Drvnbysounds Projects / Introduction

I tried to do some more research on my Z-Wave dimmer issue and found threads on other forums where other users have had similar experiences (e.g. http://board.homesee...ad.php?t=146683)

Currently, the dimmer that I have the most issue with is in our MBA. The dimmer is installed in a 2-gang box, where the switch for the bathroom fan also resides in the same box; both the dimmer and the fan are on the same circuit, as close together as possible in terms of the electrical circuit. I am going purchase one of the GE/Jasco Z-Wave switches and install it in place of the standard switch that is currently used for the fan and see if the problem still exists...

I also have Z-Wave dimmers installed in our MBR as well as our living room, where our ceiling fan also has the main room lights. Using standard home switches to control the fan's on/off function, neither of these dimmers are currently affected. I would really like to install Z-Wave switches to these fans as well, but based on the testing mentioned in the above linked thread, the GE/Jasco switch may actually create issues on these lights that are currently working fine with the standard home switches. <sigh>

For what it's worth, I have simply automated switches installed everywhere; on ceiling fans, on ventilation fans, in double-gang boxes with one for the fan, one for the light; I have them on CFL's, ballast fluorescents, LED's - and not a single issue anywhere. I use all the same switches - either 1140's or 240's - all of which are capable of dimming or being set to snap on/off. In fact, later today, if I remember, I might even install one on my whole house fan which would be the single biggest motor load I've done yet.

As a testament to Simply Automated switches, I have not experienced one single drawback or issue using these switches in a single one of the scenarios I've heard about other lighting technologies. And that's saying something considering I have close to 70 UPB devices now, some running close to 6 years.

Yeah, I actually REALLY like the HAI UPB dimmers and switches and honestly think they are exactly what I am looking for; I have looked at the SA switches as well. However, I need to maintain a Z-Wave network so that I can control my Kwikset locks. So I am on the fence to whether I want to maintain both technologies (added requirement of additional ELK modules for integration), or just push through with Z-Wave and see if I can find a solution to the dimmer issue I mentioned above. Not to discount the fact that I currently have about 10 Z-Wave devices (dimmers, lamp modules, and receptacles) already installed, and a few more that I haven't yet installed - so I'm already pretty invested there.

Note: Due to WAF, I really can't have a hodgepodge of various dimmers, switches and receptacles where there is a visual difference between the various devices.

Note: Due to WAF, I really can't have a hodgepodge of various dimmers, switches and receptacles where there is a visual difference between the various devices.
Precisely why my house is all SAI. The 5 or 6 manual switches I didn't replace yet annoy the hell out of me to use now!

So I ordered a Jasco Z-Wave relay switch (45609WB, Ver. 3.0d) for my MBA fan about a week ago, and got a chance to install it today. I wanted to provide some feedback...

1) It seems to have solved the problem I mentioned above (MBA lights on Jasco dimmer would randomly turn off when the MBA fan was turned on via standard switch). It seems that the Jasco switch has some sort of internal soft-start which I suppose is mitigating the problem. I attempted to turn the fan on/off MULTIPLE times to see if the lights would turn off... and couldn't reproduce the issue that I was having before. It seems that the problem has been solved.

2) I didn't care for the fact that the new switch had to have a neutral wired to it. I've never had to wire a neutral to a switch before, and don't understand why this is needed. Fortunately, the neutrals (line in as well as light and fan loads) are all in the double gang box. I had to add an additional pigtail to the wirenut that ties all of these together - not a big deal, but it was more work than replacing any other switch.

All of that said, I don't know of any other reason to add any other technology to my home and I might actually be sufficient with Z-Wave only. At one time I was thinking if I used UPB dimmers/switches that I would also get the UPB model of the Rain8Net for sprinkler control, but since it seems that I won't be going the UPB route, I would either need to wire the valves to my ELK directly, or get the serial model of the Rain8Net - either way not a show stopper...

For the time being, I've transitioned my efforts to the ELK installation. I took a pic of the progress as of about 2 wks ago:

elkinstall1.jpg

I'd love to be further along, but I just haven't been able to find much time to work on it... Since this picture was taken, I was able to get my primary KP2 and the SP12F installed and wired in. I also got a XSP, XEP, and M1XSLZW mounted in the can. Since doing so, I have realized that I am likely going to be purchasing a 3rd can, probably another 28" Leviton, for CCTV wiring - there simply isn't enough room left in either of the cans :(

Since the post above, I actually have the M1XEP, M1XSLZW, and a [currently unused] M1XSP installed. My Zwave network is up and running and being controlled via Elk as expected.

