Getting started in HTPC's

I'll just answer here instead of copying the whole post again.
- Set top box is an device used to convert cable/satellite into something you can watch. You can't just connect your satellite feeds into your tv - they go into a STB (set top box).

- yes, it appears most of the new HD encoders will be using USB connections to the server.

- My video network is 100baseT - standard ethernet. no issues running multiple streams (I tested all 5 simultaneous with a mix of HD and DVDs and no issues)

- 1 server can control all your inputs... OTA (over the air), satellite, cable, etc. You just have multiple encoders with different capabilities. What is nice is that Sage blends these inputs into 1 grid guide (without duplication) so you just pick what you want to watch... no worrying about which tuner it's on, etc. It handles all that for you... completely transparent.

- correct, other than OTA or QAM (cable that doesn't require a STB), there haven't been any HD options. With these new encoders coming, now we have some options.

- correct... any tv that you want to display something recorded on your server will require either a MVP (SD) or HD Extender (HD) or a PC.

- 5.1 is recorded on my OTA HD and works fine with the extenders (SPDIF or HDMI) and MVPs (SPDIF outputs). However, my satellite SD feeds are not in 5.1. The new HD Encoders appear to support 5.1.

Curly, sounds like you agree with me in that the Sage website absolutely SUCKS in telling us what their product does and why we need it.

Thanks, I am getting a much better understanding, what sage is, how it works, what is needed. Thanks Bruce for your help. What are some ways to cut cost? Computer end you could buy discounted, used eq, etc. How about with the other stuff?

I'll just answer here instead of copying the whole post again.
- Set top box is an device used to convert cable/satellite into something you can watch. You can't just connect your satellite feeds into your tv - they go into a STB (set top box).

- yes, it appears most of the new HD encoders will be using USB connections to the server.

- My video network is 100baseT - standard ethernet. no issues running multiple streams (I tested all 5 simultaneous with a mix of HD and DVDs and no issues)

- 1 server can control all your inputs... OTA (over the air), satellite, cable, etc. You just have multiple encoders with different capabilities. What is nice is that Sage blends these inputs into 1 grid guide (without duplication) so you just pick what you want to watch... no worrying about which tuner it's on, etc. It handles all that for you... completely transparent.

- correct, other than OTA or QAM (cable that doesn't require a STB), there haven't been any HD options. With these new encoders coming, now we have some options.

- correct... any tv that you want to display something recorded on your server will require either a MVP (SD) or HD Extender (HD) or a PC.

- 5.1 is recorded on my OTA HD and works fine with the extenders (SPDIF or HDMI) and MVPs (SPDIF outputs). However, my satellite SD feeds are not in 5.1. The new HD Encoders appear to support 5.1.

No kidding... I was going to see if they had a phone and give a tech a call. Bruce has helped much. Yes, they need to get someone to write up some info and hang it on there site. Even some simple flow dia (diff configeration) would explaine much.

Curly, sounds like you agree with me in that the Sage website absolutely SUCKS in telling us what their product does and why we need it.

I got my HTPC up and running with Sage about two weeks ago, and love it! So far, I have just used it for ripped DVDs, but am starting to mess around with the live and recorded TV portion. Here is my setup:

Thermaltake Bach case
Ultra X-Connect 600W power supply
Abit IP35 Pro motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 (2.2Ghz) processor
2GB Crucial memory
Nvidia 8500 GT video card w/ comp. out
Seagate 80GB Hard Drive (OS)
2 x Seagate 500GB Hard Drives (video data)
LiteOn SATA Dual Layer DVD/RW

I like the Bach case a lot. There is lots of space inside, and the standard fans (3 of them) are near silent. The one downside is that the space below the hard drives is a bit cramped. With the IP35, you would have to take out the hard drives, in order to access the memory in slots 2 and 3. The Ultra X-Connect power supply is great too. Very quiet, and I really like only hooking up the power connectors that you needed. I originally went with an ATI X1650 Pro w/ comp out. The ATI card was great, but the fan on it was SUPER loud. I went with the Nvidia, as it had no fan. The Seagate hard drives are great; the 2 500GB ones are set up in RAID-0.

I am currently using an external eSATA 1TB drive to back up any movies that I rip. I know that I will probably outgrow the 1TB of space, and this type of backup, but for now it works.

I am using it stand alone for right now, but will use extenders in the future (just ordered my HD one today).

Here is a pic of the inside of the case, with the old ATI card.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 32
Your 2x 500gb HD, they are for? They are for real time recording, and to record one show and watch another? The 80gb is for OS. You said you use external eSATA 1T for movie/show storage? Why did you decide to go with Nvidia?

nice looking setup.
Rene

I got my HTPC up and running with Sage about two weeks ago, and love it! So far, I have just used it for ripped DVDs, but am starting to mess around with the live and recorded TV portion. Here is my setup:

Thermaltake Bach case
Ultra X-Connect 600W power supply
Abit IP35 Pro motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 (2.2Ghz) processor
2GB Crucial memory
Nvidia 8500 GT video card w/ comp. out
Seagate 80GB Hard Drive (OS)
2 x Seagate 500GB Hard Drives (video data)
LiteOn SATA Dual Layer DVD/RW

I like the Bach case a lot. There is lots of space inside, and the standard fans (3 of them) are near silent. The one downside is that the space below the hard drives is a bit cramped. With the IP35, you would have to take out the hard drives, in order to access the memory in slots 2 and 3. The Ultra X-Connect power supply is great too. Very quiet, and I really like only hooking up the power connectors that you needed. I originally went with an ATI X1650 Pro w/ comp out. The ATI card was great, but the fan on it was SUPER loud. I went with the Nvidia, as it had no fan. The Seagate hard drives are great; the 2 500GB ones are set up in RAID-0.

I am currently using an external eSATA 1TB drive to back up any movies that I rip. I know that I will probably outgrow the 1TB of space, and this type of backup, but for now it works.

I am using it stand alone for right now, but will use extenders in the future (just ordered my HD one today).

Here is a pic of the inside of the case, with the old ATI card.

Your 2x 500gb HD, they are for? They are for real time recording, and to record one show and watch another? The 80gb is for OS. You said you use external eSATA 1T for movie/show storage? Why did you decide to go with Nvidia?

nice looking setup.
Rene

The 2 500GB are for real time recording and movie/show storage. The 80GB is for OS. The eSATA 1T is for backing up the 2 500GB drives, so that if one goes, I can easily restore. I could have done 2x1TB in RAID-1 on the server, but this way, I can store the backup offsite.

The only reason I chose the Nvidia was because it was fanless, had Comp. out, and was cheap. I plan on using extenders for playback eventually.

Oh, and I forgot to add that I am using a Hauppage HVR-1800 for capture, but hope to get a Comp. capture device when they are available.

Back