fix severed outdoor Time Warner cable coax line?

NeverDie said:
It turns out the correct answer is: don't bother with a conduit.

TW ran a new line without even ringing the doorbell.

Yeah...

Prior to having my driveway extended I called and had my yard marked I pulled up all the cables (phone and coax) myself and put them into conduit. The guys who came out to build the forms and pour the concrete ended up pulling it up and moved it all out of the way. Doing so, some of the cable ended up getting partially torn; I then removed all the conduit and added a temporary coupler where the cable was torn. I had intended to call my provider (Comcast) as soon as the concrete had fully cured, but apparently my neighbor had scheduled to switch from a dish provider to Comcast around the same time. When the installer was out pulling a new cable for them, he pulled a new one for me too... the new cables sat above ground for about 2 weeks. One day I came home and it was buried... I guess they have someone else come back and bury them separate from the tech who pulls it and terminates.

It sounds like they probably all work that way.  In my case the burial guy came the next day (and didn't ring the doorbell either).

The good news, from my point of view, was very simple, which is that the new cable is orange colored.  All the previous ones were unmarked black.  That way if I'm digging around and run into a black coax, I'll know it isn't live and can remove it.  Over time there gets to be a spiderweb of these cables beneath the turf, from previous owners and churning providers.

NeverDie said:
It sounds like they probably all work that way.  In my case the burial guy came the next day (and didn't ring the doorbell either).

The good news, from my point of view, was very simple, which is that the new cable is orange colored.  All the previous ones were unmarked black.  That way if I'm digging around a run into a black coax, I'll know it isn't live and can remove it.  Over time there gets to be a spiderweb of these cables beneath the turf, from previous owners and churning providers.

Yup! That's precisely why I was looking to utilize the conduit - so if a new cable needed to be installed, they could use the conduit and not have to bury another cable - because I know they never remove the old ones - they just snip the ends at each box.

In my previous house they ran anew cable across my driveway and then cut it into the surface of my freshly paved driveway. I believe they just used a saw and stuffed it into the slot.

If you put conduit under your driveway you waste your time unless you dig each end of the pipe down and run the cable yourself. These utilities think they own your property and can do whatever they want.

With my current house I got the local installer to drop me a spool of cable and I ran my own through 200' of 4" conduit with the phone copper, something I was told they wouldn't do. This took a lot of bitching and chewing to get that spool of cable though. The phone answer people have no clue what is happening in the real world and only read the screen to you, repeatedly.

I also learned to sand pad any cable burials. when you dig them up and hit sand you stop with the machine and the hand digging is real easy without damaging the cables or pipes. Granular material is also necessary s that ground sinkage doesn't slice the cable off where it enters the pipe. It flows around the cable like  fluid.

LarrylLix said:
In my previous house they ran anew cable across my driveway and then cut it into the surface of my freshly paved driveway. I believe they just used a saw and stuffed it into the slot.

When TWC installs cable in our area, they use one of these tunnel boring machines to run the cable under roads, driveways and sidewalks.

They use the tunnel boring here also for major lines but never for residential singe runs when a simple sod machine will bury 100' of line in 15 minutes.

Back