*** Elk Rule in question for Water Alarm with ELK-9100

Mp333 said:
Mike,

I do not. Every thing that has to do with output 13 is in the attached pic. I just installed the 9100....

As a test, try deleting your rule that turns output 13 off when the system becomes disarmed.  Even though that rule shouldn't cause output 13 to be turned off when the water sensor triggers, I'm wondering if somehow it is causing the problem.

If you are getting the message on the keypad then that proves that the sensor is being sensed by the elk and that the rule is firing. Especially in the second case where you have three "then" clauses under the "whenever" water sensor clause.

Knowing that the rule has fired I would next put a volt meter on out13. If that shows 12 volts then I would next put an ohm meter on the relay that is controlled by out13. If the relay is switching then the problem is with the 9100 or the wires that attach it to the relay.

Can you do these tests and report the results back to us?

Mike.

EDIT

Never mind, I forgot that the system is controlling the 9100 when you arm away.

I would try defining the water sensor as a normal non-burglar zone and just test for that zone to be violated as opposed to defining as a water sensor.

Mike.

Change the conditional clause of the trip to a zone condition and see if that drives the output. I remember there being an issue for system cut on/off based rules.

Is there a reason why you have the "safe" condition with a relay turned on? I'd probably suggest switching it to be the other state to facilitate more of a fail safe approach.

DELInstallations said:
Is there a reason why you have the "safe" condition with a relay turned on? I'd probably suggest switching it to be the other state to facilitate more of a fail safe approach.
DEL - Not sure what you mean. The 9100 is looking for a short on the contact to shut off.

And if you wire the relay reversed, so power is required to allow the pump to function (relay energized) any component failure on the panel will shut the water off. Usually you'd want removal of power to cause any device to stop functioning, though in theory, the pump should be off with no power, same as the panel, I'd set up the system so that if the panel or relay failed, it would also shut off the pump, not a failure allowing the pump to continue running.

Basically, invert the relay. Wire it NC and your "home" rule forces it open. Your "away" rule would have the relay revert to it's normal state.

DEL - copy that. I will give that a try. I like that especially when it kills the power to 9100 due to m1g or relay failure.

DEL - I have tried what you suggested and still nothing. I also created individual rule when the water zone becomes non secured, it would activate output 13 and still nothing. Not sure what to make of this.... Running out off options..........

Attachments

• Zone.jpg
    Zone.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 17
Mp333

I would use ElkRP status screen to watch the zone voltages as you open and close each of the water sensors. to see if the sensor signal is getting to the M1. If you do see the voltage change with the state of the sensor then you have a problem with the rules and if you not see the voltage change with the change of sensor state then you have a wiring or sensor problem.

Mike.

Mike,

The water sensor works just fine. They give me a display on the keypad and also alert the CS. Just the water alarm rules are not working. The ARM AWAY mode shuts the power off to the well, just not the water alarm.

Mp333 said:
Mike,

The water sensor works just fine. They give me a display on the keypad and also alert the CS. Just the water alarm rules are not working. The ARM AWAY mode shuts the power off to the well, just not the water alarm.
Does the voltage n the status screen reflect the change of state for the zone?

Try adding an additional "then" to your rule that makes the keypad beep when the rule is triggered just to be sure that the rule really is being triggered.

If you hear the beep then put a VOM on the output when the rule triggers and the keypad beeps to see that the output is really switching. Then go to the relay and then finally to the device that is being controlled. In other words I would check each step of the process from one end to the other until I found the fault.

Mike.

Mike.

Yes the keypad does beep when the it's triggered and also shows up in the log as well, so its working the way its suppose to. I have checked each step and it does not work with the water alarm....

But I understood you to say that it does not work when you check the zone for being violated. If the M1 sees the zone as violated as evidenced by your log and your VOM shows that the output is being turned on then it should be a matter of tracing your wiring from that point. Is there something that I am missing?

Its the rule for water alarm that is not working. I am able to shut the well power off when i arm the house. So Electrically everything works except the water alarm rule.

Mp333 said:
Its the rule for water alarm that is not working. I am able to shut the well power off when i arm the house. So Electrically everything works except the water alarm rule.
What is the advantage of using the water alarm rule instead of just checking to see if the zone is violated? And if the water alarm rule beeps the keypad as you say then it is firing and not the problem. I don't think that I am understanding this correctly.

Mike.

Back