Close garage door reminder

elk0904

Hi,
I have an Elk m1gold system, and I am trying to write a rule so that if my garage door is open past say 9:00 pm,
the system will beep and notify/remind me that I need to close it before heading to bed, so it is not left open overnight,
which has happened in the past. I do not arm my system at night while home.
I wrote the following rule:
WHENEVER Overhead Garage (Zn 11) BECOMES NOT SECURE AND ANYTIME OF DAY LATER THEN 9:00PM
THEN START KEYPAD BEEPS IN Home (Area 1)
 So the rule works after the fact, meaning if I open the door it will start to beep. Obviously I need it to monitor
the garage door before hand.  Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

The way you have the rule written, the keypad will beep if the garage door is opened after 9:00 PM. Not what you want. The example drvn gives above will beep the keypad when the time becomes 9:00PM and the garage door is also open.

You need the rule trigger (WHENEVER) to be the time and the condition (AND) to be the door status, not the other way around.

I will note that the rule in my example will only execute once at 9pm. What I mean is that if it's closed at 9pm you won't get a message, but if it's opened at 9:01pm you won't get an alert... because the rule is written that 9pm is the trigger for the rule execution.

You could just forget the time and just send a message if its been open for more than a set time, say an hour.  That would prevent it from being open the whole day and you just noticing at 9pm at night.  Even better, add a motion detector in the garage and only say something if the door is open and no motion has occurred in an hour.

I simply have an F-key illuminate when ours is open, so it's easily recognizable from any keypad when it's open. The same F-key will close the garage door... so I don't have to go into the garage and press the GDO button there.

How about

whenever (every 30 minutes)
and the time is later than sunset
and the time is earlier than sunrise
and the garage door is open
THEN
make keypad beep

Mike.

mikefamig said:
How about

THEN
make keypad beep

Mike.

This won't work properly, because the Elk rules engine evaluates things on a midnight-to-midnight basis. "Later than sunset" means between sunset and midnight, while "earlier than sunrise" means between midnight and sunrise. The rule as written tries to span across two days, and thus there is no time that can meet both clauses.

Instead, you have to write it as two rules.

THEN
make keypad beep

THEN
make keypad beep

Many ways to accomplish the same thing; that is, notify when the G/D is left open. I have a text message sent to my phone if the door is open for more than 5 minutes while the system is armed.

Back