While I've seen a number of posts stating the use of the SP12F speakers with the KP2s, I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of them, so I took one during my install:

kp2sp12f.jpg

I installed 2 KP2s, and ran a SP12F at each keypad. I wired the interior siren to OUT2, as I didn't want it speaking the audible messages. I wanted to use the SP12Fs solely for this purpose. That said, I have them wired in parallel, to make a 16-ohm load on OUT1. With the default settings, it's right in the audible range of what I was looking for. If anything, it may be a bit louder than I was expecting, and I may adjust them down just a bit at some point... Just wanted to provide some feedback for anyone looking to do the same.

So, my wife is about 22 weeks pregnant with our first child... read as: automation budget is doomed! Being a general showcase thread, I've tried to dedicate this to any/all projects that I've done.

That said, this weekend we started the nursery transformation (should be obvious, but the top picture is the BEFORE shot):

nurserybeforeafter.jpg

I'm no painter or trim guy, but I have to pat myself (and my wife) on the back for getting this done in 3 days! Now I'm just trying to cling onto the 3rd bedroom (my office/project area), but it seems that my wife will be moving some of her stuff in soon enough... and so it begins!

Mucho congratulations to you and the misses!!!  Great work as usual...enjoy that free time now because soon....you will be taken over by the babyanator.  (Sorry, went to a Phineas and Ferb event this weekend with the kids.)  If you don't know what that is, you will soon enough along with Dora, Wonder Pets, Little Einsteins, and all the other new classics.  My kids are going on 10 (boy and girl twins) so they continue to keep us busy.  I think it's worth it though but ask me again when they reach their teenage years. 

I hope you are able to come on the forum periodically to share you knowledge but understand there will be more important responsibilities soon enough. Thanks for continuing to share so much information.

David

drvnbysound said:
So, my wife is about 22 weeks pregnant with our first child... read as: automation budget is doomed!
All is not lost my friend! You will soon learn how automation can help with a child as well; though, most of it will be in the future.

Your wife will love door and window announcements open/closed when at toddler age.

Also, remember to make it VERY easy to disable/enable voice announcements during nap times. Possibility disable phone ringers and doorbells and have lights blink during these times as well.

Have voice reminders for feeding times/medicines/etc...

Of course there is the baby monitor (video/audio), but I'm sure you have that one covered already. :)

You will be doing additional laundry, so maybe think about announcing when washer/dryer done if you aren't already doing so.

Congrats, and there is plenty of room for home automation and a baby (just don't try to build an automated diaper changer, low WAF) ;)

Have you considered posting this using your Blog format?  Blog posts already show up on the front page, plus I plan on hosting a sweepstakes event for showcase bloggers ;)

When I started the thread a few years ago I had some strange dislike for blogs... that really had no basis other than me knowing I wouldn't have much to write on a daily basis. Hindsight, I recently updated my own website and added a blog, which I use to display certain projects. That said, since I've posted such broad projects here I figured I'd just keep them together. However, I'd have no reason not to use a blog format to do so... Whatever you think, just let me know :)

The blog format makes it easier for people to find your stuff, and gives you more control over visibility, layout, etc.  I also plan on promoting this feature (and reward people for using this feature).  That said, I am not going to push anyone, but I personally think it will be easier to share.  The blog function is part of the forums (accessible via your user account control panel), so you aren't leaving the community, and new blog posts will show up under the "View New Content".  I guess blog really is a bad word in this context.

Yeah, I suppose I'll start it here as well. It will be interesting to see how this works out... meaning: I just checked the Blog section, and the last post was Dec 27th, and the latest one I see before that (from a different user) was Oct 15th. Honestly, I don't even visit the portal all that often. I'm certainly a creature of habit and I generally head straight for the forums (here as well as others that I frequently visit - at least once a day). I know that personally, I really never visit the blog section unless I am looking for something specific to a particular user which has only been a couple of times. I've actually visited the Gallery section more looking for installation pictures and I've come up short looking for things there a few times too (i.e. Elk installation showing SWGs being used).

Back