[CES] 2006 Exclusive Update

Clearly defined, dedicated buttons (no shifting) is always the way to go with non-technical users who maybe using a control system under duress.

Actually, I know some users who will ONLY use a control system under duress..... :)

I like the looks of the new keypad also. Of course, I've said I didn't like the looks of the original since the moment I saw it x years ago.

I have very mixed feelings about losing the two function keys. On one hand, whoopty-do, it's only a function key and can be replaced with any of the several good suggestions already mentioned.

On the other hand, having different keypads WILL create some problems. HAI used to have a large keypad (IIRC it was called the "universal" keypad), that had nickel sized buttons instead of the pencil erasor sized you normally get on alarm keypads. The older folks loved it, as it was large and easy to use, but cost significantly less than a touchscreen. However, it differed from the normal keypads as it had two additional "scene" buttons. Invariably whenever I had a mixed keypad installation, after explaining the keypad and all the buttons, I would get asked where the "scene" button was on the other keypads.

I am new to this forum and very impressed with the level of knowledge and experience here.

I am a new integrator and have been on the fence on who to support first between HAI and ELK but now with the touch screen and new keypad, I'll make the jump to ELK.

Posted by Spanky: Jan 7 2006, 03:14 PM
This Touchscreen is not intended to run just Elk software. We want to open it up to run anyones software that can support the operating system. I especially want to see whole house audio support software.

Whole House audio is the other major thing I would like to see integrated with ELK.

Keep up the innovation!

I was thinking last night about the new KP2 and the lack of the F5 and F6 keys and it brought to mind, Are there any other differences between the KP and KP2 that we don't know about???

BraveSirRobbin:

Can tell me how big this is?

It also looks like they are just taking advantage of the web server to create the screen layout. I have asked them in the past if the design and or layout is customizable, and always got an answer of it will be. Did you inquire about the design (colors, logos, custom labels etc.) with this system?

Thanks!!

Barry

bago said:
BraveSirRobbin:

Can tell me how big this is?

It also looks like they are just taking advantage of the web server to create the screen layout. I have asked them in the past if the design and or layout is customizable, and always got an answer of it will be. Did you inquire about the design (colors, logos, custom labels etc.) with this system?

Thanks!!

Barry
I am not BSR but maybe this will help.

This touchscreen is 6.4" There are plans for a smaller model and a larger one - something in the area of 4" and 10".

The screens are of Elk's RM software. You can read about it and try it here. Since the screen is running CE it will also run things like Girder or the CQC clients so you could run whatever you wanted that is CE compatible and access the Elk.

Steve, any more info on the other models? Particularly the resolution and ETA of the 10"?

I can see a nice application for "electronic art", displaying family photos when the panel's not running RM and the extra size would make this a seller for that application.

Back