Getting started in HTPC's

BTW, what skin are you using to playback DVDs? I'm trying to play one now via placeshifter/SageMC Skin to see what it does, although it's not working cuz my kids are using the 1 concurrent license right now for the MVP.

hmmmm
IVB said:
I rip in IFO/file format (not ISO/image)

BTW, what skin are you using to playback DVDs? I'm trying to play one now via placeshifter/SageMC Skin to see what it does, although it's not working cuz my kids are using the 1 concurrent license right now for the MVP.

Skin? I havent done anything to the "downloaded" version.. I am using the vanilla flavor

oh - so how are you actually selecting the DVD for playback, or is this a "live" DVD?

did you set that folder up as an import folder? I didn't realize the stock screens had a "play ripped DVDs" menu option.

did you set that folder up as an import folder? I didn't realize the stock screens had a "play ripped DVDs" menu option.

Yes it is in my videos folder, which is the import folder for well..... videos, I kew you would guess that :huh:

There is no Play ripped DVDs option it is showing up under Media center, Videos, DVDs

total guess here, try downloading & intalling the SageMC skin, use the DVD button there to play one, see how well that works.

I would guess something is wrong with your ripped copy. Try it again.

Mine rip in less than 10 minutes... and transferring to my server takes less than 10 minutes. I can't see why it would take 90 minutes.

I rip mine in standard DVD format (VOBs). Creates a top level folder (movie name), with Audio_TS and Video_TS under it.

To watch in Sage (using an extender, I've never used Placeshifter) I just select the DVD and hit play. :huh:

So here's an update... IVB helped me alot (THANK YOU SO MUCH) the other day he also recomended I try to install theatertek but, I am still having a problem with watching the movies. I deleted the first rip as I could not play it directly without sage. I have ripped additional movies (which I can watch locally) and they takw between 30 - 50 minutes on two diffrent machines not as bad but Id like to get it faster... but I still can not play them back in either placeshifter or sage client. In place shifter I get a error -19 and in sage client it is a long error about not being able to access the files. I am going to post over on their forum as the server is installed on a Windows Home Server box with the new WHS SageTV addin which may be having peoblems as this this it their first shot at WHS as it is a new OS.

My current problem is I dont have an extender and they are out of stock..... so I cant even get one and try it without having to buy the software and an exender (as Im sure my trial license will run out before they are back in stock!) I guess I could buy a one off the web and then buy a sage license seperatly.....Well I may just have to bite the bullet, and give it a shot. If something goes totally wrong do they allow me to sell the extender and license to someone who can use it?

And does anyone know of a PCI (not PCI express) card that does digital (QAM)? Id rather get that to start off and not have to deal with getting one later....

THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT AND ADVICE (Sorry for hijacking the thread)

My current problem is I dont have an extender and they are out of stock..... so I cant even get one and try it without having to buy the software and an exender (as Im sure my trial license will run out before they are back in stock!) I guess I could buy a one off the web and then buy a sage license seperatly.....Well I may just have to bite the bullet, and give it a shot. If something goes totally wrong do they allow me to sell the extender and license to someone who can use it?
Don't buy a SagePlaceShifter license - the MVP comes with one. I dunno about reselling the license, i'd email [email protected] and check with them first.
And does anyone know of a PCI (not PCI express) card that does digital (QAM)? Id rather get that to start off and not have to deal with getting one later....
Stretching into the way back machine, I *think* the Fusion series cards do QAM. Check the SageTV forums though, there are most likely certain cards that work better than others.

Back