garage opener bulbs keep coming loose

Same here on my GDO's.  Doing same for an older vehicle where the bulbs keep working but the socket base is flattening out.

Admittedly, it's better to be over-cautious than under-cautious.    By what method are you all unflattening the metal tab at the base of the socket?  Is just lifting it up enough, or do you have to bend it into an arch?

NeverDie said:
Admittedly, it's better to be over-cautious than under-cautious.    By what method are you all unflattening the metal tab at the base of the socket?  Is just lifting it up enough, or do you have to bend it into an arch?
Try to lift it up with a long nose tweezer ( I used a dental instrument with a good sharp knurl area) while you press the end back down with another tool.

The end (arch) being down will help stiffen the peak area.

LarrylLix said:
Try to lift it up with a long nose tweezer ( I used a dental instrument with a good sharp knurl area) while you press the end back down with another tool.

The end (arch) being down will help stiffen the peak area.
Good idea.   I have an inexpensive  assortment of prying tools to aid in de-soldering that look like they would serve the purpose you describe if just lifting it a tad with a paper clip turns out to be insufficient:

Attachments

• probes.jpg
    probes.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 7
NeverDie said:
Good idea.   I have an inexpensive  assortment of prying tools to aid in de-soldering that look like they would serve the purpose you describe if just lifting it a tad with a paper clip turns out to be insufficient:
I was thinking of a hemostat, like I used but the scaling tools would work too. LOL

Here I have a set of dental tools that I have used for this stuff; then went to the paper clip. 

Looking at the light bulb sockets on the old Liftmaster GDO and comparing them to the Chamberlan MyQ GDO they are identically made.  (well same company these days).

Unrelated here went to bright LED bulbs yesterday.  Much brighter, cooler, same size and resilient to vibrations.

Still was using incandescent bulbs for main garage lighting.  Switching these over to shop style LED lighting.

When I looked at the LED shop lighting a few years ago it was very expensive.

The ones I am looking at now are around 25 watts each and under $50 each such that I can turn my garage in to daylight easy enough.

A couple of years ago I got tired of messing with the OHD light and went the extra mile. I bought a Leviton occupancy sensor and installed it to control fluorescent ceiling lights and took the bulb from the door opener and threw it away. The light goes on if the door opens and if anyone enters the garage from teh house. It's way better than what Liftmaster is willing to do.

Mike.

I still use the motion sensor on the GDO control with LED bulbs as well as CFL bulbs with the wall MS for the other garage bay.

Trouble with CFL bulbs is the cold in the winter. They do come up to mostly full brightness after about 5 to 10 minutes.

Many years ago I had multiple florescent lighting in the old detached garage.  Next home did the same with the garage lighting adding a shop gas heater as I did tinker much back then in the garage.  Took a long time for the lighting to work in the cold winters.

I started to look at LED bright lighting for the garage about 10 years ago and never did see any which was not cost prohibitive.

Recently purchased two style of LED lighting which is reasonably priced and very bright. 

@Mike I like your idea on the Leviton motion sensor.  I have one outdoor PIR in the garage and it never did work really well.
(currently utilizing under drive sensors, second outdoor PIR and RFID tags to trigger lighting).

Might switch also to using the GDO door sensors / Garage door for one timed trigger in the future.

Current GDO opening trigger turns on all of the garage lighting plus the GDO lighting.  I did this as in the 1980's a possum went in to the garage and it took about a week to get him/her out.  That and it became mean when approached.  Thinking I just left the garage door open for a day and it left.

Here I have over the years enjoy (relax) working (tinkering) on the automobiles in the garage.  Also still prefer to wax my automobile about once a year.  The daylight look in the garage helps me with this stuff.

Recently purchased one of these and impressed with it although it is still a bit more expensive than dual florescent lamps at $32 each.  I did take it apart before installing it.  I just has one strip of LED lamps in it and is sealed from the weather.

LLT LED Garage Vapor Proof Fixture 4ft 36W 5000K IP66 - Daylight

LED-1.jpg

Here is an example of these installed in a large shop style garage. 

LED-3.jpg

Tinkering with another LED lamp which is a bit brighter and very easy to install on the ceiling.  Much cheaper.  These provide a daylight look in the garage.  A bit too bright to look at though.  Easy to mount and very thin.  These are $12 each.
Not sure how long these will last though.

Duttek LED Ceiling Lights,120V 24W 48 LEDs 6500K

LED-2.jpg

Pete

How do you keep that garage space so empty? It defies all laws of nature. Every time I make a little space it gets filled up as if it was a vacuum and sucking stuff into it.

Mike.

That was an example picture of a garage space with the new lighting.  I wish I had a garage that big. 

I have only purchased one lamp of each style to test.

I ended up using the tube lamp in the laundry room instead of the garage and the little flat LED lamp in the garage.

The laundry room now is daylight (very high on the WAF) and the garage lamp while very bright it too bright to look at - hurts the eyes.  That and the laundry room is equipped with an LCD TV replicate of her DTV stuff such that she can continue to watch her cooking show recording between rooms in the home.  That said now dealing with one of those new LG washer and dryer combination.  She doesn't like the automation on it; spooks her and she doesn't trust it.

Direction will probably be to use the tube lighting in the garage.  This will be replacing the new LED bulbs that I installed just about a week ago; which works but not as bright as the tube LED lighting. 

BTW

Relating to CC / DTV installation many years ago told / made installers just bring their cabling to the server room / inside telco d-mark and nothing else.  I patched their wires over to my wires in the house where the DTV boxes were.   The original GC had wired the telco with Cat5 to same area (which I used).  I did fine one cat3 wire used for telco which I tested the other day to work with Gb.  GC also ran RG-6 everywhere.  None of the wiring was daisy chained and all home runned.
This too is where I tested  the MOCA like RG6 ethernet connection.  (IE: already using it for the FIOS connection).  I just purchased it to see if it worked and the price was very reasonable.

In a new home build in 2000 (elevated ranch) here stopped the telco wiring telephones person from using cat3 and daisy chaining all of the connections.  I was lucky to be present.  I made him redo it all with cat5e and changed the home run to a new designated center placed communications closet.  Started with DTV for television there and installed my cabling to the outside of the home, used my own dish and just connected the equipment.  Later on went to a using a mini multiple mini LNB mount for 4 LNB's for Dish and DTV viewing. For Verizon FIOS the installer used existing RG-6 rather than the ethernet cabling.  That said I installed it with him as he almost started to drill anywhere in to the home willy nilly fashion.  I put the telco stuff in a walk in closet rather than his choice of the middle of the master bedroom.

Having learned all of the stuff in the commercial world in the 1990's wanted home to be the same. 

mikefamig said:
A couple of years ago I got tired of messing with the OHD light and went the extra mile. I bought a Leviton occupancy sensor and installed it to control fluorescent ceiling lights and took the bulb from the door opener and threw it away. The light goes on if the door opens and if anyone enters the garage from teh house. It's way better than what Liftmaster is willing to do.

Mike.

The problem I ran into with that is that my garage doors cast a shadow when they're open (i.e. suspended horizontally between the light source on the ceiling and the floor/workspace)..  However, the bulbs on the GDO are below the garage door even when open, so they don't cast a shadow downward.  So, even if you have motion activated regular ceiling lights, there's still value in having the GDO lights.

Back