Carrier Infinity

Why even bother with a thermostat? I mean I don't get it these are seriously stupid devices that have a decent cost to them.

IVB,

How did you make it so that M1 and CQC can control the HVAC? Or is it one at a time and you need to switch the serial cable from one to the other, or perhpas you're really slick and have a A/B switch box for this which is in turn controller by the elk? :)

I'm looking into ALC control which i want to try both via ELK and CQC. Right now Beelzerob is still developing a CQC driver for it so as far as i know the only to control ALC from CQC is to hook the ALC to the Elk and then have CQC talk to the Elk. Hopefully this actually works since it's kind of the cornerstone of my plan. :)

FWIW, i took out my Carrier thermo, and put in an Aprilaire to control my carrier infinity. That means either the M1 or CQC can control the HVAC.

And if I hadn't screwed up the wiring when I moved the thermo, I might still be able to control it :)

Not sure about the specifics of a Carrier heat pump, but most of the automated thermostat manufacturers sell versions that work with heat pumps.
That's correct. And Carrier has two lines that work with them. It is just their highest end unit, Infinity, which has a special connection that requires their thermostat. For example, HAI has a thermstat that works just about every heat pump but not Inifinity. I confirmed this at CEDIA. So one has to use the serial port and communicate with it that way. It is not a big loss except that one has to write a driver as only Crestron and AMX exists at this point.

Hmm,
Looking at the Infinty install manual, it shows a wiring diagram for a Universal Thermostat with a Four Wire Connection. It also shows the wiring diagram for Funace or FE Fan Coil w/1 Stage AC, a diagram for a FE Fan Coil with a non-communicating 1 Stage Heat Pump. It also states that this system uses 24VAC to the thermostat. Upon reading further, it looks like any communicating, or non communicationg control can be used as long as it is 24VAC.

IVB,

How did you make it so that M1 and CQC can control the HVAC? Or is it one at a time and you need to switch the serial cable from one to the other, or perhpas you're really slick and have a A/B switch box for this which is in turn controller by the elk? :)
Only one at a time, but my goal was to get the Elk to have primary control, then CQC can control the Elk which controls the HVAC so that way it's "both" kinda sorta.

Assuming, of course, i ever get off my duff and re-run another LV wire to it.

A sad update on this. I just asked how much it costs to install the System Access Module for Inifity and guess how much they want for it. A cool $1,500 plus tax! That is just insane. There is no way one can save enough energy to ever have a payback this way.

This was on the crazy first gen unit with the skytell pager modem in there. I am asking how much the Ethernet option costs. IVB, I hope you are right about Aprilair. I am going to fire them an email to see what they say.

This is on top of the reports that the current serial protocol is a pain to use.

I have the carrier infinity system with three zone and I want to hook it up to my automation software, I was also told I need SYSTXCCSAMCAT501 module, but I can't seems to buy this module anywhere, I called the local carrier guys and they were not able to get one for me. Where can buy this module.

I have the carrier infinity system with three zone and I want to hook it up to my automation software, I was also told I need SYSTXCCSAMCAT501 module, but I can't seems to buy this module anywhere, I called the local carrier guys and they were not able to get one for me. Where can buy this module.
Well, you can't find that part because it has been renamed to SYSTXCCRCT01. Actually, there is another version which seems to be for zone control: SYSTXCCUIZ01--B . But don't expect to find anything on Carrier site. Whoever is in charge of these products from planning to production, doesn't seem to understand what it takes to sell them. I mean how hard can it be to list the darn thing on their web site?

Anyway, if you search for above, you get this useful link: http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/group.../ccrct-01pd.pdf

I understand the product is not yet available even though it was supposed to have shipped a while ago. It has an Ethernet port plus serial interface. I have not seen a spec on Internet port so we are stuck using the serial at this point for automation.

Adding on, my HVAC guy can source the part I mentioned (he is also the one that got me the new part #).

Back