HAI omnipro tamper zone readings

cestor

Just setting up an omnipro 2 for the first time and have come across a question- I have wired some PIRs in to Burgar zones, and I have also wired the tamper circuits of each one in series, with the last one device set to use a 1000k EOL resistor.

Using PC access the tamper zone has a status of Not Ready and a loop value of 252.
The other PIRs seem to fluctuate between 128 (secured) 95(Trouble) and 253 (Not Ready) even when unarmed, depending on whether someone walks in front of them..

Does this sound right?

Are you wiring the tamper detection into a separate zone, or wiring the tamper detection in series with the PIR output?
Sounds like the PIRs are wired into individual burglar zones and all of the tamper circuits are wired into one loop.

If wired separately, you need EOL resistors on each PIR loops too. Those outputs sound OK except for the trouble indication.

Do you have EOL resistors set to "Yes" in PCAccess?
You have to use them on all loops or no loops, you can't set individual zones to use EOLs.

The loops should be in series as you stated.
It sounds like the tamper loop is not wired correctly, you have an open loop.

Did you test yor loops with a multi-meter?
I test for continuity and resistance readings.

cestor said:
Just setting up an omnipro 2 for the first time and have come across a question- I have wired some PIRs in to Burgar zones, and I have also wired the tamper circuits of each one in series, with the last one device set to use a 1000k EOL resistor.

Using PC access the tamper zone has a status of Not Ready and a loop value of 252.
The other PIRs seem to fluctuate between 128 (secured) 95(Trouble) and 253 (Not Ready) even when unarmed, depending on whether someone walks in front of them..

Does this sound right?

Hmmm... Hopefully you are not using a 1000K or even a 100K EOL resistor. The correct value is 1000 ohms.

Each zone is nothing more than an ohm meter. If you put 1000 ohms across a zone set for EOL resisters, you should get about 128.  If the number is higher, your resistance is too high. If its lower, your resistance is too low. Its as simple as that.

I have EOL resistors set to No in PC Access so there is no resistor on the PIR circuits. I have assumed (maybe this is incorrect) that the Burglary zones do not need one, but the tamper circuit does.

However, on the tamper zone, I meant that I had a 1K resistor wired in series.
I haven't checked with a multimeter yet.

As Desert_AIP stated, its all or nothing for EOL on the Omni Pro II. If the setting is off, you use none, if its on, you need them on all zones.  I'm not sure I understand your comment about them not being needed on burglar zones. It doesn't appear you fully understand why EOL resistors are used. You place EOL resistors in series at the motion sensors or window sensors. This allows the panel to detect wiring faults. Should a cable be pinched and the two wires become shorted together, the panel will know because the 1000 ohm EOL resistor will no longer be "seen" by the panel. I highly would recommend you use EOL resistors, and if at all possible, put them as close to the sensor as possible. Don't put them in the panel, where they basically do nothing. Its very good practice to use EOL resistors on all zones.

If you decide NOT to use EOL resistors, that is fine, not a good idea, but fine. The panel will no longer correctly detect most wire faults. If a cable is pinched and shorted, your basically out of luck, the panel won't tell you. When someone breaks in on through that window or sensor, no alarm.

Also, back to your original comment:
It is normal for a zone (armed or not) to fluctuate between secure (128) and not ready (253) when someone triggers it. They are always watched, armed or not. It shouldn't be trouble (95). Don't believe that one unless it stays at 95 for more than a second. If it does, you may have a wiring problem.

OK, I have now changed the settings to use EOL resistors on all zones.
Inside the last PIR on the tamper circuit there is a jumper that I have set so that it is at 1k resistance on the tamper circuit.
In each PIR, the jumper is set to 1K resistance on the alarm circuit.

PIR 1 now fluctuates between 128 (Not Ready) when nothing is detected and 148 (secure) when detecting
PIR 2 (last device on the tamper circuit) now fluctuates between 162 (Trouble) and 179 (Trouble)

Tamper Zone is constantly on 186 Trouble.

Using a multimeter I found that there was a problem with the tamper switch on PIR 2 which I fixed. The PIR readings are now showing as 128 Not Ready when not detecting anything and 148 Secure when detecting.
Tamper is on 128 Not Ready.
I think this is correct- thanks for all the help

Sounds like you have the resistor in parallel instead of series, unless these are not normal PIR's and have some sort of DEOLR

Yeah, something isn't correct.  Make sure all your sensors are Normally Closed. The EOL resistor goes in series with Normally Closed sensors. If a sensor is Normally Open, put the EOL in series with it.

If you have multiple Normally Closed sensors in series, put the EOL resistor ONLY in one sensor, normally the one furthest from the panel. You only use ONE EOL per zone, no matter how many sensors on that zone.

Your normal reading when a zone is secure should be in the 148 - 150 range, give or take a few. If a Normally Closed sensor is NOT READY, your see a number close to 255.  These are the only two numbers you should see. (A Normally Open sensor NOT READY will read below about 5. That is OK also.)

When no one is moving, and all windows and doors are closed, the numbers should be around 148 - 150.  If you don't have that, you have a problem.

Unfortunately I can't access the link above with the readings - I get an error. Can someone post this?
What I have at the moment on all PIRs is 128 Not Ready when nothing is happening and 148 Secure when motion is detected.

Does it really make a difference whether Not Ready is 128 or 248?

I am using a 1k dip switch inside each PIR to set the resistance for each circuit.

Sorry about the bad link, I fixed it (I hope).

The basic numbers are:

SECURE - 137-157
NOT READY - 201-255

The other conditions are:
HIGH SIDE GROUND FAULT
TROUBLE
LOW SIDE GROUND
TROUBLE
CLOSED

The numbers you are getting for NOT READY correspond to the CLOSED readings, 111-136.
That will produce an alarm condition but it is not the same as an open circuit NOT READY.

It sounds like you have the zone wired with the EOL in parallel rather than series.
It also sounds like the PIR has a NO output.

The NOT READY condition is essentially an open circuit when the contacts of the sensor open, I this case the PIR relay opens.

What resistance do you measure on a multi-meter in the two cases?

Is the PIR output NO or NC?
Most security sensors should be NC.

Back