Elk M1 sending UDP to 24.176.94.177 every 30 seconds

Might be when downloading the new RP or XEP firmware that enables such, with a piece of bad coding if the OP didn't realize. Don't know enough about their installation to know.

Trey  I haven't done anything with M1 Cloud but maybe look under the RP Setup Menu option for M1 Cloud. But I never requested an M1 Cloud id.
Nevertheless, I think you have solved the puzzle.
But this begs the question of why my M1 is stuck sending the UDP packet.
So if i activated the broadcast somehow, how do i stop it?
And what if someone opens an M1 Cloud acct, will their XEP forever broadcast every thirty seconds even if they cancel the account?

On a positive note, since i can redirect the broadcast to another ip (by using my router), I could use this as my own M1 heartbeat monitor or IP monitor.
I'd need a remote computer to listen for the broadcast and if not received for a minute or two, then email me that my M1 is disconnected from the internet.....
Or sense a change in IP and notify me of the my new IP if so changed by my ISP...
Not something i'm going to implement at the moment, but could be useful to someone.

Nonetheless, my options are let the XEP do its thing and broadcast my serial number+mac address+ip 2,880 times a day, or i can block the broadcast, or i can redirect it....
None of which I think I should have to do!

I am soon to perform a 5th XEP update and just found this on the firmware page:

Q: How does it eliminate the need for port forwarding and Dynamic DNS (DDNS)?
A: An M1XEP running firmware version 2 connects at regular intervals to our partner’s Cloud Server. ....

I "hear" you drvnbysound!

I was going to read that page for my 5th time tomorrow, but you beat me to it.
What took you so long?

[SIZE=12.8000001907349px]Okay, so now we have proof, a confession, a witness, and an interested party.[/SIZE]

Here is the entire answer as posted that firmware page.
[SIZE=12.8000001907349px]Q: How does it eliminate the need for port forwarding and Dynamic DNS (DDNS)?[/SIZE]
A: An M1XEP running firmware version 2 connects at regular intervals to our partner’s Cloud Server.  This allows the server to connect back to the M1XEP without needing port forwarding or DDNS.  Both port forwarding and DDNS are required only for connections that originate from the outside (the Internet).  Both allow the in-bound connection to be routed to the M1XEP.  Because the M1XEP now initiates the connection, the return path is handled automatically be the router, eliminating the need for port forwarding and DDNS.

I could go on for an hour picking that answer apart. For example, you will still need port forwarding if you plan to remotely connect to your M1. 

So here's my take on this thing:

The 2.0 xep firmware upgrade does three things:
1 - gets rid of java/web access to m1.
2 - additional email support. 
3 - all else seems to be cloud oriented. 

So they hardwired the firmware to broadcast:

your ip
your xep's mac address
your m1's serial number
your xep's firmware version
and a few other numbers

to a specific ip address in a building next door to Elk Products, 2,880 times a day and the computer on that end has the ability to talk back to my m1 even if I don't have a cloud account?

I'm still finding this a little strange.... Are we all supposed to just accept what the cloud brings?

Thanks drvnbysound for pointing out the firmware info page.

Back