Elk Relay Question

chrishet

This may be a dumb question...I've been up all night working and I am tired...Is this statement true?

"When the ELK M1RB Relay is in the ON state current flows through the NO side of the relay, and when the Relay is in the OFF state current flows through the NC side of the relay."

I want to wire a relay to EITHER have a dimmer device in-line OR have the power go direct to the device.

TIA!

When you state this, do you need an "off" position or just the 'two' switched states in your post? Reason I ask this is a double throw relay can be used, but it will always be in "one" of those positions.

When you state this, do you need an "off" position or just the 'two' switched states in your post? Reason I ask this is a double throw relay can be used, but it will always be in "one" of those positions.

Thx for the reply BSR! No off position, just a selection of the two switched states, one always on. Can I use the ELM Form C relays to accomplish this? If not can you suggest a relay that would work? Maybe it would help for me to post my schematic.

EL%20Panel%20Schematic.jpg

The ELK Relays are SPDT correct? I am using the assumption that a single pole double throw relay switches a common pole to two other poles, flipping between them. Thx again!

Yes that is correct a "double throw" relay will "flip" the "C" common connection between the "NC" Normally Closed and "NO" Normally Open contacts.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the hardware in your schematic though. Can you explain a bit more on the hardware and the scenario you are using it in?

Thx for the support BSR. It's kind of difficult to explain but I sell automation systems for telescope observatories. My customers control their observatory/telescopes/camera systems using the Elk M1 Gold system and some custom SW that we wrote. The plan above is for a Light Box, which is used for taking neutral images for deep space astrophotography purposes, its called a Flat. Basically the lightbox uses an electroluminous panel that is driven off a 12 volt power supply and an inverter. The user needs to control the brightness of this box, remotely, thus the need to place in-line a dimmer control. The cap on the output side of the inverter also has a dimming effect of 50%. Once the user has manually set his dimmer he will have 4 brightness options using rules on the M1, Bright (full power), Half Bright (using the cap), Dimmed (dimmer controlled), and Half Dimmed (using the cap and the dimmer)

Hope this helps....I will post back and ya know how it works out!

Isn't there an easier way, using an analog 12V output and rules? Sorry, still learning this stuff.

Isn't there an easier way, using an analog 12V output and rules? Sorry, still learning this stuff.

I am somewhat limited to the parameters of the inverter and EL panel. Is there a way the M1 can control/supply a variable DC power source?, i.e. like it can for UPB dimmers?

Oh, and I should have mentioned that all the output relay switching will be controlled via tasks and rules...that's the easy part!

I am somewhat limited to the parameters of the inverter and EL panel. Is there a way the M1 can control/supply a variable DC power source?, i.e. like it can for UPB dimmers?

I think it depends on the supply. I sort of remember controlling a DC supply in my control days that had 0-10 volts as an input and woud ratio the output accordingly.

Also, I'm sure there are RS-232 controlled supplies as well. This might be more complex than you are willing to go.

Can you link to the units you have just for grins? You never know what people here will come up with! ;)

Back