Email notifier board

Hi.  Sorry to weigh-in on this old topic, but I've wanted to get an Omni Notifier board for years, and one finally popped up on eBay that I got at a good price.

First, for everyone on this topic: you're right!  The HAI (Leviton) Notifier board is probably the worst implementation of an email client I have seen.  No [exposed] logs to see what errors the board has encountered.  No messages.  Instructions basically tell you to see if you got a test e-mail.  Really.

While I don't have the code or logs to trace, I can only assess anecdotally the root cause of the problems I encountered.  However, my solution was a behind-the-firewall SMTP relay that authenticates and sends to an external SMTP server with full encryption.

The notifier board is, at best, a dumb appliance.  SSL settings do not consistently work.  Leviton Cloud selection of the Omni board throws an error (although I did get an update directly from Leviton that addresses that issue after I'd applied the above-mentioned solution).  So, I punted.

Knowing the architecture was built for non-secure SMTP using port 25, here's what I did:

1.  I set-up an SMTP server (you could use a Raspberry Pi, if you wanted to) in my private network and configured it to answer on port 25 w/o SSL. 

2.  Using my firewall, set specific source/destination (another problem with the Omni Notifier board is it's DHCP -- you can't manually set the IP) based on reserving the DHCP IP address for the Notifier's MAC address.  The firewall allows port 25 between the Notifier and my SMTP server only on the private network.  And, it logs the traffic through a proxy.  I won't discuss the firewall I have (for obvious security reasons, but suffice it to say it's a "pro-sumer" style firewall).

3.  Configured the Notifier to send messages on port 25 to the SMTP IP, no SSL.

4.  The SMTP relays messages w/in 30s of send to the external, secure, SMTP server.

This works like a champ.  Regular, consistent, and trustworthy.

Hope this helps.  Although not an elegant solution, a sufficient wrapper for terribly old and badly-implemented technology.

You are lucky.  You got a board that is working.... same configuration does not always work depending on the random "reliability" of the board.  replacement boards were just as likely to fail - always hit or miss.

I could be lucky and got a board that's good; but my experience with electronics (and software) is it typically comes down to configuration (or the electronics just don't work). 

I'd be happy to buy boards from folks, if they want to sell them. 

So, if anyone's interested, just let me know.

Cheers!

You could be somewhat correct, however, replacement boards did sometimes work reliably in the same installations with no other changes or when a board was flaky, installers would often modify the network port to work with the board also, such as setting half duplex on some network switches, or limiting port speed, or whatever eventually got the board to work.

So could be that the board's outdated tech was simply incompatible with modern tech which probably falls between not working and configuration issues. Even daily reboots would sometimes "fix" the board temporarily so definitely that the electronics may not have worked due to firmware that was not as clean or good as it could have been.

Good idea buying spares too :) 

It has been a while since my email notifications were working so I thought I'd take a shot over the holiday to fix.  OPii running 4.0B, PC Access 3 ver 3.17.0.843.  I recently changed my network setup and have confirmed the notification board pings, it is using serial 4 which is set for email.  I am using a gmail setup (smtp.gmail.com, Port 465 with a known good user name and password).  The notification board is running version 2.0 .

Whenever  I hit test message, nothing.  It was working at one time but suddenly stopped.  I do not see any outgoing messages in my gmail sent box nor do I receive any texts or emails to the email accounts.

I do not see the expansion drop down in PC Access3, I set the email for serial port 4 via the keypad programming.  I don't ever remember seeing the expansion drop down in my PC3 program although it has been a while since I set it up.

Any thoughts as to what to look for or try next?  Thanks in advance.  David

dmgm3 said:
It has been a while since my email notifications were working so I thought I'd take a shot over the holiday to fix.  OPii running 4.0B, PC Access 3 ver 3.17.0.843.  I recently changed my network setup and have confirmed the notification board pings, it is using serial 4 which is set for email.  I am using a gmail setup (smtp.gmail.com, Port 465 with a known good user name and password).  The notification board is running version 2.0 .

Whenever  I hit test message, nothing.  It was working at one time but suddenly stopped.  I do not see any outgoing messages in my gmail sent box nor do I receive any texts or emails to the email accounts.

I do not see the expansion drop down in PC Access3, I set the email for serial port 4 via the keypad programming.  I don't ever remember seeing the expansion drop down in my PC3 program although it has been a while since I set it up.

Any thoughts as to what to look for or try next?  Thanks in advance.  David
Gmail has been a problem, because it requires a security protocol the OMNI board doesn't support. I think the extra security can be turned off, but Gmail doesn't like it.  

Buy your own domain name, and have them host your email. You get much more control over your email. I've had it for years with Hostgator, and its always worked. 

Leviton has moved the notifier server, so no old versions will be able to connect.

See the installation instructions: https:// www.leviton.com /en/docs/DI-000-20A30-00A.pdf  

See step 3.  And make sure to email Leviton to request a new version of PC Access if you want to use leviton cloud. Versions older than May 2020 are broken.

So I’m glad to see I’m not the only one struggling here. I have tried to use the Leviton cloud services. I can’t get anything to work. I have the newest pc access. Is there anyone out there with a step by step tutorial for either setting up your own email or using the Leviton cloud services?

Here still using STunnel and it works fine with Google mail.  You can install STunnel on any OS these days.  I run my instance of STunnel on one Ubuntu combo automation server.  Only thing is that the application has to run 24/7.

Using STunnel you just have to point your email board to the STunnel proxy or IP.

Back