garage opener bulbs keep coming loose

NeverDie said:
The problem I ran into with that is that my garage doors cast a shadow when they're open (i.e. suspended horizontally between the light source on the ceiling and the floor/workspace)..  However, the bulbs on the GDO are below the garage door even when open, so they don't cast a shadow downward.  So, even if you have motion activated regular ceiling lights, there's still value in having the GDO lights.

I don't have that problem because the occupancy sensor is controlling two 4' fluorescent tube lights that light the entire room and are not covered by the door. You might want to get a surface mount light fixture or two and add them. The Leviton occupancy sensor also allowed me to add one or more LV momentary switches that over-ride the sensor whenever I want to control the lights manually. This way when I leave the room I can turn the lights off manually but if I forget to turn them off the sensor will do it for me a few minutes later.

Mike.

Just looking here at the GDO and there is a front and back lamp.  That said the garage door stops before getting to the GDO but blocks the light to the floor there.  There are also the buttons on the open buttons for the lighting.  Pressing it once turns on the GDO lamps for a few minutes.  Hold the light button until it starts to flash keeps the lights on.

Thinking will try Mike's Leviton Occupancy sensor thing as here use an outdoor PIR / UPB switch while works most of the time; doesn't always work.

Just recently testing out these flat circular LED lamps which are about 24 watts in addition to two LED lamp bulbs.  The entire garage lights up with one of the new circular LED lamps.  Might add two more in a triangular fashion for daylight.  The lights are so bright that it is irritating to the eye.  I like to do stuff in the garage and the more light the better for me these days (well it might be an age thing).

The GDO door / PIR triggers a UPB lighting event such that the garage is daylight (day or night here).

Daylight temperature bulbs do seem to be irritating to the eye at night outside.

4100-5000K bulbs seem somewhat better but I suspect many of them have low CRIs too, missing spectrum holes and attempting to make up for it by an over intense narrow band, usually blue.

The new daylight LED's in the garage are 6500k and do a fine job creating daylight in the garage.  Only thing is not to look at them.

Might install some sort of plastic over them to diffuse the light a bit.  I may also add another wire / switch for two sets of lighting in the garage.

Already using a dual load UPB switch there.  The second load today illuminates lighting under the counters of my work benches.

The laundry room LED tube is 5000k and is better and not harsh on the eyes at all.

I box boxes of the 6500K daylight tubes and they seem fine, even in the kitchen which is open to the TV room with warmer whites.

The CFL 6500 is brutal though. I built this house about 8 years ago and filled every light in the place with 6500 daylight CFLs.

Today I only have a few in yellow/brown glass shades left. The rest got shipped out as handouts to others. Nasty, nasty light. I always felt like I was going blind under them. Maybe a poor CRI? that is coming to light recently (pun intended).

As an interesting sidenote: We found ourselves coming home late at night to find lights on very frequently.
We have mainly ceiling pot lights that are recessed and when you leave a room during the day you can't tell they are on, being the colour as daylight, coming in the windows. Chaned the bulbs and it rarely happens anymore. Matter of fact it only happens in the closet where I have been to lazy to get a ladder to change the bulb on the 10' ceiling.

Back