Set the communication mode to TCP/IP server, made sure the port was 8083, and clicked Connect. Port number turned yellow. Did the "F1 thing" on the ECM-1240 and it seemed to work. Checked the IA and the port number box was green and IA said "connected to ECM-1240".

Following the instructions for "Setting the Destination Node", I then went to XBee commands and clicked on +++. Got the "OK" response and quickly clicked on ATDNE3. That's where I hit a brick wall. It always waits for about five seconds then comes back as "ERROR". If I ignore that step and move on to the ECM-1240 setup, the "Read Settings" command always times out.

I upgrated the EtherBee firmware but that didn't help. During all of this, the IA continues to say "connected to ECM-1240" and the port text box stays green. I assume it is communicating with the ECM-1240 due to that and the fact that I get an "OK" response to the +++ command...right?

The ECM-1240 is about 120 feet (thru a metal garage door, and one exterior wall of my home) from the EtherBee. Maybe the distance is to great? Anything else I should try before disconnecting the ECM-1240 from my load center and setting it next to the EtherBee?

Does Brultech have tech support by phone during normal business hours, or is it strictly email support?

Thanks,
Ira

Update...

I emailed Brultech Tech Support late last night and explained the problem. Paul called me this morning to discuss. As I kind of expected, the problem was caused by the ECM-1240 being too far away from the EtherBee server. What had confused me were the "Connected to ECM-1240" message and the "OK" response to the +++ command. According to Paul, the "connected" message really means that you are connected to the EtherBee, not the ECM-1240. The +++ command response is also coming from the EtherBee, not the ECM-1240.

I disconnected the ECM-1240 from my load center in my shop and brought it to my house. I tested it at a distance of about twenty feet thru three interior walls and it works fine.

Thanks go out to Paul for the quick response.

Ira

Back