[CES] 2006 Exclusive Update

The F5 and F6 keys are at the upper left side of the numeric keypad. The labels for the F keys automatically load from the M1 as well as all the names of zones, tasks, outputs, lights.

The keypad can be power via Power Over Ethernet (POE) or from a 12 volt power source which may be the M1 with its backup batteries. The M1XEP Ethernet Interface and Router will need to be power from the battery backedup power source also. You can also run off a UPS.

I think you guys are confusing each other.

The Fkey question was about KP2. KP2 doesn't seem to have all 6 Fkeys.

The power question was about the TS. How much power will the TS draw?

The backlight on the Touchscreen is the main current draw. It has a programmable dim level so the current draw is adjustable. Full On is less than an amp.

Sorry about the confusion on the KP2. It only has f1 to f4 keys unless we devise a way to get the other two.

Spanky said:
The backlight on the Touchscreen is the main current draw. It has a programmable dim level so the current draw is adjustable. Full On is less than an amp.

Sorry about the confusion on the KP2. It only has f1 to f4 keys unless we devise a way to get the other two.
PoE is an excellent solution for this. Somewhere, (I can't remember if it was in another thread on CT, or if it was on CQC site) there was a comment that the Elk TS may support the CQC .NET viewer software. Is that true, or will it only run the Elk enet panel software?

If the price is right, I think Elk will have a real winner here.

EDIT - Looks like I got my answer on CQC software, etc in a thread on HS

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=109972

David,

A few additional questions on the touch screens.

1. What version of CE does it ship with, 4 or 5? Hopefully it will support CE 5.0 and Compact Framework 2 which would be ideal for CQC.

2. What technology is the panel, resistive (4 or 5 wire) or Surface wave? In other words, does it have a film over it or is it solid glass?

Thanks!

It uses Windows CE 5, Compact Framework 2 on the Touchscreen. It uses a resistive overlay touch panel.

We welcome any Windows CE .net software to work on the Touchscreen. Windows CE .net is a subset of the PC version .net. We have found that you have to tweak the PC .net to make it work on a CE device.

This Touchscreen is not intended to run just Elk software. We want to open it up to run anyones software that can support the operating system. I especially want to see whole house audio support software.

Spanky said:
It only has f1 to f4 keys unless we devise a way to get the other two.
You only have space for 4 Function keys. What about converting the first one into a Shift button. Then the remaining keys would be F1, F2 and F3 in their normal state and F4, F5, and F6 in their Shifted state.

I agree the shifted F1,2 and 3 is elegant and simple but there is 1 problem with that. The buttons are illuminated and controllable by RP. I like to have 1, 2 and 3 for Police, Fire and Medical panic type buttons. If you have additional buttons like 4, 5,6 you can use them for things like garage door. My setup was (well still is until fully transitioned to TS) that F6 opened/closed the garage door and it blinks when door is open. I guess my point is, if it is shifted, how will the illumination work for shared buttons? On the simple side could the underlying LED or bulb be changed to a multicolor and use 1 color for 1,2,3 and the other for 4,5,6?

Now if real hardware changes were to be made, these would be my suggestions (the pic above shrunk so its hard to see detail now):

1. Change the Ready and Arm light to small LEDs and move them someplace else, like up or to the side of the LCD. Shift everything else up and add a second row of buttons, so now you would have 8. I know this would probably be a major change.

2. Put a small LED to the side or above each of the 4 there now to indicate a shift status. In other words if LED on F2 was on and F2 was illuminated, you would know if was really F4 illuminated. This should be somewhat simpler.

I'm sure however it turns out will work well.

Edit: Another idea

3. What if you just changed F1 to F4 to a vertical button, that would be taller but narrower. You would probably be able to fit all 6 comfortably then.

I think your last edit was the best idea.

Clearly defined, dedicated buttons (no shifting) is always the way to go with non-technical users who maybe using a control system under duress.

I've mentioned this to David once already but another nice improvement that could be made to the function keys would be to have a function key press trigger a timer (say, 5 seconds) whereby if you then press a digit key within that time interval on the keypad, you could trigger a rule with that. You could then group a bunch of lighting macros to F1 prefixed commands (ex. F1 + 1 = turn on kitchen lights, F1 +2 = something else). This would really multiply the possibilities...60 possible combinations with the 6 function keys and 10 digits.

Back