Can't connect Elk-M1G to M1XEP

mattw

Hello all, I'm trying to connect a new Elk-M1G system to the M1XEP, using the ethernet port.  I've poured over the manuals
and forum posts, but haven't been able to solve my problem.  I believe I have all the correct info
plugged into the account details page (serial number, non-secure port, IP address, default RP access code),
and I can "Find" the M1XEP just fine.  Also, I can ping the IP address just fine.  And the baud rate is 115,200.

Here's the specific error that has me confused.
I click Connection--Network, and I get a box that says  "Please Wait:  Connected: Verifying System Identity".
Then a Communication Error:  "System Did Not Respond: Connection May Have Been Terminated".
Then a final Communication Error:  "System Returned Invalid Information"

Oh, and I appear to have correctly "set the address" of the keypad and "enrolled".

I have NOT tried to connect via the serial port, as the Elk control is 100 feet away from my home computer.

I really appreciate any help, but I am a network noob.  Dumbing it down cannot be overstated.

Matt

You have a bad connection in the serial cable between the ELK M1G and the ELK M1XEP.  Replace the cable or troubleshoot to find the faulty connection.

Thanks for your reply JP, and that certainly makes sense.  So it seems that my actual connection
parameters (serial number, port, IP address) are likely correct?  and the issue is the connection
between the M1G and M1XEP.  I'll see what I can do.

mattw said:
I believe I have all the correct info plugged into the account details page (serial number, non-secure port, IP address, default RP access code),

I hope you meant secure port (usually 2601).

Well, the directions specifically say to use the non-secure port for the LAN, although the
port listed using ElkRP M1XEP Setup is indeed the 2601.  I have tried using the 2601 port
with the Enable Non-secure Port checked and unchecked.  When trying to use the secure
port setting, I get an error message "Failed to connect to server", which is, I assume, due
to the lack of any port-forwarding I have set up.
This is all a somewhat moot point though, since I used the M1XEP Diagnostic Utility and rebooted
the M1XEP.  Now it gives an IP address of 239.239.239.239.  Not sure how to change that.

The non-secure port defaults to 2101 I believe; try connecting to that with RP.  If you're connecting to a secure port with a non-secure protocol it's not likely to work.

You can get the XEP to get an address via DHCP, or you can figure out it's IP and put your computer on the same subnet long enough to access it and change the IP.

Port Forwarding is irrelevant when you're on the same subnet.  When trying to access the M1, always get things worked out on your local subnet - then once that's worked out, you can branch out and try getting access outside the LAN via port forwarding, DDNS, etc.

You do have to enable the non-secure port 2101 for the M1XEP to connect to the ELK.

You want to recheck you RP Access code which has to be set in the ELK.  Also triple check the serial number to make sure what you have in RP agrees with the actual serial number.

Beyond, that, check the cable for problems, inspect connector pins for damage, etc.

foxtail22 said:
You do have to enable the non-secure port 2101 for the M1XEP to connect to the ELK.

Allowed, but not necessary.  Works fine with only the secure port enabled.

I have not gone back to figure out why but when I upgraded to IE10, I could no longer get in using port 2601.  I read the manual and it does day you need the non secure port enabled but I did not in the past.  I have my ports forwarded in my router.  Some of my other software that stopped working with IE10 worked when I selected "compatibility mode" in IE10.  I have not tried that on the ELK because at the time, I had bigger issues to work in.  Also, it might be different if you have the ISY connected.  I just have not taken the time to go back to look at it.

Back