CO and Combustible Gas Detectors

Was he finally able to track down and shoot the offending sensor?

See folks!! Go hardwire or go home!
No, he called me to come fix his system because he had a false alarm. I changed all the batteries.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hundreds of System Sensor devices installed. I've yet to have a real issue with them. The key is proper installation methods to allow announcement of the EOL and supervision, as well as panel programming (CO ZT vs. Gas, which unfortunately, I've seen way too often) to avoid any errors at the CS by either an operator or automation software, so it comes hardcoded as a CO alarm.

I installed GE CO's before, and before GE bought the engineering design, Concord made their detectors, but before that, PAMA.

Based on my other interactions with Napco and System Sensor, honestly, I'd go SS first, since they make their own devices as well as have a functional test via canned CO.

For other detectors, Macuro is the go-to I've used. Power supervision depending on application, but I can't say I've had the installation issues described by others.

As said, CO no false just end of life issues and who gets called for alarms not supervision issues. Natural and LP false alarms yes, alot and actual detection of a real leak, zero. System sensor is what I prefer to use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just curious what sensors you went with for CO?

I installed 4 Macurco CM-S1's about 7 years ago., They are now end of life.  I am trying to decide whether to go with the new Macurco CM-E1 (which now has trouble contacts), or the GE 260CO or System Sensor CO1224T.  I went with the Macurco 7 years ago since it had the option to almost flush mount in a single gang box.  Not sure of the SS or GE support taht, or have to be surface mounted...   the Macurco CM-S1 started going into an alert mode (on chirp every 5 seconds or so).. not documented.   I am assuming it is saying it is end of life or has an issue.   GE looks like it has a 10 year sensor life compared to 6/7 for the other two.  Napco looks like it is surface only and round.

I'd love to hear what the OP went with... or what is the most reliable these days.

I am also surprised that the HAI Omni does not have a CO zone type... does everyone just set them up as gas?

Napco's sensors are built by a 3rd party.

Sensor life isn't a huge deal provided you go with one of the more popular units. Flush mount is going to be the killer overall. System Sensor units will fit on a single gang slightly better than the GE/Edwards units. Personally, I've stayed away from GE/whoever owns and controls them now, as they've really been disappearing from the industry as a whole. The size of GE vs. SS are pretty equivalent, but IMHO, I like SS slightly more in practice. Usually at EOL signalling it's time for new detectors anyways.

We've started migrating into SS I4 detectors where possible.

Back