Extending a 22/4 burglar alarm cable...

ccmichaelson

Despite my best efforts to place 22/4 burglar alarm wire appropriately, there are a couple of locations where the wire is too short (long story)...  The two wires that are too short will power motion sensors.

While I hate to splice wires in general, is it possible/acceptable (e.g. will it work) to splice another 22/4 cable to an existing run?

I have done that before.

Soldering and heat shrinking each wire; then heat shrinking the two cables together.

That said the cost of 22/4 and 22/2 is so reasonable (or you might have a bunch already left over) you might be able to just connect to the end of the run with new cable and pull it over to your location a section at a time.  I have done this too. 

I like to use a western union splice with solder and heat shrink. the result is a good strong neat splice and I am told that the windings in the splice will reduce rf inductance in the wire where you removed the insulator/shield so it is a good choice when spliceing a digital data line like the rs485.

Here is a link to a short youtube video and you'll find loads of illustrations and instructions it you google it.

Mike.

EDIT

the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gdNs1WiKls

Never knew it was called a "western union splice"... that's the only way I've soldered 12AWG or less in the past 10+ years.

Yeah here never heard of what I was doing referred to as a Western Union splice. 

Thank you Mike!

Here is a nice photo of a proper W-U splice. Notice the direction that each wire twists. This causes the splice to get tighter if it is tugged on.

Attachments

• splice.png
    splice.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 18
Pretty sure those wire windings should be tight/touching, for lineman's/WU splice.

I haven't done many, but I read up on this in detail, before attempting first. (Thanks to all here who pointed me in the right direction.)

For the 22/2, stagger the splices. Tin first, if stranded. Use a pliers to get tight windings. Heat shrink each splice, and then heat shrink everything. No bare conductor.

I suggest that if the splices will be accessible, e.g. in an attic, put the splices in a labelled junction box, so the next person can find it.

We're expanding a bedroom closet, bumping it into adjacent attic space, and I'll need to cut and extend 22/4. Nobody likes to do it, but sometimes you must.

a WU should be pretty tightly physically connected and butted tightly, with as little insulation exposed as possible.

NASA has a good workmanship doc out there on the web with good wiring details for multiple methods.

ano said:
I have used hundreds of these 3M low-voltage splices and never had a problem:
http://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Connectivity/Splice-Connectors/3M-UY

They are cheap, connect in seconds, and contain a sealant to prevent corrosion.

That is exactly the connector that caused me a lot of head ache. I used it on the rs-485 data bus and one of the splices had a poor connection that caused the elk to loose it's mind. The problem was intermittent and it took me months to find.

The connector may be fine for extending a pair of wires for a zone sensor but I have stopped using them for cat cable.

Mike.

EDIT

and yes it was single strand wire.

Mike, you probably used a UY when a UR probably should or would have been more appropriate. Guessing the IDC more or less was cutting through your conductor(s).

Back