HAI omnipro2 zigbee headaches

njemoore

After two days of searching forums and the web in general, I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm installing an omnipro2, having had prior experience with Elk M1G. I've been able to install consoles, two-way voice, GE wireless smokes, and HAI wireless keyfobs without too much trouble. I've also installed 5 zigbee omnistat2 thermostats, controlling boiler valves and air-handlers.

On their own, the thermostats work fine. I have the zigbee interface module (ZIM) plugged into serial port 1 (far upper left) and I've set the jumper to 485. Here are the problems I'm having:

3 of the 5 thermostats won't enroll when I initiate enrollment from the ZIM. I get an error at the tstat saying wrong key.

I can't figure out how to interface with zigbee via PC Access. I found a webinar that shows a serial tab under expansion in the setup menu, but I don't have that option in PC Access. I've tried to set the serial port type from one of the consoles, but I must be doing it incorrectly, because I still can't see any serial devices in PCA. By the way, the serial port is powering the ZIM and the port activity lights on the omnipro2 board show activity.

I bet I'm missing an obvious step - can anyone tell what it is?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you running the latest version of PC Access and the latest firmware on the panel. Zigbee is very new to the system and full support was just added.

You say you have the ZIM plugged into serial port 1 and jumpered to RS-485, but did you also set "Zigbee" as the function type? Additionally, when you go to the thermostat config in PC Access, you can now set Zigbee as the protocol type in there and do the "Enroll" and "Disband" funtions directly from the software. If you don't have these options, then you need to update PC Access and the panel firmware.

Thanks for the tips. How do I set zigbee as the "function type"? On the PCA software, I don't even see serial ports as an option. Using the console, I wasn't able to set the serial port type to zigbee (type 27).

I upgraded the panel to 3.10 very early this morning (from 3.9). I'm not sure which PCA version I have, but I updated it over the web last week (I think it's 3.10). I bought the software a month ago, but perhaps it was old stock. I'll check on that tonight.

Is there anything else I might need to do to get a "serial port" option under "expansion" in PCA?

When PC Access is runnig does it say "Dealer PC Access" on the title bar or just "PC Access". If you don't have the dealer version then you can not access any settings that require a dealer code. If you are a DIY installer I would recommend getting the dealer version of PC Access.

It sounds like that may be part of the problem. My disc says end user edition. I guess I'll have to buy the other version if I can't enable zigbee from the console. I think you've solved one of my problems - thanks.

Regarding the omnistat 2 zigbee connection failure with the ZIM, is it possible that different firmware versions won't talk to each other? I've noticed that the tstats have firmware versions between 11.x and 14.x

Back